Brand new member seeking helpful advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. First post here after reading through the Scanning 101 FAQ and I'm impressed at the wealth of knowledge available. It's been a busy week at work so I haven't had time to read through everything yet but plan to tackle what I can in the weeks ahead. I'm completely new to handheld radios (I had a RadioShack scanner in high school but don't remember much from that time) but as far as hobbies go, I'm really into flashlights. That's how I stumbled upon this site actually. I was in the process of assembling a B.O.B (bug-out bag) or a emergency preparedness kit or whatever you want to call it. Got the first aid, knives, flashlights, spare clothes, H2O, food, lots of tools, etc. But I was missing a portable radio. I wasn't really sure what I was after at the time (and still am a bit lost) but I think I've got a better understanding of what I'm after to some extent now. First I sought out an Oregon Scientific weather radio with S.A.M.E. capabilitites but I wanted something with more features. So I posted a thread at candlepowerforums asking for handheld radio advice only to get very few replies; apparently the hobbies of flashlights and amateur radio don't intertwine too much.

Anyway, here's what I'm after and I appreciate any advice given. I'd like a small handheld radio to put in my B.O.B. with the following attributes:

- I'd like to be able to monitor emergency frequencies/channels for weather alerts (is this S.A.M.E. or NOAA??)
- I'd like to be able to run on primary cells and lithium-ion rechargeables both; AA's or CR123's are most preferable to me
- I'd like to be able to transmit as well as receive. For example, say I'm trapped in my attic among the flooded areas during Hurricane Katrina; it would be nice to transmit a signal to the proper authorities, either vocally or audible tone or whatever, to alert of my location so my family and myself can be more easily found.
- I'd like to be able to listen to police/fire conversations in my local area.
- I'd like some GPS capabilities to be built in if possible but this is not a necessity.
- Digital with Trunking would be nice, any thoughts on this?

That's about all I can think of at this time. Like I said, I'm completely new to the hobby and would like to purchase a device to start tinkering prior to taking my Amateur Radio Element 2 FCC License exam. I visited my local amateur radio retail store to ask a couple questions but they were closing in 5 minutes so I didn't want to be a nuissance. I was invited though to an APRA (??) seminar tomorrow evening, and purchased a license preparation book from the store.

I'd just like some honest feedback about what to buy; I'd rather hear your thoughts and spend more upfront to do it right than try to be cheap and regret it later. Would a Yaesu VX-8R perform the functions I'm seeking? I had originally inquired about a Uniden BCD396XT but obviously you can't transmit with it. Am I better off purchasing two separate devices; one for transceiving and one for scanning? I'd rather not spend more than $600 if possible.

Thanks for any help guys/gals, looking forward to becoming more involved in this hobby (time and budget permitting)!

BaLa

Digital Trunking is going to require a separate device/scanner.
You wont be able to Transmit on a scanner either of course.
So there goes your $600 budget :D

Why do you want a digital trunk capable scanner, do you NEED that for your area?
If not most 2m Ham Radios would have the capabilty of monitoring VHF Police/Fire Freqs also.

Why do you want a digital trunk capable scanner, do you NEED that for your area?
If not most 2m Ham Radios would have the capabilty of monitoring VHF Police/Fire Freqs also.

That's good to know thanks, shows how new I am to the hobby ;) No reason really; when I queried scannermaster.com about the BCD396XT I was told that TrunkTrackerIV was the latest greatest thing and that I should look for it on any scanner I would possibly purchase. Could have been a sales pitch I suppose?

So I take it that a Yaesu VX-8R will do for the most part just about everything the BCD396XT can?

rvictor

Welcome from an Amateur Radio operator and another flashlight buff. Many lights from Surefire, Fenix, and a great headlamp recently from Zebra among the many here. You'll find most of the radio stuff will use AAs, and not much call for the CR123s. Too expensive unless you buy them in quantities like us flashlight people do.

Sounds to me like a 2 meter handheld with scanning capabilities would give you the ability to listen to the weather broadcasts from N.O.A.A., participate in weather nets on 2 meters, call for help on 2 meters, and scan the airbands and vhf public service bands plus just chatting. If you can go for a combination 2 meter and 440 ht, you will also be able to scan the UHF public service band.

Unfortunately, this isn't going to get you coverage of trunked systems nor digital, but I don't know if you need them in your area or not. In any event they would require a scanner and that would preclude the transmit portion of your plan. So if they are needed, you're going to end up eventually with two radios to do what you want to do.

As far as the weather warnings are concerned the dedicated radio that you have is probably the best bet. It can remain in standby mode 24/7 and scream at you in the middle of the night if something's coming your way. While you can do that with the ht or the scanner, it will somewhat interfere with your other uses for those radios to have them doing that.

I haven't been buying Amateur gear in a while so can't give you much help on specific models, but the local hams that you'll meet through the testing process and at the local store can help you out with specifics. As far as scanners, I've been pleased with my Unidens, but others are also happy with their GRE and Radio Shack scanners as well.

Good luck with your Tech test.

Dick

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
So I take it that a Yaesu VX-8R will do for the most part just about everything the BCD396XT can?

No, it won't (sorry to say). I don't have an 8R, but I do have a 7R and couple other ham radios, and the scanning speed on handitalkies is notoriously slow compared to a scanner. And, as has been stated, it won't follow trunked systems. Sure, you can just enter the frequencies (which I have tried), but you can't follow conversations and it's quite frustrating to try and monitor that way. However, if you only need to receive a few VHF/UHF conventional channels - then the 8 will do fine. Good luck and happy scanning!

Well thanks everyone for the advice so far. I've settled on the VX-8R for now and will hold off on picking up a dedicated scanner until later on when the budget permits. Now since I also plan to pick up the GPS antenna, I need to decide on whether I want to get the CT-136 antenna adapter or the MH-74A7A speaker mic. Not sure that I want the added bulk of a cord to carry, but in pics I've seen of the GPS antenna attached to the VX-8R it makes it a bit cumbersome as well. What are your thoughts on this?

http://www.worldwidedx.com/members/...vx-8r-external-speaker-mic-gps-attachment.jpg

or

http://www.worldwidedx.com/members/moleculo-albums-yaesu-vx-8r-picture369-radio-gps-attached.jpg

rvictor

I also plan to pick up the GPS antenna

Just to make sure, you do understand that the GPS isn't a full function GPS unit with maps, routing, etc., right? According to the manual it provides your location, altitude, speed, and direction of travel primarily for APRS purposes it would appear.

Dick

Yes I'm aware of that. I downloaded the pdf user manual and scanned over it today during lunch break at work. I'm so excited to finally hold one of these in person I can hardly stand it. For you veteran hammys, does the suspense from waiting for a new radio coming in the mail ever get old or is it like opening a present every time?

Status
Not open for further replies.