New member with a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_echo6-9

Hello all!

I am a scanner enthusiast from Pittsburgh, PA. I have a bc72xlt and was looking to get a better antenna than the rubber ducky one. My primary use is to listen to first responder/emergency response transmissions in the 450-500 MHz (UHF...I think) region. I live in the northern part of Allegheny County and would like to be able to clearly receive transmissions from throughout the county. The transmissions in the northern part of the county and the city of Pittsburgh are clear but ones coming from the south and east of the city are not. I'm looking for one that may also be mobile capable, but it's not a critical concern. I saw this antenna in another post and wondered if it would be compatible with my scanner and was what I was looking for:

SpectrumForce Wideband Antenna with Mag Mount and BNC

I will also gladly take any suggestions offered by the group and thank all of you in advance for yourwarm welcome and assistance.

I'm also thinking of getting an additional bc396xlt next year...lol

Thanks again!

mike_echo6-9

I was hoping maybe one would be able to do both, but I definitely use it more for base use so an antenna for base use would be more suited for me.

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
If you are looking for an inexpensive portable antenna to replace your rubber-ducky, you may want to give the RadioShack telescoping scanner/ham antenna a try. I do want to stress that it is NOT the best option out there and it is NOT the most durable, but when I was first getting into the hobby (my first scanner was also the 72XLT), that's the first antenna I got hoping to improve my range. It did help quite a bit and for $17, it isn't a huge loss if it doesn't help much.
I would venture to guess that it would probably make the transmissions in the south and east parts of your county a little better, although not perfect.

Center-Loaded Telescoping Whip Antenna : Telescoping Antennas | RadioShack.com
Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.