• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CB/MURS/GMRS/FRS scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

topgun1986

Premium Subscriber
Is there an analog scanner on the market to handle the CB/MURS/GMRS/FRS bands, all in one? Preferably a mobile unit. Capability to do alpha tags would be a plus.

I've tried searching online, but just get confused with all the extra "bells & whistles" of scanners that come close.

RonnieUSA

Is there an analog scanner on the market to handle the CB/MURS/GMRS/FRS bands, all in one? Preferably a mobile unit. Capability to do alpha tags would be a plus.

I've tried searching online, but just get confused with all the extra "bells & whistles" of scanners that come close.

Sure all of the newer handheld can.

KE5TLF

A list of ones that don't would be a lot shorter...hehe

Though the alpha tagging would make that short list a bit longer.

Last edited:

topgun1986

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for replies, but I'm honestly looking for exact models (with a good review is a plus).. The ones I've seen only go down to 29 MHz.

aeneimia

Cb, murs,gmrs,frs

The Pro-96 has those frequencies pre programmed in for these bands just need to select those to band scan.. can also use the vscanner technology to load different setups for analog.. does not support external alpha tagging but does display tags. Its analog and digi but the price is getting more affordable..

KE5TLF

Thanks for replies, but I'm honestly looking for exact models (with a good review is a plus).. The ones I've seen only go down to 29 MHz.

Hmm yeah I see a bit of what you mean. Never really payed much attention to the low end of things. sorry

I imagine you've looked at the lists in the wiki, which by no means are all inclusive, but here they are just in case.

Category:Radio Models - The RadioReference Wiki

Last edited:

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

Then you must be looking at lower end priced scanners, because most of the popular scanners in the market are continuous coverage starting at 25 mhz. on up with the exception of cellular coverage. As mentioned, most of these models have a service search which includes the ranges you indicated. :wink:

n9zas

topgun1986

Premium Subscriber
Then you must be looking at lower end priced scanners, because most of the popular scanners in the market are continuous coverage starting at 25 mhz. on up with the exception of cellular coverage. As mentioned, most of these models have a service search which includes the ranges you indicated. :wink:

n9zas

Yes, I am looking at lower end scanners ($75 or less). Just a basic scanner to handle these bands. I am trying to dedicate certain scanners in my "shack" to certain bands. Text tags (alpha tags) are just a plus, but not a necessity.

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin

As far as I know all new scanners can do that just about any of them built in the last 10 years, well do so with a few click of the buttons on the faceplate.

N8IAA

The best way to monitor CB is with an inexpensive CB. Even though the scanners have that frequency, it's just not going to work well. But, any analog scanner will work. Such as the BC355N, or Pro-163. The Uniden doesn't have trunking or alphatags, while the 163 does trunking and has alphatags.
HTH,
Larry

topgun1986

Premium Subscriber
The best way to monitor CB is with an inexpensive CB. Even though the scanners have that frequency, it's just not going to work well. But, any analog scanner will work. Such as the BC355N, or Pro-163. The Uniden doesn't have trunking or alphatags, while the 163 does trunking and has alphatags.
HTH,
Larry

So why will it not work well?

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
So why will it not work well?

Most scanners are generally designed for VHF/UHF with limited emphasis on CB reception. Unless you have a great external antenna, you probably can't expect to hear too much CB activity from more than a couple of miles away.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Lock out

The 2 scanners I use, I have locked out CB/MURS/GMRS/FRS bands. Just nothing worthwhile listening to even if someone is close. Then CB with the odd skip isn't worth wasting time on, especially when other frequencies are a lot more entertaining.

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
The problem is the CB band (27 MHz). The modulation type is AM or SSB and only a few scanner do AM in that frequency range and none do SSB. Also, antennas for the lower bands are quite large - not really scanner antennas. Scanner-specific antennas rarely perform well below 120 MHz and the rubber-ducks are even worse.

Bob - KB1VUA

Status
Not open for further replies.