BCD996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celestron8

Hello all. Been using radio reference for years but just became a premium member. Been scanning since 1993 when the wife bought me a Uniden BC100xt or xlt(cant remember anymore). From there I moved on to a Radio Shack Pro 2035 and ten to the Uniden BC 785 D since South Dakota went to Apco 25. Now I am seriously considering the Uniden BCD996xt. Have not found a bad review yet on this unit. However what I have read about programming it has me shaking in my boots. I plan on utilizing all the knowledge on this site to get me up and running and would like to thank everyone i'm going to bug in advance. Also if there is anyone close to the Yankton or Sioux Falls area that has mastered this beast and could lend a hand let me know. Thanks all

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
Hello all. Been using radio reference for years but just became a premium member. Been scanning since 1993 when the wife bought me a Uniden BC100xt or xlt(cant remember anymore). From there I moved on to a Radio Shack Pro 2035 and ten to the Uniden BC 785 D since South Dakota went to Apco 25. Now I am seriously considering the Uniden BCD996xt. Have not found a bad review yet on this unit. However what I have read about programming it has me shaking in my boots. I plan on utilizing all the knowledge on this site to get me up and running and would like to thank everyone i'm going to bug in advance. Also if there is anyone close to the Yankton or Sioux Falls area that has mastered this beast and could lend a hand let me know. Thanks all

I have a BCD346XT and found programming it a nightmare until I downloaded Freescan and bought a premium membership on the forum here. Between the two it made the scanner quite manageable. I'd check to see if Freescan works for the 996 and if it does, which I imagine will be so, I would go ahead.

GoNavy

Premium Subscriber
Yes ... Freescan works with the 996XT I have one and FS and a membership here is the super easy to program. While in Freescan click file import, radioreference > conventional or trunked. top left lets you sign in with your RR password, when the country drop down appears, moved to the state, then county, then system you want, and download it, that simple. Once you have all the systems you want, assign Quick keys and arrange it how you like. Just plug in the cable from your computers com port to the front of the 996xt (you can buy a usb cable, if you perfer) I have used the com cable and have no problems. then in FS select scanner from the top menu drop down then upload. It is that simple. In fact it is so easy I very seldom bother to make changes on the 996xt face, just to easy to make changes in freescan plug the cable in and upload, takes minutes. Not hard at all, and I highly recommend 996xt. Have had mine for several years and love it. Assigning quick keys is the key, makes turning on/off systems or even groups with in a system you want to listen to, so easy.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Good luck with it! The 996XT is a great scanner. It's not too bad to learn once you get into it and start doing it. Don't let it intimidate you. Once you get the hang of it it'll be a piece of cake. But then again as I say I still do all my programming on my 996, 396, and 15 by hand so I'm not really sure about how much different it would be using the software. But it's not that bad though once you get into it. Good luck!

bear780ks

BCD996xt on Lay-A-Way = Yuk!

Celestron8 i'm getting one soon I have it on Lay-A-Way O god i hate to here that sound :p I was thinking about the 996 when i got the 396 it's little sister I tell ya if there is a Local Radio shop that has one Go look at it) Have them let you hold this Radio it is Very well built in my Book Like the BC780 and the 785D a little shorter but with i think a little more Weight and it has a Din Kit to install in Din style Dashes)

I don't think you'd go wrong getting one and if you get one through scanner Master or Universal they can put your Local Frequencies into it then ship it out to ya..

Status
Not open for further replies.