NYC Metro: need scanner recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

myrka

Hello all.
I'm a freelancer covering public events in NYC area, and for some time now considered getting a scanner. The problem is options are way beyond overwhelming. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. It's a personal purchase, so I would like to keep the cost to couple of hundred to a portable unit. Need to have access to PD, FD and EMS channels.

Grateful for your time. Thank you.

FLA2760

I really like my Radio Shack Pro 164. It is a trunking scanner that will enable you to listen to conventional systems such as FDNY and NYPD too. You can get programming software like ARC (Butel) that makes it easy to program from your PC.

PRO-164 1000-Channel Handheld Scanner - RadioShack.com

Software for Uniden Radioshack GRE GRECOM AOR police scanner software PRO-97 PRO-96 PRO-2096 PRO-106 PRO-197 PRO-164 PRO-160 PRO-162 psr500 psr600 psr300 psr400 psr100 psr200 BCD996T BCT15 BC246T UBC800XLT UBC785XLT PRO-433 PRO-528 BCD396T PRO-2051 P

myrka

FLA2760:
Thank you so MUCH!!
But that scanner is analog only, right? Should I perhaps consider that does both: analog and digital?

Thanks again :)

jclarkr6

Bcd396xt & bcd996xt

If you are looking for a scanner that can receive both analog and trunked (and non-trunked) digital signals then I would highly, highly recommend the Uniden BCD396XT. Everyone has their own opinion about which scanner works best, but I would definitely look into the BCD396XT if you are looking for an outstanding portable radio that can receive just about anything that isn't encrypted. If you are looking for a base unit, check out the Uniden BCD996XT. These are two of the latest scanners put on the market by Uniden and many people have been satisfied with the performance of both radios.

I just wanted to add that I own a Uniden BCD396XT and I LOVE IT!!!

Last edited:

NYRHKY94

MYRKA:

You might want to post your question in the NY forum on this web site. Based on your scanning needs & the NYC area you want covered, you'll get quite a bit of help/suggestion in that forum.

Thanks

myrka

Guys:
Not to litter this forum with unnecessary posts, but you all rock!! Thanks so much for your replies.
After some homework, decided to go a tad broke and got BCD396XT (jclarkr6 special kudos to you).
So, now, $5 radio shack earphone, freeSCAN + radioreference premium a/c + sys.downloads (way worth it IMHO -- saved me a lot of time) I'm all set.

Honestly, it took me longer to figure out how to navigate the scanner buttons than to have it programed. Great crowd here, great resources. Many thanks. Happy scanning.

myrka

You made an excellent choice. When I travel to the NYC/LI area I always bring a handheld scanner. There is a lot to monitor there.

Thanks, FLA2760 :)
It's like having a whole new world open up to you. Unreal!! I'm a photographer, and I cannot even begin to describe the "edge" that it gives me for being in the right place at the right time. I've used older scanner before as a tryout, but never really saw a potential for such advantage as this uniden gave me. I gotta be the happiest scanner owner in the world right now :)

All the best, and many thanks again.

ampulman

If you need to have access while being mobile, check out NY State scanner law, as NY is one state that prohibits using scanners in vechicles. There are (I believe) some exceptions, under which you may qualify.

The NY forum would be a good place to inquire.

Amp

myrka

If you need to have access while being mobile, check out NY State scanner law, as NY is one state that prohibits using scanners in vechicles. There are (I believe) some exceptions, under which you may qualify.

The NY forum would be a good place to inquire.

Amp

all in compliance here. thx :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.