APCO P-25...Do I need to set P25 NAC or CTSS/DCS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meltdown

Hello all!

I just recently set up a new BCD396XT to monitor the newly activated Dublin/Delaware/Worthington OH Police/Fire/EMS/City...

Question #1: I see there is a function in one of the scanner menus for choosing either P25 NAC or CTSS/DCS. Are these settings I need to be concerned with? Not even sure what they do.

Question #2: Is "squelch" a setting I need to adjust for a digital P25 system?

Thanks, in advance, for any replies!
Much appreciated!

ibagli

Question #1: I see there is a function in one of the scanner menus for choosing either P25 NAC or CTSS/DCS. Are these settings I need to be concerned with? Not even sure what they do.

You don't need to worry about those settings for a trunked system like DDW.

N8IAA

Hello all!

Question #2: Is "squelch" a setting I need to adjust for a digital P25 system?

Thanks, in advance, for any replies!
Much appreciated!
Question #1: Those are settings for conventional frequencies, not trunked frequencies. They allow you to listen to those conventional frequencies, be they P-25 (NAC), or, analog (CTCSS/DCS) without interference from olther users on those particular frequencies.

Question #2: It maybe neccessary for how well you want the scanner to lock onto the CC. Too much squelch, and your scanner might not decode the CC's all the time. Too little squelch, and you might get interference from other 800Mhz frequencies close by.

The 396XT is a pretty darn good scanner for decoding the analog and digital signals out there. Have fun with your monitoring:)

Larry

Meltdown

Thanks...

Much appreciated....The Dublin system seems to be working very well. Still combing through to try and find some current TGIDs. Looks like the best way to do that is to set the scanner to SEARCH instead of SCAN. That way, it checks the entire system for all TGs. I have been picking up lots of delaware dispatch and patrol calls but can easily remove that.
One set of TGs which will probably be used relatively infrequently are the EVENT group. I would expect those to go on during things like the Memorial Tournament and Irish Festival.

Status
Not open for further replies.