Digital scanner versus non-digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
I am wondering what the basic difference is between the digital trunking scanners and the non-digital trunking.
It is almost as simple as the name implies: the non digital will not decode digital transmissions. Other than that, different price ranges of scanners may have different features, etc. Go to the Wiki and look at the features for the digital and non digital scanners - that should help you see the differences.
Category:Digital Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki
Category:Analog Trunktrackers - The RadioReference Wiki

You must have a digital scanner to listen to a digital system, so depending on where your are located you may not need a digital scanner. But, many areas are changing or will be changing to digital.

One comparison you could make is between the digital Uniden 396XT and the non-digital Uniden 346XT.

Dave

Last edited:

DUANEGOOD

Thanks for the info! That is kinda the impression that I had. I am in PA Berks county. We are in the middle of a system change for fire and EMS. I am not sure if we are going digital or not.

qlajlu

Silent Key
Thanks for the info! That is kinda the impression that I had. I am in PA Berks county. We are in the middle of a system change for fire and EMS. I am not sure if we are going digital or not.
As Dave said, it's almost as simple as the name implies. You might want to ask this question in the Pennsylvania Discussion Forum because they are local to the area and would know if digital would be the most prudent thing to look into or not.

Also, I urge you to return to your User CP (the left side of the second blue bar from the top of any page if you are logged in) and edit your profile to include your location (city and state) as you were requested to do in the material e-mailed to you when you registered. Once you fill in your location it will automatically show in each of your posts. Many of the questions you will have, and their answers, are going to be location specific and without having your location showing you will be asked over and over again what it is. So fill it in now and be done with it.

rvictor

According to what's presently in the RR database, everything in your county is analog at present. The State's Starnet system is an OpenSky system which isn't scannable regardless of whether you have an analog or a digital scanner.

Dick

jnewell

If you don't need digital (because of local systems of interest or systems in places you visit often), buy analog. It's a little like computers and cameras - technology marches on; buy as low on the technoscale as possible while addressing your current and immediately future needs. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Digital or Analog?

When modulated signals are analog, they are typically AM or FM. Modern analog scanners support both. However, all digital signals are not created equal. For example, even if your digital scanner can TUNE to a TV frequency, it will NOT decode digital TV broadcasts. Even if your digital scanner can tune to an AM or FM broadcast radio station, it can not decode digital broadcasts.

The same holds true for public safety radio (police, fire, public works, etc). There are different schemes being used out there and the current digital scanners can ONLY decode P25 and only if the P25 is not encrypted.

Having said all of that, if there is a single agency you want to monitor which is broadcasting in P25, then you'll clearly need a digital scanner to monitor them. Agencies are slowly changing over. While there will always be things you can monitor with an analog only scanner (such as aircraft), a digital scanner (which also demodulates analog) will have a longer useful life.

Status
Not open for further replies.