Help a frustrated newbe

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3tzd

Just got my BCD396XT in the mail.
I have the ARC396 PRO software installed on my laptop runing Vista Ultimate.
I downloaded the latest update for the software.
I have the USB-1 cable.
I downloaded and installed the USB-1 driver.
When I use the scanner autodetect it says there is no scanner attached.
When I go to virtual control I can control all functions of the scanner.
When I try to read or send data to the scanner it says no scanner attached.
I tried changing com port and speed settings to no avail.
Hopefully it is just a matter of an incorrect setting and not a defective scanner.
Thanks for any help you can give.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There are a few things here that I can see; although I would never use Vista (= ME for 2008; evidenced by Microsoft moving to Windows 7 this summer sometime) these should help;

a. ARC396 will not play completely with the 396XT (although Gommert has said there will be an upgrade available). Currently FreeScan and ProScan are the only programming solutions. We have FreeScan's user guide in our wiki (anything in blue is a link). I use FreeScan and can give you a file that will get you started - although it's not set up just for Baltimore city, it will give you an idea of how things are set up. EMail me for a copy (ka3jjz@netscape.com)

b. It's important that you do these things in order; load drivers, connect USB device, check COM port in Device Manager, then connect scanner. Checking the COM port that the software assigned is important; sometimes it will assign a port that is already in use by something else. You may need to manually change it.

c. If the 396XT is similar to the 396 in this respect, you will need to set up the XT's port for the correct speed (most newer PCs you can run at 115200). There should be a menu setting for this. I know I had to set something up with mine.

d. Once you get these issues resolved, take a step back and start reading. Our DMA FAQ will get you started in understanding what Dynamic Memory Architecture is, as well as some of the capabilities of the 396XT (it doesn't have everything, but there's enough there to get you started). If you are new to trunking, then I would start by also reading the tutorial article and basics links found in the overview of our Trunking wiki.

73 Mike

Last edited:

rvictor

Your problem is almost certainly that ARC396 does not support the 396XT. The fact that the virtual control is working indicates that your computer is communicating with the scanner, of course. Freescan or Proscan should be fine with Vista Ultimate and the 396XT. Occasionally there may be a problem requiring some fiddling with the port settings, but not usually. Butel is planning to release new software to support the XT at the Dayton Hamvention which is 5/17-5/19.

Give Freescan or Proscan a try and let us know if you are still having problems.

Dick

clayk

I am in the same boat you are. Brand new and looking for help. I have tried both Freescan and Proscan. Proscan seems to be more full featured but you can't beat the price of Freescan. The most important and helpful for me so far is getting a premium membership here so you can download the databases.

Clay

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
clayk, please be more specific about what help you need. USB drivers, programming, what? It's hard to help with such vague information. If you're looking for programming help, the first step should always be to go to our database and supply the URL of the system you want. That way everyone starts off knowing what you are trying to do. Also be certain to say what radio you are using 73 Mike

clayk

Thanks, I am OK and was able to program the scanner. I was just passing along my limited noobie advice to ka3jjz, letting him know that freescan works well and being able to download the files from the database is the way to go. IMHO

Clay

n3tzd

Downloaded Freescan

And got it working.
I have a 1 yesr subscription to Radioreference and have been successful in downloading
files into my scanner.
Thanks to all for the help and advice
73's
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.