need help with bendix/king handheld

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinedog31

for starters i know nothing about these radios and they came with no manual. i bought them at a yard sale (3 radios 4batts 2 chargers )
they have 14 chnls and everything seems to work as far as display but they will not comunicate with each other . the guy said that the last time he used them they worked, so here is my question is there some kind of reset code are they locked some how or are they expensive paper weights
any help would be great

commscanaus

Hello Pinedog31,

Bendix King are good radio's, and are still used by many organizations.
Purchasing used radio equipment can present problems if you do not know much about it.

Even if those Bendix King radio's could talk to each other- you do not know what frequency they are using.
You could very well be causing interference on someone else's radio network. You do not want to be chatting away on the local Fire Department channels for example.
Chances are that they were sold off because the previous users have gone to a digital system.

The frequencies programmed into those sets you bought could now be licensed to someone else. That is another problem- you are not licensed or authorized to use those radios which may well land you in hot water with the FCC.

To correct the problem- you would need the correct Bendix King programming software and programming cable for those radios you bought. You would then need to program them to a frequency you are legally and safely able to use.

If you do not understand radio programming, it is best to find a Bendix King dealer and have them program the radios for you. Since I am not local to you- I am unable to suggest what frequencies you can use.

Using the radios without knowing what frequencies they are transmitting on is not a good idea.

Regards, Commscanaus

Last edited:

pinedog31

thank you !! i will see if there is a dealer close to home ,the last thing i want to do is cause any trouble for anyone or myself . thank you so much for the info

BaLa

If they are VHF Radios MURS would be a good choice..
If they are UHF he could go with FRS.

Since it seems like the OP does not know a whole lot about Radios and such I would also suggest finding a Dealer.

z88crazy

I am very familiar with programing Bendix Kings, the are fairly simple to program and excellent radios.
Here is a programing manual
http://49ercommunications.com/store/pdf/filed_programming_manual.pdf
Also, to program them manually with out investing in the programing plug, just take a small blade screw driver and jump the back two contacts together just above the PTT button, and then press and hold FCN. It will take right to the programing menu. Any questions don't hesitate to ask, will save you from spending money to have someone program them for you.

pinedog31

when i try to program these how do i find out what frequencies to program in so i dont cause any interference with anyone else. i am starting to wonder if i should have bought some cheap motorolas

mancow

Database Admin
Use MURS 154.600, 154.570, 151.880 etc....

Post some info and we can help. Model # etc.... These can be easily downbanded for 144-148 ham.

pinedog31

the radios themselves have no markings on them at all, the hand mics and one of the chargs say bendix/kings and i was told that thats what they are ,the batteries and the other charger all say alexander batteries . i have looked up the bendix/king radios on there web site and they do look like them .they have three knobs on top (cg-SQ,off-on -volume and a channel knob that goes to 14) the keyboard on the front looks just the one pictured on bendix/king programing manual. to be honest with you guys i think i am way over my head with these

z88crazy

Don't give up, I will help you out. Ok, MURS is a great way to get you going with this. I got my BK right in front of me and will guide you to program it.
1. turn power on
2. If you radio still has the black cover on directly above the PTT button which is the button you push to talk go ahead and take it off
3. Take a small flat tip screwdriver and place it between the back two contacts. There will be 6 contacts, now press and hold the FCN key for about 5 seconds and the screen will show either Ch 00 or ---ID.
4. If it shows ---ID type in 000000 (it may or may not show on the screen) and press ENT
5. Type 01
6. Press FCN
NOTE: At this point you should see the programed frequency if it is 136.000- 174.00 you will be good to go with the next steps. If the frequency falls between 450.000-512.000 you will be able to use GMRS/ FRS channels. Let me know if so and can get you the frequencies you need.

7. Press CLR
8 Type 151820 (Top of screen will Show PRG RX) This is the receive frequency
9. Press ENT
10. Press CLR ( Top will show PRG RX CG) This would be the place to put a CTCS or DPL tone in the future. Just leave it set at 000.0 for now
11. Press ENT
12 Press CLR (Top of Screen will show PRG TX) This is your transmit frequency.
12. Type 151820
13. Press ENT
14. Press CLR (Top of Screen will have PRG TX CG)
15 Press ENT
Now depending on model there may or may not have text in the block if it doesn't skip to step 18
16. Press CLR
17. Press the PRI key tell the letter, number, or symbol you want shows up and the press FCN once you have what you want spelled press ENT
18. You screen should now show CH 01
Congrats you just programed CH O1 on your radio.
To review all the information you just typed in just press FNC tell you get back to CH 01 or Ch 02-etc.
To do the rest of the Channels start from step 5 and just type the desired channel and press FNC and repeat the steps. Instead of 01 it will be 02, 03 and so on. Once you are done programing just turn the radio off and turn it pack on. You will be ready to use them now.
Your next channels you will want to set you
RX and TX step 8 and 12. Note the radio doesn't require you to put any . in.
Ch 02 151880
Ch 03 151940
Ch 04 154570
Ch 05 154600

NOTE: MURS channels are just like the CB band and any may use the without a license. To stay legal make sure to always have the radio switched to LO so you are only transmitting 2 watts instead of 5 watts.
Hope this helps, and any questions don't be afraid to ask; best wishes
Jesse

Last edited:

pinedog31

I DID IT!!! THANK YOU Z88CRAZY now these radios really have my interest what else can they do,what kind of range do they have what other frequency can i program how do i check to see if the radio is switched to LO ? If it is on high what kind of problems would it cause

BaLa

I DID IT!!! THANK YOU Z88CRAZY now these radios really have my interest what else can they do,what kind of range do they have what other frequency can i program how do i check to see if the radio is switched to LO ? If it is on high what kind of problems would it cause

Well if you programmed all of the 'MURS' frequencies.
Multi-Use Radio Service - The RadioReference Wiki
Then thats prolly all that you can legally Tx on.

Z88 will have to answer the question about how to see if its set for Lo or High.

If it were on High I doubt that the MURS Police will come after you.
The only time I've heard anybody use MURS is when I go to WalMart.

There is some Range Estimates I found for MURS.
http://mursradio.googlepages.com/whymurs

Last edited:

z88crazy

Awesome, I am glad I could help. The LO I am talking about is just the HI/LO switch on the top of the radio. It switch the radio output from LO 2 watts to HI 5 watts. With MURS frequencies you are only suppose to transmit on 2 watts. It just a "technical" thing.
As far as programing additional programing goes not much else. There are a few things the you can change as far as the function of the radio which can be found in the programing manual. All those options are under CH 00. You will just have to look at the programing guide.
You can and would recommend that you put in the NOAA weather channels. They can come in handy when your outside and the weather is starting to get strange out. Only program these frequencies under receive (RX) since you are not allowed to transmit on them. Leave TX blank just press CLR and ENT
1. 162.400
2. 162.425
3. 162.450
4. 162.475
5. 162.500
6. 162.525
7. 162.550
Just a reminder you don't to put the . in.
These radios are some of the best vhf radios on the market. Granted they are bricks, but they are worth the extra weight. Have fun with them

Last edited:

rvictor

While it may be "just a technical thing" you should be aware that the use of the radios on the MURS frequencies may be illegal if they are not properly type accepted or have the appropriate technical characteristics for that use. I'm not suggesting that enforcement action is very likely if they are not legal, but I think you should be aware that this is not as clear cut as some make it sound. Violations of FCC rules can result in very expensive fines. You should make the decision after knowing what the risks are.

See

MURSRadio -   MURS Radio Certification for Part 95

Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.