New; need some help/opinions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I live in Fallston, Harford County, Maryland. I am sort of new to this; I have a Radio Shack Pro-2030 that I bought years ago and haven't used in years. I uncovered it while reorganizing my workshop and thought it would be nice to set it up in my "new" shop. After searching for and programming about 50 frequencies I wasn't getting any transmissions except on one or two channels. After checking on line; if I understand correctly, it seems that I need to spend about $500 for a new digital scanner to be able to receive pretty much all of the local traffic. If this is not correct I would appreciate it if someone would let me know as that is way more than I am willing to spend!

The best I can find so far is a Radio Shack Pro-197 for around $300 used on EBay. From all of the write-ups it would seem this unit is about the best out there except for one reoccurring theme. Pretty much everyone warns that it is extremely difficult to program and many recommend that a new user not purchase the unit. Would I be getting in way over my head if I bought the Pro-197?

Sorry to be so long winded! Any suggestions, opinions &/or assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Tom

n4yek

Yep, you will need a digital scanner. They are difficult to understand at first, but once you learn how to program one, you understand why they are different now. Basically much better memory utilization is the reason.
Look on e-bay, you can find some good deals on there with used scanners that will work fine. I have heard people like the Pro-197 so I don't think you could go wrong there either.
Have fun and happy scanning.

N8IAA

There is a software programming available for the Pro-197 written by Don Starr: Win500. It has a 30 day free trial. There, also, available PSREdit and Butel for the Pro-197/GRE-600. I have used both Win500 and PSREdit. I prefer Win500 myself. It makes it easier to understand the radio and how it works.
I also suggest that you post in the Maryland forum to see if there is anyone close that can assist you in programming a new radio. Welcome back to the hobby. No, you are not getting in over your head. You just need to rethink how the scanner works. I own the handheld version:106, and truly love the scanner. Once the object oriented memory makes sense, it is a breeze to use. The radio has 3900 objects that can be used in 20 different scan lists (think of it as 20 scanner banks). This is kind of simplified.
HTH,
Larry

Last edited:

BaLa

Well you managed to find this place..so you'll be ok

Any of the Dynamic Memory or Object Oriented scanners are prolly gonna be a PITA to get used to/learn.
Once you do it's not really that bad.

Thanks for the replies, I am sure I am going to need more help with this. I just won an auction on EBay for a Pro-197; I should have it by the end of the week. I had to pay $351 for it but that still seems like a good deal. I just found out a good friend of mine is really into scanners/radios. He does not have a digital scanner yet but I think he will be a big help working with mine. I am sure I will be posting for some additional help here soon. Thanks again, Tom!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
88YJ we have a pretty active Maryland forum. When you get your scanner, jump in there. Be sure to ask about software in the software forum - here's the page that lists the various packages compatible with the 197 (link below)

Object Oriented Scanner Software - The RadioReference Wiki

You might also get a premium subscription so you will be able to download data from the database into the editor for the software. Float your mouse above About in the blue toolbar and select the link

73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.