Pro-92?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giant420

I am looking to purchase my first scanner in 10+ years. I was originally considering the Pro-95, but it looks like the Pro-92 may be a better option.. From what I can gather, it offers support for PL codes and rebranding (if I can find a version 1). I will primarily be listening in the Ventura County area (Oxnard specifically). Are these features going to make a difference to me? It looks like everything I would be interested in is in the 150mhz range, so 800mhz rebranding does not matter much..

I dont need anything fancy.. I am just looking to spend ~$100 and see if I would get enough use out of it to warrant an upgrade down the line. Any suggestions?

N8IAA

Might I suggest the RS Pro-164, or, it's GRE brother, the PSR300? They are easily programed via Win97. They have more memory, better alphanumerics, brighter backlight, and support rebanding. I have owned 2 96's, and sold both. The newer analog/conventional scanners fit your needs much better.
JMHO,
Larry

Giant420

Hm, that does look like a better deal for another $75 or so.. I would much rather have the option of USB for upgrading firmware and such. eBay, here I come! Thanks!

Giant420

Alright, well after doing more research I ended up with a Pro-97. I found a deal and could not resist picking it up for about $70 shipped. I know it doesnt support rebranding, but I dont have hardly any trunked systems in my area, and even less in the 800mhz band. This seemed like a good choice for starting out (assuming it works).. :D

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
The PRO-97 is a great radio. You'll enjoy it. Did you purchase a USB cable also?

Giant420

Not yet.. I refuse to pay almost 50% of the cost of the scanner for a USB damn cable! Ive looked around, but I havent really found a deal yet.. Ill probably break down and buy one eventually, but that doesnt mean Ill be happy about it. :lol:

scansalot52

The scanner is discontinued, The cost of the cable is not 50% of the price of a current version scanner. The cable can be used with current RS or GRE scanners in case you want to upgrade.
I do understand your frustration though.

Giant420

Yeah I understand that.. Like I said, I will most likely break down and buy the cable at some point.. Probably when I figure out what a pain entering 1000 different freqs is.. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.