$500

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Depends if the featureset of the HP matches your desires.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
State Police is digital.

Looks like local FD/PD is analog / conventional.

rapidcharger

Then again the trend is towards encryption and formats currently unmonitorable by scanners.
Maybe your state police in VA is more exciting than here because all you really hear from them here is running license plates, traffic/wrecks etc.

If anything, I'd wait a year and at least see if you can get one that does TRBO.

I used to spend my summers in that area, btw. You dont hear much due to the terrain and being so far away from any big city.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Buy yourself a nice wide band receiver, you will be able to listen to a lot more. Once these public service agencies go digital, encryption is only a step away, and for the money you spend at least you will have something to listen to, shortwave, ham, etc.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Again - appreciate the comments cron, but you have no idea what you're talking about. Please take your encryption tin foil fears to another thread :)

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Not to be rude - but you don't. He wants to listen to his local fire / police. Getting a wide band receiver won't help him. His agencies are not just a step away. That's all I'm saying.

searingxheretic

Premium Subscriber
Help the guy with real answers rather than just flaming each other.

Turtlesoup, as a Virginia resident, I wouldn't pay for a digital scanner just because of VASP (STARS). In my honest opinion stars is one of the more boring things to listen to, and I live in Hampton Roads.

Most of your county uses the Linden LTR Analog 800mhz system. This includes Front Royal, and all of the sheriff talk groups. You should get a trunk tracking radio, but a digital scanner isn't necessary for that system. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a Uniden BCT8 will work on that system which you can buy for just over $100.

Come visit us and ask your question in the Virginia thread, I am sure there are people who live near you that could help further.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Well how is it I can listen to non digital radio transmissions on my ICOM ? Lake County Fla. dispatch ? Maybe I am hearing things, like tin hats ?

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Well how is it I can listen to non digital radio transmissions on my ICOM ? Lake County Fla. dispatch ?

Again, as noted, he wants to listen to VSP which is a digital system. Your ICOM, and every other wideband receiver out there, can't hear that. So it does him no good if that is what he wants.

SCPD

QRT
rdale, my mistake. He would pick up some good "stuff" being that close to the coast. I thought Warren County was not digital.

N8IAA

Turtlesoup, if you want to listen to your county PD/SO/FD, a conventional trunktracking scanner is all you need, e.g. : Pro-163/164. It will also do the conventional VHF/UHF frequencies. If you want any VSP, digital will be neccessary. Take the advice and go to the Virginia state forum and ask your question there.
HTH,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.