new to scanning kind of...Questions, many

Status
Not open for further replies.

sucafish

First, thanks in advance.

I have bought and sold 2 scanners out of frustration, Pro 96's I think. I have been listening online and find myself wanting one again for the local area.

I would like to monitor Pierce County WA.

Problems I have found in the past. Hear part of a call, but want to monitor it in it's entirety. IS this possible?

Radio Shak had programmed my scanner for me, is this just the beginning of what I really need to do?

Can you hear encrypted radio?

What would be a good model to buy from Radio Shak for my area.? Just care about police and fire.

I listen to the online King County feed, is this different than what I would hear if I buy my own?

I will stop with the questions now. Thank you so much

captclint

Mentor
Problems I have found in the past. Hear part of a call, but want to monitor it in it's entirety. IS this possible?
With a portable hand held, you often can only hear the base because the mobile units have weaker signals(over simplified). Looking at your area: Pierce County, Washington (WA) the county does not use repeaters, meaning that the mobile units do not have their transmission repeated by the base unit, which is usually at a high location. Tacoma city does seem to use repeaters for the police, but not fire. There is a trunking system: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2501 , but the Pro-97 should OK since most of it seems to be analog, meaning you should not need a digital scanner just yet. You should really ask this question on the WA forum to be sure to get the best advice on what scanner is needed for your area.
Radio Shak had programmed my scanner for me, is this just the beginning of what I really need to do?
In general, RS does not do a great job of programming, but at least they should get the major stuff if you tell them where you are located. It would be a lot better if you could get software and use it to download the data from this site into your scanner. Each model scanner has different software, so will have to reserve comment until you decide. Most of the software is fairly easy to use, and should help you understand your scanner better. Pro-97 should have worked well for your area for a portable. An antenna on the outside of your home will greatly improve things.
NO

I listen to the online King County feed, is this different than what I would hear if I buy my own?
Mostly, it is different because you may hear base and mobiles. However, it is hard for me to compare, since I am not from your area.

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pierce County

First, thanks in advance.

I have bought and sold 2 scanners out of frustration, Pro 96's I think. I have been listening online and find myself wanting one again for the local area.

I would like to monitor Pierce County WA.
Welcome to RadioReference. I am originally from Pierce County, and my parents still live there. My dad has a scanner going 24/7 as well.

Yes. My first thought when reading your comment is I wonder if you have programmed the "trunked radio system" (TRS) or if you have just entered a bunch of frequencies. The way trunked radio works is that each transmission of a conversation will typically switch to a different frequency. When you program the scanner with a TRS, the scanner will follow the conversation (talkgroup).

Even when monitoring a TRS with a properly programmed scanner, you may not receive all frequencies used equally. I have that problem here with one of the TRSs I monitor. It all comes down to a good antenna, good coax and your location.

I rarely find a RS that correctly programs scanners. Only when they have an employee (the manager) that is highly into scanners do they do it correctly. Additionally, I find they often do not use the best software available to program, and that causes more problems.

Regardless, the best thing to do is figure out for yourself what you want to hear, how you want it organized in the scanner, and program it yourself. These days it is fairly easy because there is software you can get for your scanner, plus a cable, and you're all set to go. Most of us that use those models of scanners recommend WIN96 (www.starrsoft.com) to program a PRO-96. It is well worth the small registration fee, but comes with a 30 day free trial.

In a word, no. The "problem" is that federal legislators made it illegal to decrypt encrypted radio transmissions.

What would be a good model to buy from Radio Shak for my area.? Just care about police and fire.
So many issues here. Today you could get by with an analog trunk tracking scanner for under $200. But soon the system will be "rebanded" and you'll need to make sure the scanner you get can survive that change (because Pierce county does use a MOtorola type TRS). Next, many places are going digital as well. Those scanners are yet more expensive. But as you've already eluded to, if agencies also encrypt, then even the best digital scanner won't do you any good (for the encrypted channels).

It depends mostly on your exact location in Pierce county. If you're fairly close to one of King county's transmission sites, then you're in luck. But I'd expect that you won't get as strong of a signal there as the source of the stream has. It will certainly be a challenge with a stock "rubber" antenna, but would be more possible with an outdoor antenna. Plus I believe that King County has more stuff which is digital.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.