need help with a purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

cityboy

Hey Guys,
Im new to digital scanners and i was wandering if this is a good price for this item and the extras that come with it...this guy is selling a Uniden Bearcat BCD396T (Handheld Digital Scanner) - $400,he says he had it for little over a year and it was slightly used...he bought the scanner from scannermaster.com
he metions it comes with everything in the original box and I also got the accessory package from Scannermaster which includes: Leather carrying case w/swivel ($29.95) & ARC396 Basic Software CD ($39.95).
also,is this portable hard to program with the software he he providing???
thank you so much.

rvictor

Don't really know what the prices are on used 396Ts, but it's a fine scanner. You should be aware, however, that Uniden recently released the 396XT, which is its successor. The XT has a number of improvements over the T. The new XTs are selling for about $500.

While there's a bit of a learning curve programming trunking scanners if you haven't done it before, the ARC software or one of the free programs, BCTool or FreeScan make the job much easier. The USAD software which, I believe, came with the 396T also will do the job. If you decide to buy a new XT instead of the T, the only free program at the moment that will work is FreeScan and it's excellent. Uniden is working on USAD for the XT, but it isn't released yet. There is also ProScan (for both the T and the XT) which is a fine program, but not free.

Dick

MOTOROLANUT

New Vs Used

Keep in Mind Radio Shack (GRE scanners) go on sale from time to time, Pro106 and Pro 197 around $400.00 plus tax, And you are getting a new scanner with a warranty too. You can download a free trial of about three kinds of programming software and the programming cable is around $30.00 plus change.

Not to piss on anyones sale but I would not pay over $300.00 to $350.00 for a used 396 scanner thats a year old plus its out dated by a new Uniden model (XT) which I guarantee people will like the nac decoding features better on the XT. You would be better off saving up the extra money and buying the XT

Just my 2 cents....

JoeyC

Keep in Mind Radio Shack (GRE scanners) go on sale from time to time, Pro106 and Pro 197 around $400.00 plus tax, And you are getting a new scanner with a warranty too. You can download a free trial of about three kinds of programming software and the programming cable is around $30.00 plus change.

Not to piss on anyones sale but I would not pay over $300.00 to $350.00 for a used 396 scanner thats a year old plus its out dated by a new Uniden model (XT) which I guarantee people will like the nac decoding features better on the XT. You would be better off saving up the extra money and buying the XT

Just my 2 cents....

Agreed. I would never buy someones used stuff unless I personally knew the seller. You really don't know what you are getting, and with as many I've been screwed stories you read on here its not worth the headache for saving a couple dollars.

cityboy

thank you so much for the responses...i am not going to purchase BCD396T,i really dont know the seller of this scanner..thanks for the heads up about the new one...

Status
Not open for further replies.