How to monitor multiple frequencies on a computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevetimko

I need to monitor about three or four scanner frequencies for public safety in neighboring counties that can't be received by a police scanner where I live.
If I log into RadioReference.com I can easily monitor one at a time. Is it possible to set something up so I can scan several frequencies? Or do I just try to open several windows on my computer at once and let the frequencies all run at once?

Rsmims

Just open the windows that you want to listen to and let then run all at once. I monitor about 4 at the same time this way and it doesn't cause a problem for me. The windows are self identified and have a visual audio meter of sorts so you can see which one is "talking". After a while, you get to know what agency is transmitting by the audio ques they put out, and don't even have to look anymore.

Or you could buy multiple computers and run a window in each......or not.

OCO

As noted, you can open multiple tabs and run a feed in each one.. All audio will be on at the same time, which can get messy when things are busy. A good solution is an application like ScannerLive, which has a lot of really good features..

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I am curious, why can't the neighboring counties be monitored by scanners? Are they using a mode that no scanner supports, but can be decoded on a computer? Geographically unable to pick up their towers?

I just wonder, because if you do "need" to monitor them, then I would suggest being self sufficient, in that ability.

stevetimko

Ah, thanks, Old. ScannerLive will do the trick. I take it it is reliable?
Krokus: Distance and at least one mountain range block them. One of the counties used to use a translator that also allowed me to pick up their signal, but when they upgraded their system they were able to cover everything without using that site and I lost the signal.

OCO

Steve: Demo version runs for 1/2 hour and won't let you save.. Loads and runs fine. Uses PayPal to register, he then generates a key and sends to you..

Krokus: Us flatlanders forget about them thar mountains.. I wondered the same thing..

BTW- I now realize I should have thought longer about a user name (and Lindsay probably wouldn't think my reason for changing was good enough)

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I have dealt with mountains. I have lived in the Seattle area, and on Oahu.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.