• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mixed Mobile Scanner/CB Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

SugarD

Premium Subscriber
Sacramento, California, United States Of America
Hey there guys!

I'm actually a long-time user of CB Radios and Police Scanners, all of which is completely amateur, so using them is not really why I'm posting here today. I actually had more of a technical question regarding a setup I plan on doing with my car, and I was hoping you guys could answer this for me. Given my lack of knowledge in the hardware field of this, and because I couldn't find a more suitable place to put this topic, I posted it here. Hopefully that isn't an issue. Please let me know if this is the wrong spot. :)

Anyway, on to my question...
I'm looking at a dual setup with a CB Radio and a Police Scanner, (2 separate units), to be hooked up in my Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. I enjoy listening to both, so I thought it'd be fun to put them into my center equipment console to fill in some space there. The problem is, I'm a bit worried about interference, and the possibility of frying one or both units. I've read some information here and there across the internet, and I couldn't really find a clear answer on this. Here is the equipment I plan on getting when I can afford it:

The Police Scanner: RadioShack PRO-163 1000-Channel Triple Trunking Scanner : Trunking Scanners | RadioShack.com
The CB Radio: http://www.cobra.com/detail/29-lx-bt-cb-radio-with-lcd-display-and-bluetooth-wireless-technology.cfm
The Antennas: https://www.cobra.com/detail/hg-a1000-magnet-mount-antenna-21-inches.cfm
The Antenna Adapter for the Police Scanner, (for using to hook it up to a better antenna, rather than the "handheld" style one included with it): https://www.cobra.com/detail/antenna-adapter-for-handheld-cbs.cfm

Now the issue that has me worried is I am looking at putting both head units close to each other in the console, and have each one run a separate antenna on my car trunk. (Both antennas would be the same model. I'd just have to buy two of them). Some things I've read have said using one antenna on two units, or two antennas close to one another, can cause the units to fry each other. Obviously because the head units control the actual receiving, I'm also worried about them being too close to one another. If I go with the two antenna setup, am I running the risk of frying things with this equipment, or causing damage to any of it in any way? I'm not really worried about low-level interference caused by them both being turned on...I just don't want to damage anything. (I can deal with the occasional static and not be bothered too much by it).

I've also heard, (if I'm quoting the frequency properly), that anything 30MHz or below being run on one can damage the other if they are both turned on at the same time. Is this an issue too?

I figured this would be the best place to ask since this website tends to be the main resource for everyone researching or using radio-related equipment. :)
(You guys seem to be more trustworthy than the multiple conflicting sites I ran across, too.)

Sportster77

Premium Subscriber
I have run both a CB and a scanner mounted on top of each other in my work truck for years with out any problems. My antennas have either been 2 mag mounts on the roof of a 1ton regulae cab or I am currently using a mirror mount (full west coast style mirrors) CB and a mag mount scanner ant on a 3500 GMC extended cab. I'll try to get some photos if you want to see the setups.

SugarD

Premium Subscriber
I have run both a CB and a scanner mounted on top of each other in my work truck for years with out any problems. My antennas have either been 2 mag mounts on the roof of a 1ton regulae cab or I am currently using a mirror mount (full west coast style mirrors) CB and a mag mount scanner ant on a 3500 GMC extended cab. I'll try to get some photos if you want to see the setups.
No issues with having the antennas close to each other then? I've seen a ton of conflicting info on this, so I just want to be certain that nothing is going to fry my equipment when I can finally afford it. :p

For the sake of curiosity, the pics would be nice, if you want to slap some up here. It sounds like a pretty fun setup. :)

Sportster77

Premium Subscriber
Here nis a shot of thebox I have setup right now. It was raining today so I could not get a shot of the antenna farm on the truck!

This is in the area of the back seat of an extended cab GMC 3500 with the seat removed and this box forming the front of a file holder area and tool shelf behind the drivers seat. behind the passenger seat the single shelf is used for misc storage, winter gear , welding gear, and job lights.

SugarD

Premium Subscriber
Very nice! Loving that setup!

I've been doing some research lately on my idea too. If I can somehow manage to manually hook up an auxiliary input to my stereo system and split it with a switch, I'll be able to abuse the external speaker function of both the scanner and the CB I have picked out so I can play it through the car's speakers.

*Daydreams himself to death*

Thanks for putting my fears to rest, Sportster77. You rock man! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.