Yet Another New Member

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZX-12R

Hi everyone, another new guy here. I've been reading these forums for a few days now, and finally decided to register. I've been listening to my ancient PRO-2023 and PRO-64 scanners in my workshop for years, and have decided I need to upgrade to digital (probably a GSR-600). I realize after spending awhile here, that I really need to read up on scanning. I have no idea what most of you are talking about :)

Anyway, I've noticed here that there aren't any threads on programming software for the Mac, and I don't own a Windows machine. Anyone know of Mac programming software, or do we just program manually? Thanks!

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
There is no software for Macs. You will need to use something like VMware (I think it is called). Some type of dual boot system. The other option is get an old computer with windows, one that actually has a 9 pin comm port would be ideal, and the programming software does not need anything very fast to run it.

EGUC7

Premium Subscriber
Fellow Mac Owner

I've been a Mac owner for all my computer life, and currently own a MacBook Air, which has the Intel processor, so I can run Boot Camp. I have Windows XP running on the PC side and can do all of things with the Scanner Software you need to do. Currently I am running Icom software for an IC-R20 and a 8500, plus Win500 software for a PSR500. Sometimes it gets hairy convincing the software the USB port can do all the necessary things, but you can prevail! If you don't have a Mac with an Intel processor, you will have to bite the bullet and buy an old, used, discarded or otherwise unloved PC. Life is so cruel.

Walt

ZX-12R

Thanks for the information! I have a G5 and an Intel MacBook, so I guess the only thing I need to do is find a copy of XP for the MacBook:) This all reminds me of the lack of software for my Garmin GPS units, unless you count the lame attempt called RoadTrip!

qlajlu

Silent Key
Welcome to RR.com, ZX-12R and EGUC7! What a coincidence having two "newbies" posting in the same thread. It is nice to see you helping one another. That is what this Web site is all about. The question concerning Macs comes up with regularity.

EGUC7 I urge you to return to your User CP (the left side of the second blue bar from the top of any page if you are logged in) and edit your profile to include your location (city and state) as you were requested to do in the material e-mailed to you when you registered. Once you fill in your location it will automatically show in each of your posts. Many of the questions you will have, and their answers, are going to be location specific and without having your location showing you will be asked over and over again what it is. So fill it in now and be done with it.

dannyhusk

Welcome to the board.
I'm having to upgrade to digital as well, I'm In Shiawassee co.
not that far from Howell.
There's tons of useful info. here from the pros, I've learned a lot already.
Good Luck with your new scanners!

ZX-12R

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I just picked up a PRO-197 at RS this morning. It was pre-programmed for police, fire, EMS etc., in Livingston County, so at least I've had some interesting listening so far.

Dannyhusk, I live just a couple miles north of Livingston County Airport, and I visit Shiawassee county often. I have relatives in Morrice.

Status
Not open for further replies.