Internet radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogey219

Hello folks, Hope this is the right place to post this. I just picked up a Grace Digital Innovator X GDI-IR2600 8W wireless Internet radio. I read in a review on best buy where this guy said that this radio can be programed to play fire and police dispatching from this web site, ?(radioreference.com). Here is the exact thing he said.
"This unit is in service at a fire department that is near the city of Chicago. In December 2012 the city of Chicago fire department switched their radio communications to an all digital system and people can no longer use a basic VHF police scanner to listen in on incidents. We were able to successfully program this unit to listen to a live audio stream of the dispatch audio from the website radio reference.com. This box has been connected and running now 24/7 for 2 months and is going strong."
Does anyone here know what he is talking about and how to do what he is saying is possible? Thanks for any help!

bogey219

bump. I can't get the search function to work for some reason. Can anyone assist me?

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
bump. I can't get the search function to work for some reason. Can anyone assist me?
Normally we don't allow bumping, but I approved this to allow me to assist you with your OP.

Hello folks, Hope this is the right place to post this. I just picked up a Grace Digital Innovator X GDI-IR2600 8W wireless Internet radio. I read in a review on best buy where this guy said that this radio can be programed to play fire and police dispatching from this web site, ?(radioreference.com). Here is the exact thing he said.
"This unit is in service at a fire department that is near the city of Chicago. In December 2012 the city of Chicago fire department switched their radio communications to an all digital system and people can no longer use a basic VHF police scanner to listen in on incidents. We were able to successfully program this unit to listen to a live audio stream of the dispatch audio from the website radio reference.com. This box has been connected and running now 24/7 for 2 months and is going strong."
Does anyone here know what he is talking about and how to do what he is saying is possible? Thanks for any help!
I have no Internet radios per se; however, I have listened to Internet radio stations on my computer, mobile devices, etc. so I cannot comment on your specific device. As for picking up the streaming audio from any online scanner feeds I am not aware of how you would do it on your device. From your computer, if you click the "Live Audio" link on the above menu bar it will take you to the new sister site Broadcastify. There you can drill down to your local area (or any area of interest) and see if someone has a feed online for there.

These can be accessed on mobile devices using the various scanner apps available and according to our Wiki, there is an app for the Logitech Sqeezebox that allows you to listen. I would suggest you start your search for information by understanding the audio feeds first and in that light, starting on the Live Audio article in the Wiki is probably the first stop.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You need to search through each of the network(s) the Innovator supports, and find one that has a portal to RadioReference. I suspect one of them would be Live365, but don't quote me on that (I can't search such networks here at work - raises too many bells...)

Depending on how each site's search tools are (the Pure website for my radio is pitiful...) that may take a while. So go make like a gopher and dig...HTH...Mike

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Correct, hopefully the instructions on programming the Innovator are understandable enough that you can follow its menues and set up the radio for not only WiFi feeds of your favorite broadcast AM/FM net feeds, but also the Broadcastify scanner feeds. From all the reviews I have read, and listened to on Kim Kommando's show, the Innovator seems to be the least migraine causeing one.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/6.7.2-223_DBN_M4-23) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I see on the Grace Digital Audio home page, bottom righr, a graphic link to the audio streams Grace Digital supports. Among your choices is iHeartradio (my favorite streaming site) and you will find public safety links. Can't help you with the radio (I just use my phone) but the Grace site looks pretty complete. I'd start there. HTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.