RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > New User / Getting Started Forum

New User / Getting Started Forum - The place for new users to discuss how to get started, and generally feel safe from the rest of the rabid technical community. If you just got your first scanner, this forum is for you. Please note: Posts are only moved from this forum by OP's request only.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 3:17 PM

Post New Members...Please read this!

We have a lot of new folks coming to this forum for help! I'm all for this, and I always try to assist in any way that I can.

However, it seems that a lot of folks come in here and post in multiple forums asking for help. (I.E. They'll post in this forum, and their regional forum, or ask about a radio question here, and then take it to the regional forum, and then the radio manufacturer forum, ect....)

If you decide to ask a question here, please don't post it in another forum. It would be even better if you would post it in your regional forum to start with. They can be found under "Regional Forums" on the forums homepage.

This is also mentioned here:
http://forums.radioreference.com/for...n-1-forum.html

Unfortunately, I think a lot of new folks pass over this rule, as its at the bottom of the Forum Rules page.

Just my 2 cents,
gr8rcall

I'm not trying to "Moderate" or anything like that, so please don't misunderstand. Just thought this was something I could do to help everyone out.
Also, please note that I am pointing NO ONE out in particular. Just noticed this seems to be kind of a trendy thing....
Don't be fooled, I'm not a LEO!

Last edited by gr8rcall; 10-19-2012 at 3:29 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 10-19-2012, 3:30 PM
MI DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Yes and also utilize the search function on this site as so many questions come up that have been answered time and time again.
Old 10-19-2012, 7:11 PM

I wouldn't have mentioned all this, but It doesn't seem to be indicated anywhere obvious....

Last edited by gr8rcall; 10-19-2012 at 7:13 PM..
Old 10-19-2012, 8:05 PM
MI DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Oh no gr8call... my reply was not directed at you at all haha it was to add on to your message hehe
Old 10-19-2012, 8:40 PM

Gentlemen,

I am one of these newbees. I have made it a practice to try to find the answers in other treads before I ask a question. This site is a wealth if rich information and it has a great number if very knowledgable individuals willing to help. I can't thank you all enough for all the help I have received in my short time here.

Ronnie
Sponsored links
Old 10-19-2012, 9:16 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Also I'd like to add a request to include as much relevant details as you can with any question(s). How often do we get asked "What's the best antenna for my xxx?" Well, without knowing what frequency or frequencies you need it to cover, we really can't provide a good answer to that question. Adding that you want it to pick up "digital signals" really isn't much help. Including links from the database (or at least what systems or agencies) we can give you some very good suggestions.

Perhaps there should be a sticky (or WIKI article) that has a short list of best practices when creating a new topic that folks must pass through prior to making their first (or first few) posts.
Old 10-20-2012, 7:59 AM

Just a thought...perhaps we can sticky this?
Old 10-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Silent Key - Aug 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8rcall View Post
Just a thought...perhaps we can sticky this?
Done, at least for a while.
Old 10-20-2012, 1:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

"Thread of the Dead" syndrome, or revival of ancient, stale threads, is one of the side effects of new members using the search function to do their research. Ideally they would start a new thread for their comments and questions, but a lot of our long-time members will pick up the ball and run with the stale thread after it's revived. Maybe new members can be encouraged to begin a new thread at that point. (And of course not have it considered a cross-post of their initial post.)
Old 10-20-2012, 6:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioDaze View Post
"Thread of the Dead" syndrome, or revival of ancient, stale threads, is one of the side effects of new members using the search function to do their research. Ideally they would start a new thread for their comments and questions, but a lot of our long-time members will pick up the ball and run with the stale thread after it's revived. Maybe new members can be encouraged to begin a new thread at that point. (And of course not have it considered a cross-post of their initial post.)
Then we have at least one person that ridicules them for reviving a stale thread. You can't win.
Old 10-20-2012, 7:11 PM

Loumagg, Thanks for sticking this.

Okay guys, I think we've got enough info in here now! Unless you think it's REALLY important, lets not post anything else. I think we've got plenty for 'em to read now....LOL!

A wiki article might be a good idea, too.

Thanks,
g8

Last edited by gr8rcall; 10-20-2012 at 7:17 PM..
Old 10-20-2012, 8:29 PM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

One place to start for a wiki article would be the list of rules that is *supposedly* (I've been a member since Trunkedradio net days, so I never had this list) sent to each member when they join.

It can then be linked to the various getting started articles that we already have, including the glossary, and Getting Started articles (we have 2 such - one for the Uniden DMA scanners, the other for the GRE/RS object oriented scanners). That would also include the many shortcut articles (many of which were written by one of our late members). A little cross linking would make it a rather large article - perhaps a new category called 'newcomers' could be used to house all of this.

As the wiki is a member supported resource, I have a few words (borrowed from a famous fictional Captain)

Make it so, Number One...

Mike

Last edited by ka3jjz; 10-20-2012 at 8:32 PM..
Old 01-03-2013, 1:51 PM

Default Be a little specific in the title of a new thread

I'd like to make a suggestion to new members of RR.
Be a little specific in the title of a new thread.
If posting on the Breaking News section, put Where in the title, not just "Radios connect deputies statewide " or "City builds new tower".
And don't just post "Newbie here" or "Need Help" as titles if you are looking for some assistance.
Put a brief description of what help you are needing. Make people want to open the thread and look at it.

I tend to not open posting titles like that, and I suspect others do too.

Thanks.

Last edited by Wyandotte; 01-03-2013 at 1:55 PM..
Old 01-03-2013, 4:14 PM

To the above:

That is a good idea!
However, that is already mentioned by Blantonl in the "Forum Rules" section!
Old 02-25-2013, 9:09 AM
Silent Key - Aug 2014

As this topic has been attracting the wrong kind of responses, I am going to close it. To the OP, contact me via PM if you want to add something to it. It is a great topic and I will let is stay here.
Closed Thread