How can my friend use a Mobile Trunking Scanner to avoid a speeding ticket while trav

Status
Not open for further replies.

schindyguy

I have a friend that is planning a roadtrip across the US:

-Los Angeles to Las Vegas
-Las Vegas to Sedona, AZ
-Sedona, AZ to Albuquerque, NM
-Albuquerque, NM to Dallas, TX
-Dallas, TX to New Orleans, LA
-New Orleans, LA to Orlando, FL
-Orlando, FL to Miami, FL

He has bought the Uniden BCD996T Mobile Trunking Scanner (Uniden | A World Without Wires - BCD996T) in hope of using it to try and avoid a speeding ticket.

We are both complete newbs to CB, scanners, frequencies, etc.

After a some research I found out he should be listening in on 2 bands: police radio frequency bands and truckers frequencies (citizens band) CB radio. That way he can listen in on the truckers talking about speed traps and the police talking about whats going on in the area.

Will he need to use a frequency database to find the different codes (possibly provided at Scanner Master - Police Scanners by Uniden Bearcat, AOR and Radio Shack. or on this site)?

How do you program it to work in this manner?

Any suggestions in general for using it efficiently?

Thanks for your help

schindyguy

Amazing Answer!!!

Well thought out, had a beginning, middle, and end and summed up everything for me!

Thanks NWtoSFO

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Tell him not to exceed the speed limit.
People who purposely try to use a scanner to break the law are one of the reasons Law Enforcement more and more want to have comms encrypted etc so nobody can hear what is going on. In most jurisdictions it is technically illegal to "use a scanner while mobile in furtherance of a crime". You won't get much help/sympathy here. As others have said, just don't exceed the speed limit.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the RR forums.

I think you are aware of what the members are talking about concerning this question. I certainly do not use my scanners to avoid speed traps etc, it will never work, and some states illegal to have scanners in a vehicle.

I will leave this thread here so any other newcomers coming on this forum will get to see these answers for there reference.

Take care

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
He has bought the Uniden BCD996T Mobile Trunking Scanner (Uniden | A World Without Wires - BCD996T) in hope of using it to try and avoid a speeding ticket.

Um... wow. Where to begin?

First of all, that's a TERRIBLE reason to buy a scanner. You would have far better luck with a radar detector. Even that is no guarantee. But hey, to each his own, and I'd be lying if I said my scanners haven't saved my bacon a time or two. I've been known to put the "hammer down" on some long drives. :D

What you're proposing takes a LOT of research. Just having a scanner isn't going to help you if you don't know what to listen to. A Project 25 compliant radio system rarely has JUST the police on it. So listening to the "police bands" will probably net you alot of unrelated radio traffic. Most local coppers avoid the highways anyway.

The CB frequencies are good, but buy an actual CB for this. That way your pal can ask for a "bear check" in the direction he's heading. The truckers will know what that means. Also, the CB is particularly chatty on their channel. You won't want the scanner tied up on some guy yammering on about the hooker he picked up at the last truck stop when the state trooper calls out your license tag for a warrant check as he's racing to catch up to you.

Channel 19 is the usual spot you'll find truckers, at least out west. They are somewhat reliable for relaying speed traps but they are usually a much better source for spotting "gators" in the road - that's trucker talk for a shredded tire. They don't like to run those over because they tend to cut the air lines they have on their rigs which is a show stopper for them until they can get 'em fixed. You don't want to run those over either - whatever made THAT tire flat is probably still in it and depending on how fast you're flying, a "gator" can ruin your day.

The scanner does have something that will be helpful and that's Close Call. Read up on how to configure that. You'll pick up any nearby transmission that the scanner is capable of receiving. Naturally you'll want to exclude such things as the FRS and Amateur bands.

Next up, research your intended route. Find out what highway patrol districts you'll be passing thru and program those channels into the scanner. The scanner has dynamic memory so set up a "system" for each state/leg of the trip. Keep a cheat sheet handy of the various radio codes that agency uses. The database here on RR contains all the frequency info you'll need, and you can find most agency's codes with a little google expertise.

Finally, as others have said, the only sure fire way to avoid a ticket is to DRIVE THE SPEED LIMIT. In most rural areas these days it's 75 which is plenty fast enough. Besides, you'll enjoy the trip more if you're not stressing about every cop car you see like some coyote with a trunk full of illegals, y'know? And you'll love having the scanner ride along with you, especially if the locals get into a pursuit on the same freeway you're on.

Hope that helps,
-AZ

jnewell

Whatever else there is to say, it just won't work, period. I've been listening to scanners for a decade and never, ever heard anything that would help me avoid a speeding ticket.

redhelmet13

Seriously, it would be best to stick with a CB on ch.19. (Hope you buddy isnt offended by soome colorful and rather salty language there). As the others have mentioned - bad idea to have the scanner. Best check before traveling about any state/local laws which might regulate the use of a mobile scanner in case you get pulled over.

and above all - drive safe please! better to get there late than not at all.

mdulrich

Feed Provider
When you drive 10 miles an hour over the speed limit, you end up going an extra 10 miles in an hour, ten whole miles. Multiple that by 10 hours of driving and you have travelled an exta 100 miles. Now take into account the time you will have to keep tuned to the scanner, CB, and radar detector instead of enjoying the drive and listening to some tunes. Get picked up for speeding and figure the money you lost paying for the ticket, not to mention the time lost sitting along the side of the road. To me it just isn't worth the little bit further down the road your hotel will be.

Mike

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to RadioReference!

How can my friend use a Mobile Trunking Scanner to avoid a speeding ticket while trav
He/she can't. And you should be aware that paying "too much" attention to the scanner (or CB or whatever) instead of the road and other drivers could have serious consequences. These type of distractions are listed as a high reason drivers get into wrecks.

I hear "speed enforcement" radio traffic all the time. Even at that, if you do not clearly know the roads/exits/etc being targeted; it does you no good. Since you're traveling, I doubt you'll know the landscape perfectly enough to know where stuff is happening. Then after saying all of this, I can also tell ya that enforcements are broadcast seldomly compared to how many they have going.

Lastly; you should know that typically a violation is raised to the next level when a violator attempts to evade, including using a scanner. There is another current thread here on RR that is discussing places where scanners in vehicles are prohibited altogether, with some exclusions.

SAFE TRAVELS!

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Besides the usual response here's a little experience-based answer.

I drive 50 miles each way for work. I've been doing this for over 5 years now.
I have all the jurisdictions figured out (3 counties, 2 cities 1 State), I even recognize dispatchers and officers by their voices. I know the landmarks and exit road names.

I still don't know where all the various agency's officers are on any given day.

Your friend stands little chance of improving his odds of avoiding the tickets. You can't monitor everything you need to and most especially figuring out how to monitor such a long route is a big challeng.

I listen so as to avoid getting caught in bad traffic tieups due to crashes. Works fairly well but isn't 100%.

Only thing your friend could do that would be successful would be to have air cover that could take out any police units in pursuit. Kind of expensive to implement and quite anti-social.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Folks,

Keep in mind that this is a newcomer forum, no question is stupid. Getting into this hobby can be overwhelming, so lets try and make there experience a good one.

Let this thread slide as the question was explaned for the OP.

mikepdx

...place the scanner on the floor/firewall just in front of the gas pedal. It should limit the amount your "friend" can push down on the gas...

Excellent reply, DELCOLHFC !
Someone always comes up with THE definitive answer.

In the many, many years that I've monitored LE radio,
it has been only on very, very rare occasions that I've heard a traffic unit
state over the air that he is working radar/speed enforcement at a specific location.
There's no reason to do so, unless assistance is being requested for some reason.

As a previous poster stated, you'd have to do an impossible amount of research
to understand what various jurisdictions along the route are talking about.

In my area, they regularly refer to highway names in "shorthand" .
i.e. They refer to a particular stretch of a highway as "the boulevard" or "the strip".
I know what they mean, but would a visitor know that they really mean Hwy 99?

When making a stop, our state troopers regularly only advise the dispatcher of
the milepost and the license plate of the vehicle being stopped.
It's redundant to advise the dispatcher of the highway he's on.
The dispatcher already knows which freeway that trooper's assigned to.
Would a visitor know that?

Advise your friend to stay close to the speed limit, keep his eyes
peeled (ahead and behind), go with the flow of traffic, not be
the lead car in the pack if the flow is above the posted limit
and use extra caution when he's the only car on the highway.

The above common sense advice would reduce the chance
of a speeding ticket far better than monitoring a scanner.

Last edited:

jnewell

The channel 19 CB comment was actually the best radio answer IMO. From the point of view of scanners, post #19 has it precisely correct (again, IMO and IME).

Last edited:

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
Ironically, when your friend crosses the border into sunny Florida he won't be able to hear the ones most likely to ticket him.... The Florida Highway Patrol, if I remember correctly, uses ProVoice AND is encrypted (basically, he won't hear anything inteligible)... According to the NEW Florida Scanner Law (2005), it is illegal to TRANSPORT a scanner in a vehicle in the Sunshine State unless you meet one of the very few exemptions. Unless your friend plans to stick with the hobby he might be better served to sell his scanner and use the money for gas (about 200 gallons at today's price where I live).

I have been a scannist for three decades at my most recent location, listening to multiple radios routinely and I sometimes lose track of where whatever is happening is happening.... A neophyte with a scanner in a speeding car looking for rollers is a wreck waiting to happen.... just don't speed, enjoy the drive and when you get back to the house, figure out how to become a world-class scannist....of course, using the resources available here at rr.com!

rvictor

While I'm just as sure as most of the posters that a scanner isn't going to help avoid speeding tickets, I'm wondering what happened to the zero tolerance that is supposedly in effect in this forum.

The point was made long ago--most of the rest are just piling on.

Dick

steveh552

He could return the scanner and get his 500 back to save in case he gets a ticket, OR i can send him my address, I would take a donation of unwanted digital equipment.

On a more serious answer, if the 996 has the beartracker function on it, turn it on, it MAY help, but I never use that on my unidens.

Status
Not open for further replies.