Suggestions for a P 25 Radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NP413

Premium Subscriber
Figured I'd start here first! I'm looking for a radio to listen to some P 25 channels in my area. I'm not looking to break the bank, since I really am just looking to listen to one channel. I've been toying with the idea of just getting an old Motorola two way. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? I was also eying the GRE PSR 500.

I'm all ears...errr eyes! ha

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Getting an old Motorola programmed may be a hassle, and there are potential problems if it is not done correctly. If you have a simulcast system, the 500 may work, but the PSR 800 is much better. The RS version of the PSR 800 (Pro 18) is on clearance at some stores right now for $200 and also handles simulcast better that the 500. It has the advantage of easy updating with the IScan software. The Pro 18 lacks some features of the Pro 800, but the price is over $250 below normal retail and far less than the 800.

N8IAA

Figured I'd start here first! I'm looking for a radio to listen to some P 25 channels in my area. I'm not looking to break the bank, since I really am just looking to listen to one channel. I've been toying with the idea of just getting an old Motorola two way. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? I was also eying the GRE PSR 500.

I'm all ears...errr eyes! ha

Think about the RS Pro-106 which is basically the same as the 500. Maybe even cheaper at the Shack. Going to be a bunch cheaper than getting a /\/\.
PSR-800 is almost as much as a /\/\.
HTH,
Larry

NP413

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys! Probably leaning toward the Pro 18 at this point. That's not a bad price.

KF5YBZ

Premium Subscriber
The RS version of the PSR 800 (Pro 18) is on clearance at some stores right now for $200...

Thanks for the heads up. Picked one up yesterday and synched up great. Plenty more available in DFW area.

LtDoc

I don't think you would be interested in what I would suggest for you to do about a P25 radio. I've found no particular benefit from them...
- 'Doc

rapidcharger

I've seen some p25 XTS3000s that were a little beat up and without battery for $50 . That's a lot cheaper than a scanner if you only want to listen to one channel. For about 3 times that price you can get something that's in great condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.