The Hobby is Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

325xia

Premium Subscriber
I have been away from "Scanning" probably for over 15 years. I just bought a new scanner, (BCD396XT). I'm amazed how quickly I have gotten back into it. I figured the radio communications would be sporadic as technology with Nextel and CAD's were now used by Govt. Agencies. Glad to hear that this is not the case. I'm back to my childhood hobby. I'm a closet "scanner head". My friends would think I'm a loser if they knew I sit home and listen to this stuff. Okay, enough for now. I'm hooked!

Mike

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Welcome back to one of the more educational and fun hobbies in this world. The hobby is far from dead. In some areas its more alive than ever before.

aharry

I had the exact same experience.. I had radios sitting idle for 5-10 years and also believed that most of the interesting stuff had long moved to newer technology that was inaccessable, but in fact was still very much accessable. It seems that day continues to come closer with digital and encryption, etc.. but for now at least the airwaves are very much alive!

N0IU

Welcome back! The same thing happened to me recently. I was cleaning out the garage (not my idea!) and I found a box stashed away in a corner. Inside the box was my dear old (almost 30 years!) Regency K100 scanner. A little Scott's Liquid Gold on the wooden case (how many come with real wood cases any more?), plugged in an antenna and power cord and it fired up perfectly. I found RR when looking for my local frequencies and now use that radio to feed my local PD to RR. Of course that meant I had to go our and buy another scanner to listen to. Life just isn't fair sometimes!

325xia

Premium Subscriber
^^^That's a great story. I still have my first scanner in my closet, (Realistic Patrolman Pro-77A), using crystals. A whole 8 Channels to scan. I'm not getting rid of it. I don't know why exactly. I don't even use it. Just like to see that rapid "Scanning" yellow dot fly by. Ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.