Can you use THESE Radios for SCANNING?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VINFROMLINDEN

Can one use the HT 1000, 1250, Saber, EF Johnson (and others of this type) as a scanner/monitor??

I am NOT a "NOOB" but have no experience with these types of radios, (only rat shack;) scanners) or their capabilities/limitations.

Please excuse the "Multiple Questions" but I would like to know the answers to the following:

Could a digital radio be used to monitor the newer P-25 (unencrypted of course!) digital networks?:confused:

Have heard they are a lot more sensitive and clearer sound:
T/F?

I would like to monitor only 1-2 departments/5-8 freeqs. Can these be programmed to monitor these frequencies, and can TX be "disabled" (to avoid inadvertent transmitting)?

I would like to buy one, but am not sure how they are programmed i.e. who does it-me? or if it's even possible-Like I said I am unsure of their capabilities.:confused:

Finally, I listen to mostly Public Safety (police) around 150.000 to 160.000 and 450.000 to 470.000. Would one radio do both?

What is a good model (if these type of radios CAN be used?):roll:

~Thanks Members~

JnglMassiv

The answer is a big, fat 'it depends'. If you're referring to a P25 trunked system (ie 9600b), the answer is no, you cannot generally monitor. If it's a 3600b sys or P25/Astro/IMBE/Digital conventional, then you may be able to monitor and indeed, see a benefit.

I'm not aware of any dual band P25 commercial radios.

It's certainly not for the uninitiated or the faint of heart.

If there was ever a newbie minefield, it's Motorola portables.

VINFROMLINDEN

CAN these radios be used for SCANNING?

Let me rephrase, and redirect.

Let's forget the P25 Digitial "minefield". :wink:

Can I scan (Monitor actually is better word, since these do not "scan", per se) CONVENTIONAL frequencies using these types of radios?

T/F?:confused:

If so; Whom (if ME, is it "difficult to change these radios' "specs"?)
would set up these radios for the freeqs one would like to monitor?...

Are these better for monitoring a specific frequency? Can some members who have "experience" using these add their experiences to this thread?

I have "moderate" scanning experience-so I am familiar with some "things"-but I am a TOTAL NEW JACK :roll: when it comes to these radios-so please keep smarmy replies to a minimum please...:mad:

scansalot52

There is at least one brand of radio for public safety use which is multiband. It is NOT inexpensive. So if you have an unlimited budget, in the thousands, then you could buy a dual band PS radio.

Normally you cannot pick up UHF on a VHF radio or visa versa. One way that you "could" pick up UHF on a VHF or visa versa is if the agencies involved have an agreement to patch one frequency to the other. YOU can't make the radio do that yourself. Its not a function controlled by the radio in your hand.

Who programs the radio to act like a scanner or do anything else for that matter, is ususally a dealer or agency having the correct software and cables. Some software and cables are available to individuals by some companies. Make sure you DISable the transmit function of frequencies for which you have no authority to transmit.

I own and operate two way radios set up to act in the manner you describe. I also have the authority to transmit on some frequencies. If you are going to monitor one conventional frequency only, then there may be some advantages of using this instead of a scanner. However, there are some things that can be done with a scanner that can't be done with a two way set to act as a scanner or as a monitor or can't be done easily or cheaply.

The priority channel on a two way usually has to be programmed so the pri channel can't be changed on the flyas it can be on a scanner.
A scanner can easily be run off a power adapter for 110v or 12v to save batteries. You might be able to get similar equipment for a two way, but it will be costly.
Antenna connectors for two way radios of different makes and models are not always compatible. Modern day scanners usually use two different connector types which makes it very easy to buy diffent antennas for different purposes at a lesser cost than for two ways.

These are general answers to your questions. Specifics can be answered through individual research. There are probably exceptions to my general answers. Someone who wants to detail them here is more than welcome to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.