396xt newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow0966

After owning the uniden 780 and it is finally starting to act up like not turning on , I decided to order the 396xt.
What should I concentrate on first because this is a totally different type of radio so I am wondering if programing will be an issue and how straight forward is the cd/manual ?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Shadow, before you do anything with the radio, it might be advisable to try to get the basic concepts down about how DMA (Dynamic Memory Allocation) radios from Uniden are programmed, along with some of the special features.

Our wiki concentrates on the older DMA models, such as the 396T, but once you get your head around not having banks, it becomes much easier to understand. That is a stumbling block for many, including me (I have the 396T, not the XT). However the FAQ that we have there is laid out so you should be able to use it to get the concepts down. In addition, at the end of the FAQ, there are links to the 'Easier to Read' manuals. I would download the 396 version; if you understand this manual, making the jump to the XT should be a snap.

To access the FAQ, float your mouse over Wiki in the blue toolbar under the logo, then click on FAQs then click on the Uniden DMA FAQ link. Note that here, and in our wiki, blue text indicates links.

Now as to programming - although many will tell you doing it by hand teaches you about the scanner (I agree), most use software. Sticking with the freeware for now is a good idea, unless you already have ProScan (which also works with the 780). FreeScan is the way to go here, assuming you don't have ProScan already installed. Our wiki also hosts the user manual for this package - in the Wiki pulldown mentioned earlier, click on Software then the link for the FreeScan User Guide. 73 Mike

shadow0966

WOW !
Thank you for your reply, I think I would've lost my mind without your input.Like you said I will have to get the old 780 ways out of my head and I will read the WIKI over & over till the package arrives on monday .

Once Again
THANK YOU !

Status
Not open for further replies.