new scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

spicy

im going out today to buy me a new scanner and i was wanting to know how to tell if a scanner is diginal

ddoorman

Re: New scanner

How to tell if the scanner is digital? Very easy. First do research before you buy the scanner. Check the wiki here for scanner models. Read the information and take notes, if needed. Talk to individuals that already have a scanner and pick their brain. Go to the scanner store and ask to read the instruction manuals for the various scanners on sale.

Like any hobby, you have to invest your own time and energy to get the rewards.

rvictor

I assume that you've already made the determination that you really need digital. If not, you can do this by looking in the database for your area and seeing whether any of the agencies are using digital and then going to the state forum for your particular state and getting information about local plans to switch to digital.

If the result is digital, I'd suggest that you do some research on the various radios before you go out shopping. Start with the Wiki under Radio Models. Those that are digital will have P25 in their Trunk Scanning column. You can then go to the Radio Shack, GRE, or Uniden forums and get some info on the scanner or scanners that you are considering.

Or, for a more direct answer to your question--You can probably tell by the price. New digital scanners are about $500 except if Radio Shack has one of them on sale. If it's much less than that, it's not likely to be digital.

Dick

dracer777

Premium Subscriber
Anything under the $500 range is probably not digital. Although you can get really good deals, like my Pro-106 i got a year ago, i got for $380. And I believe the pro-106 is on sale until the 09/05 for $350ish. If you need to track a P25 system, the pro-106 does an excellent job, but i hear the Uniden 396XT does slightly better. I use my Pro-106 to track the P25 system in colorado constantly, and have very few problems, so if you can catch the pro-106 on sale, get it. Otherwise, I suggest getting familiar with everything you can read and the Pro-106, 396T, and 396XT, as i hear the later two are great, and I love my 106.

With all that said: READ. Before you spend $500 on a scanner. And when you have read everything you can, ask specific questions about them. I don't know how much scanning knowledge you have, but i would suggest the Pro-106, i had an easy time learning it(which was still somewhat steep), but after you play with it for an hour or so and read every word of the manual twice, it is easy. I dont have any Unidens, but i have read it, and as it doesnt look too hard to learn for a newbie, it does look more difficult than the methods used by the 106.

I know close to nothing specific about the analog scanners, but I would assume from your post that you need or just want a digital scanner, so that's what i addressed. And if you don't mind blowing $500, why not get a digital anyway? ;)

P.S. Some of the members can get annoyed if you post simple questions and stuff that can be found in other threads or in the wiki, so if you do want simple questions answered before you buy, PM me. I'll try to answer even the most simple questions for you to make it easy to decide.

Last edited:

bluefox2163

re new scanner

you should buy a bct996t base scanner I have one and it's great fery sensitive on all bands,works good on p25 it is a nice one

rvictor

you should buy a bct996t base scanner I have one and it's great fery sensitive on all bands,works good on p25 it is a nice one

While the BCD996T is a fine scanner, it is now discontinued and replaced by the improved model which is the BCD996XT. Things like this are why you need to do some research before you go out to buy a scanner. You could still find BCD996Ts available online or in stores and merchants willing to sell them to you without telling you that they were a discontinued model either due to ignorance or dishonesty.

Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.