Uniden BC346XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

STL73

Premium Subscriber
Pretty new to scanning,even newer to this forum. I live in Palm Beach County, FL and recently bought a Uniden BC346xt with the intent to listen to Fire Rescue and PBSO. Couple questions:

1. Does this particular scanner support the freq's being used by Fire Rescue and PBSO?

2. Going in I didn't realize how complex the programming can potentially be and was wondering if anybody in the area offered a pay service where you could get programmed for a fee to get up and running?

Would love to hear from anybody in the area who has any experience with either of these issues or just somebody to point me in the right direction if I'm off. Would especially like to hear from anybody in the same area and there thoughts. Thanks in advance.

STL73

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
Pretty new to scanning,even newer to this forum. I live in Palm Beach County, FL and recently bought a Uniden BC346xt with the intent to listen to Fire Rescue and PBSO. Couple questions:

1. Does this particular scanner support the freq's being used by Fire Rescue and PBSO?

Have one myself. Frequency coverage is not a problem. Modulation may be, depending on where you live. Many police departments in North America are now using digital modulation and the 346 won't do digital. There's still lots of analogue to be heard most places, however.

2. Going in I didn't realize how complex the programming can potentially be and was wondering if anybody in the area offered a pay service where you could get programmed for a fee to get up and running?

Programming is a big pain. But there's a solution. Get "Freescan" software (available on this site) and pay fifteen bucks for a membership here. You'll also need a programming cable as described in the manual.

Then you can download all the systems in your area from the Radio Reference database. Freescan makes the radio useable. Until I found out about that the 346, for me, was just a box full of electronics. Afterwards it was a nice radio that I had hours of fun with until I came up with some extra bucks and bought a digital capable scanner as the police around here are now all digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.