Steped in it

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaptrick

Hello all, and let me be the first to admit...Man, did I step in it or what?

My total exposure to radio deals with the on/off and volume switchs of an AM/FM set. So's I thinks,"That scanner business looks kind of fun to tinker with"! So what do I do? I go out and buy a scanner that apparently has more bells and whistles than I surely know what to do with.

I figure this is a good site to start my learning quest, but also find that even the newbie questions others are asking are well above my comprehension. The salesman offers a bail out program where I bring it back and he holds my hand and programs it for me. I'd prefer not to go with this option. He suggested I learn to manually program before I went and used a PC program to help me, so thats what I'm going to try and hope the thing won't start smoking in my hand.

I purchased a BCD396XT, which apparently is supposed to last me a lifetime and will be the last scanner I'll ever want. So far this is so very TRUE!

I'll spend most my time lurking here in hopes osmossis takes over and I learn by sitting very close to the monitor. If I toss out a question that you all know fore SURE you known the answer from birth, be gentile with me keeping in mind that I am as virgin as one can be here. I swear to you, it took 3 minutes for me to get it to pump out static. At least I'm hearing something. I turn it on and it says Alaska....Man, I'm in trouble....

I look forward to learning from you all.
Gap

rvictor

Welcome to scanning, Gap.

You've got a great scanner and you'll get plenty of help here in learning to use it. Don't let the length of this post scare you off. I'm going to try to include a bunch of info. Just take it at whatever pace is comfortable.

There's some general information under "Other Resources" at this page that I think you'll find useful.

http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/ScannerManuals

I see that you are in Ohio. The Ohio MARCS system is one of the preprogrammed systems that the scanner comes with "out of the box". It is assigned System Quick Key (SQK) #38. You'll probably want to deactivate the Alaska system (SQK #21) and activate the Ohio MARCS system so you can try to receive it and have something to listen to while you're learning. I've posted the following explanation of the SQKs before and I think some have found it helpful.

=====
System and Group Quick Keys

System Quick Keys (SQKs) allow you activate and deactivate systems or trunked sites for scanning. For conventional systems, the SQKs are set at the system level. For trunked systems, the SQKs are set at the site level. There can be more than one system or site assigned to a SQK.

The single digit SQKs are toggled between active and inactive by pressing the corresponding key on the keyboard. The two digit SQKs are toggled between active and inactive by pressing the ./NO key followed by the two digits on the keyboard.

The display

S0:1234--7**0 indicates that SQKs 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, and 0 are active; SQKs 8 and 9 are inactive; and SQKs 5 and 6 are unassigned.

S1:12---678** indicates that SQKs 11, 12, 16, 17, and 18 are active; SQKs 19 and 10 are inactive; and SQKs13, 14, and 15 are unassigned.

Etc. to S9:12345678790

Each system can have up to 10 Group Quick Keys (GQKs). The indicator for the GQKs is the line below the SQK line and works the same way except that it only has ten possible values and therefore is only single digits. There can also be more than one group assigned to a GQK.

GQKs can be toggled active and inactive by pressing FUNC and the keyboard number while the scanner is scanning the particular system which contains the groups that you are controlling.

If you use software to program your scanner, you can assign the SQKs and GQKs as you set up your programming and can also set the initial state of the SQKs and GQKs.

=====

The easiest way to program your scanner is to use software that's designed specifically for that purpose. My suggestion would be that you download FreeScan from

ScanNow.org - The Home of FreeSCAN!

which is, of course, free. You enter the frequencies into FreeScan in the arrangement that works best for you and then transfer that data to the radio using the data cable that should have come with your scanner.

There are basically three ways to get the data into FreeScan:

-Type it in manually;
-Use cut and paste and FreeScan's EZGrab feature; or
-Buy a premium membership in RadioReference and use FreeScan to connect directly to RR and download the data that you've told it you want.

The data cable requires a serial port. Many newer computers don't have one. If that's the case with yours, then you need a serial to USB adapter so that you can use a USB port instead. If you go that route, be sure that you download and install the latest drivers for the adapter. Uniden sells a cable that has the adapter built-in, but that will cost you more than just getting an adapter. It, too, requires the installation of the appropriate driver.

That should more than keep you busy for a while. Stop back if you have problems, questions, etc.

Dick

doug408

Hello all, and let me be the first to admit...Man, did I step in it or what?

I look forward to learning from you all.
Gap

Gap, welcome to Radio Reference. You will find a lot of people here who are quite willing to help anyone who makes a reasonable effort to be civil. The 396 is a very popular model, and an excellent choice for many areas of the country. Unfortunately I don't have a 396 and don't live anywhere near you, so I can't be of great help to you on the specifics of your scanner or area, but there should be plenty of other Radio Reference members who can. I can make some more general comments.

Don't be embarrassed about being new to things. There is so much change occurring in the scanner industry that even people with 20 or more years of experience in it sometimes realize that they need to learn something new. I've used scanners for over 35 years and am still learning a lot, both in the technology and in the listening.

You will need some patience, but that can be very rewarding. Realize that there are no deadlines, and that you don't need to learn everything at once. With a little help, you should be able to start enjoying your scanner within a few hours. As you gain experience, you will find many opportunities to customize your setup more toward your own personal preferences. There is no single right or wrong way to set up a scanner. It depends greatly on what is important to you.

You've got quite a challenge in some respects. The 396 is a very powerful, yet also rather complex scanner. I read Dick's reply, which was clearly meant with good intentions, and felt sorry for you when I realized what that message must look like to someone who is new to the hobby. It would be pretty overwhelming.

35 years ago, it used to be quite simple to get started with scanning.
You bought a scanner and maybe half a dozen or so crystals to go with it, and could be listening within half an hour. You could go years without having to change anything inside the scanner. Things are a lot more complicated now, and more of the key details are specific to the local systems you want to listen to. Some of this information is readily available within the Radio Reference databases and forums. Other things are harder to figure out, such as that a particular mountain might be likely to block a signal in your area, or that a transition of radio transmission systems is in progress and not yet reflected in the databases here.

Modern scanners like the 396 are quite a bit more complicated to initially set up than the older ones were. If you have a computer and some basic skills (which I assume you do, if you're posting here), you might find it well worth the cost to get some programming software specific to the 396. This can make it much easier to do the initial and ongoing setup. Although it is possible to do the setup manually without a computer, many people find it extremely tedious to do it by hand. It seems widely agreed that it is well worth the money to get some good scanner programming software. This will pay large dividends as you modify your setup over time.

Perhaps the best suggestion at this point is to try to find someone local to you who is willing to help you with your questions, and help with the first-time setup of your 396. If you look at the Ohio part of the Radio Reference forums, you might be able to spot another member who lives in your general area and appears to be using a 396. If so, you might send them a private message asking if they would be willing to help you get started, or if they can point you to a local scanner club. You might also look to see if there are any Yahoo groups specific to scanning in your area.

If you don't see anything obvious there, you might post a message in the Ohio forums asking for anyone near <city> interested in helping you get started with a 396 to send you a private message with contact information.

Of course you can also post your questions here. If your questions are along the lines of understanding a concept or feature, you're likely to get good advice here. The Ohio forum is likely a better place to ask questions about particular frequencies or talkgroups to listen to, what codes and other terms mean, etc.

Thanks to the Radio Reference database and modern scanner programming software, people outside of your area might be able to give you some general advice on how to get started, but it really helps to find someone in your local area, because there are numerous local quirks that are likely not apparent in the database postings. Even once you start hearing conversations, you might need help in how to interpret the terms they use, for example. These often vary from city to city.

It would be helpful if you would give some thought to the types of things you are interested in listening to. For example, do you want to listen to police calls, fire calls, medical calls, trains, planes, weather, (some) ham radio, car races, snow plow operators, highway repair crews, ...? The answers to those questions (and which cities, etc. are of interest) will influence how you set things up.

One of the great things about this hobby is that it can be great fun to just explore. As you learn more, you might stumble upon things like stakeout teams for a drug sting or speed traps or arson investigations in progress. The 396 has the ability to tell you if you are close to signals that might not be advertised anywhere, making it easier to find new sources of interesting information. It can be a lot of fun to try to figure out what those are and how they are used.

One thing that would help both you and the rest of us is if you would start keeping a notebook. Write a list of questions you have, even if you're not sure of the right words to use. Keep track of the things that are confusing to you. Lists like that can help someone else more efficiently help you. (It's sometimes hard to help someone if you don't have a good understanding of what they currently know or don't know. You don't want to insult their intelligence but at the same time don't want to frustrate them by assuming they understand a concept or process that they may not yet know.) Lists like that can also give others great ideas for how to improve the scanner manuals, tutorials on this site, etc. As you learn more you can hopefully contribute to this documentation.

When writing any sort of technical documntation, one of the hardest things for the author is to forget what they already know. It's far too easy to assume that the reader already knows a key concept. One of the ways you can help is to point out cases where existing documentation makes assumptions like that, uses confusing terminology, or otherwise does something that's frustrating to a new user. Feedback from Radio
Reference members has significantly influenced manuals for several scanners in just the last year or so.

Likewise, the frequency database on this site didn't appear by magic. It is based on the cumulative contributions of thousands of Radio Reference members and a large number of "behind the scenes" volunteers. As you learn more, please do your part to help keep improving the accuracy of this database. The correct data is constantly changing, and is almost impossible to keep accurate without the contributions of people from each different locality. Anything you can do to help keep it accurate will make it easier for future members to go through the same experience you're going through now.

gaptrick

Guys. Thanks so much for the welcome and encouragment. As soon as I figure out what questions I need to ask , man, I'm asking. I wish I understood the "outline" or format of the programing concept. Groups, Talk ID's...SO MUCH I don't know it's really quite overwhelming. As I mentioned, the outfit I purchased the scanner from is more than willing to plug all the local info the scanner of mine free of charge. The thing is, I think I want to know more about the thing than just turning it on.

Maybe you'll get where I'm coming from if I mention this...I downloaded "Freescan" (Programming program) and also joined RR for my first 180 days as this was suggested to aide in my learning curve. Just messing around I was able to copy/paste and use the "grab-it" button. I believe it went into the program as it should have,But when to upload, what additions I need to enter on each frequency. I got a message that the com port was closed. Probably because I tried to up load at the wrong time in the programming sequence.

I'm totally in a cloud. So much in fact, I've ordered "2-way Radio and Scanning for Dummies" from Amazon in hopes to start there. Maybe if I can get a grip on what a radio wave is...A great place to start, don't you think? HA!

I think I may use the offered help from the seller and have him load me up. I'm told that I can create a back up program and reinstall it if I screw up the programming in the scanner in any way if I were to go poking around.

In the mean time, if you have that feeling that someone is looking over your shoulder....it's me....
Thanks again.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I purchased a BCD396XT, which apparently is supposed to last me a lifetime and will be the last scanner I'll ever want. So far this is so very TRUE!
I think this is one of the most difficult scanners to learn. For many, they start with non-digital, non-object-oriented programming, and learn as technology advances. Starting with this scanner is quite difficult.

I've been using scanners for over 40 years and still have quite a few. I recently had one of these in my possession for about a week and found it very difficult to navigate. So many operations must be done while holding down one button and pressing others, or looking at the display. I like being able to press keys blindly (such as when driving) and get known results.

Other confusing aspects of this scanner include horrible software to program it (FreeScan), a user's manual that expects the reader already knows certain things, and "redundant" functions on the scanner not explained anywhere. I also read the online versions of manuals for the scanner and it only helped a little.

If you are used to a Uniden, then I can see this model has features you'd expect. If you're not used to a Uniden (or any other modern scanner), it is a steep learning curve on a good day.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Welcome. And go slow! Take your time, and check out the Wiki here to read about things like trunking. It'll reduce your frustration.

Your 396XT will be a great radio for listening to Lake County (which is digital trunked), and the state-wide Ohio MARCS system (also digital trunked), and Geauga county (analog trunked).

These definitely ain't the scanners of yesteryear, with sequential red LEDs and crystals. But radio technology has evolved to the point where what you bought is becoming necessary here in NE Ohio. So take heart in the fact that you likely bought the correct radio. Over time you'll slowly get familiar and more comfortable with it.

ERICMYERS

learning is a big part of this hobby, gap. my 996 blew my mind for about 3 weeks, and i thought i knew a few things about a few things. heck, i'm still learning things about that scanner 2 years later, which keeps the hobby interesting.

you'll get there. we all went through it.

oh, and yes, that's the most whiz bang scanner sold, but it's not all that much harder to learn than the simpler ones...they're all pretty complicated!

knowing how to program manually is a good thing. Frankly, i'm a proponent of using software early on...it helped me understand what i was doing much faster, and the manuals are confusing if you have no context to start from. this of course means you have to learn the software, again, learning is a big part of this hobby for most of us.

just wait until you get going on antennas!

Best,
Eric

rvictor

I wish I understood the "outline" or format of the programing concept. Groups, Talk ID's...

With respect to conventional frequencies, there are SYSTEMS which contain one or more GROUPS. A GROUP contains one or more channels. For each channel you enter the frequency, alpha tag, and various other parameters that relate to that channel.

SYSTEM 1
.....GROUP 1
..........CHANNEL A
..........CHANNEL B
.....GROUP 2
..........CHANNEL C
..........CHANNEL D
SYSTEM 2
.....GROUP 1
..........CHANNEL E
..........CHANNEL F
SYSTEM 3
.....GROUP 1
..........CHANNEL G

With respect to trunked systems, there are SYSTEMS which contain one or more SITES and one or more GROUPS. In each SITE, you enter the frequencies for that SITE. For each GROUP you enter one or more TALKGROUP IDS. For each TALKGROUP ID you enter an alpha tag and various other parameters that relate to that talkgroup.

SYSTEM 4
.....SITE 1
..........FREQUENCY 1
..........FREQUENCY 2
..........FREQUENCY 3
.....SITE 2
..........FREQUENCY 4
..........FREQUENCY 5
..........FREQUENCY 6
.....GROUP 1
..........TALKGROUP ID 1
..........TALKGROUP ID 2
..........TALKGROUP ID 3
.....GROUP 2
..........TALKGROUP ID 4
..........TALKGROUP ID 5
SYSTEM 5, etc.

As you can see, I visualize it as an outline with main headings and subheadings. Others may conceptualize it differently, of course.

One advantage of having the dealer program it (for free) is that you can then download that data into FreeScan and look at the way it's organized. That's sometimes helpful for understanding the structure of the data.

You mentioned a problem transferring data to the scanner. That's probably the most common problem that people run into at this stage. Make sure that the COMM PORT the computer is using is the same as the one that you've set in the software and that the data rate in the scanner is the same as that in the software. Usually the maximum rate is fine. If you are able to connect, but get data transfer errors, then it may be worth trying a slower rate.

Sometimes there are problems caused by other software or devices trying to use the same COMM PORT as you are trying to use to transfer data to the scanner. Make sure that there are no other programs running that might be doing this. Watch for things like PDA sync programs, iPod software, etc.

I'd concentrate on getting the scanner and the computer communicating with each other. Once that's working, lots of options become available including someone here sending you a datafile to get you started with a particular area or system

Regards
Dick

Last edited:

gaptrick

Thanks rvictor. Thats how I see things also...outline form. As the scanner screen won't show me but a small piece of the outline, I can't visualize the "big picture" Thanks for the visual aid! It helps for sure...

Actually, thanks again to all. If you don't think your expertise and time aren't appreciated, you'd be wrong.

Last edited:

rvictor

Thanks rvictor. Thats how I see things also...outline form. As the scanner screen won't show me but a small piece of the outline, I can't visualize the "big picture" Thanks for the visual aid! It helps for sure...

Actually, thanks again to all. If you don't think your expertise and time aren't appreciated, you'd be wrong.

While it's hard to visualize the big picture based on the scanner screen, I find that once I've got the data into FreeScan (or some other similar software) it's easier to see the big picture.

Dick

Gator596

Premium Subscriber
Gap,
Sounds like I am in EXACTLY the same boat as you with the bcd396xt. I am glad you started this thread because I'm looking over your shoulder and learning along with you.
One thing I noticed about Freescan was that it sometimes takes longer to do stuff than other programs like Word, Explorer, etc.
Thanks to all who are helping Gap because you are helping me too (and probably many other lurkers!)

gaptrick

Gator,
I gotta fess up...I chickened out and took up the salesman on his offer to put in his local programming. It would have taken me weeks to do (but I DID manage to put 3 frequencies on it manually...What? No applause?) before he did it. As all I've been doing is listening, I've yet to download as a back up what is on my scanner to the Freescan program on my desktop. This means I still don't get the format of how things in there are layed out. I know...I'll be sorry if anything gerts too close to the fan. But I gotta tell ya all...There's alot of things going on around us than we'd ever imagine. Wow, is this an eye opener when it comes to what's going on where I live and work.

I'll get back to learning the technical end of things soon. I DID go and get " 2 way Radios and Scanners for Dummies". The book starts in the dirt at the ground floor and goes up from there. I'm still trying to get my arms around exactly what a radio wave is, but the rest of it seems to be falling into place.

When I start poking around you all KNOW I'll be asking the simple questions again. Thanks.
G

Gator596

Premium Subscriber
Gap,
Good for you! I am soo jealous - it must be great to be listening in. I still have a few more all night sessions in me to keep trying but will then start looking for an easy way out of these woods by seeing if I can find somebody in my area to help me.
Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.