First scanner questions ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phillyboy31

I'm looking to buy a scanner.I love listening on here not to just the normal radio calls but alot of times i pick up the narcotics guys in northeast and prostitioun stings.But i;d rather listen to the philly cops in the bad parts like kensington and all of that.I also live in delco so to listen to what's going on in my neck of the woods too.

What in your opinions would be the best scanner,if their is any that can tap into those frequencies.?? I'd like one where i can listen at home but also take in my car mobile where id be willing to drive closer to location.Would that make it easier to pick up those frequencies ?? Im about a 20 minute drive down 95 to get to them so its no big deal..But what antenna should i get..So in short,i just want something that i can listen to at home,and in my car that can run off the power adapters cigarette lighters.

If there are any scanners like this id really appreciate there names,and names of the best antennas,and cost of course.I know it;s a big question .Thank you

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
The Philadelphia Police use digital P25 for most things. You will need a digital-capable scanner such as a Pro-106/Pro-197 or a Uniden 396-XT or 996XT or a PSR-600 which does digital. The price of entry for these is pretty steep but that's what you need for digital - a $400-$600 scanner.

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
Those are all great choices and you can usually find a good deal on a used Digital Scanner in the classifieds. With the era of digital radio upon us it has become more expensive for some to get into the hobby. Here is a list of the Digital Scanners compared; Digital Scanner Comparison Chart - The RadioReference Wiki
Two scanners that is not on here are the GRE PSR-800 and the Uniden Home Patrol these two scanners are preprogramed scanners right out of the box. All that is required is to enter your area and updating once in a while.

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
The Philadelphia Police use digital P25 for most things. You will need a digital-capable scanner such as a Pro-106/Pro-197 or a Uniden 396-XT or 996XT or a PSR-600 which does digital. The price of entry for these is pretty steep but that's what you need for digital - a $400-$600 scanner.

Keep in mind that the Pro197 and the BC996XT are base scanners, so they would not be ideal for moving around. Personally I like the BC396XT. Scanner master has some sales for the holiday on 396. One come with a case and hometown programming and the other comes withsoftware, programming cable and an easier to read manual. Those would be a good way to start off, that way you have everything you need to get started. I personally recommend the second option. That way you can make changes to it as frequently as you want. It is not too hard to program, especially if you have a RR premium membership.

Those are both great deals at $499.99 because the scanner alone is normally $439.99 so for $40 more you get a lot more. Plus, enter the cupon code "freeship50" and any order over $50 will ship for free.

Last edited:

AC2OY

I would get the handheld make of your preference? The batteries can be recharged and with a modified antenna other then the rubber duck your range can increase! I don't think it's illegal to have a scanner in your car in Pensi? Just be careful! One ham told me I can transmit while driving with a HT one said you can't so you know I operate on my porch...lol Do all your research before you scan mobile!!

PSR800.
Philly will be rolling over to a TDMA system,Soon.and the Unidens,or 106-500 line
will not scan them.camden,bucks,njsp, are all in one way or another upgrading.

better to be ahead than left behind,,in silence..

Status
Not open for further replies.