Do I need a Digital Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostech

Hello and Good Day!
Yes, I am new to Radio Reference.com and radio communication.

I work at the El Paso Times and have been advised to monitor the police scanner, to be on the look out for any news worthy material. Thought the Times has a couple of police scanners, the one at the office is old and does not work all the time.

I have read some of the threads and notice that here in El Paso Texas, the city police uses a digital band
El Paso Project 25 Regional Communications System Trunking System, El Paso, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

I am looking to purchase portable scanner for me to use at the office, home, and car. All I'm looking for is to listen if there was any kind of major accident on the road, fire or emergency services needed.

I was aiming to getting the Pro 107 or Pro 97, but will those models allow me to hear about the factory fire, or 3 car pile up on the freeway, since the EPPD uses P-25.

Thanks for your help...I appreciate your time.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
I am looking to purchase portable scanner for me to use at the office, home, and car. All I'm looking for is to listen if there was any kind of major accident on the road, fire or emergency services needed.

I was aiming to getting the Pro 107 or Pro 97, but will those models allow me to hear about the factory fire, or 3 car pile up on the freeway, since the EPPD uses P-25.

Thanks for your help...I appreciate your time.

Hello, and welcome!

The 107 and 97 will not handle P25. You'll need to pick up a Pro-106 or its cousin, the GRE PSR-500, to receive P25. The Uniden Bearcat 396XT handheld scanner will also receive P25. I have a Pro-106 and really like it.

Pro-106 - The RadioReference Wiki

PSR-500 - The RadioReference Wiki

BCD396XT - The RadioReference Wiki

Since these P25-capable scanners can be a challenge to program, you'll probably want to pick up a programming cable and software to program them. The software will download the information from the RR database(if you're a paid subscriber) and upload it into your scanner. There are many software packages which can be used to program these scanners. The links above contain information on the software which can be used for programming.

Clear as mud? :)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The other two current digital scanners are the HomePatrol-1 and BCD996XT.

ryolsen8

Feed Provider
The other two current digital scanners are the HomePatrol-1 and BCD996XT.

I have found that the Pro 106/GRE500 are the easiest to program for beginners. Also, DO NOT have Radio Shack Program it, they put in everything regardless of what you say and or ask for. I learned that the hard way.. :)

ghostech

Great Info!!

Flythunderbird, I'll start looking for deals on the Pro-106 or its cousin, the GRE PSR-500...good to know that you like the Pro 106. This is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you!

ghostech

Thanks again for everyone's reply...I will start immediately and keep u guys updated on my new quest for a scanner.

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
I have found that the Pro 106/GRE500 are the easiest to program for beginners. Also, DO NOT have Radio Shack Program it, they put in everything regardless of what you say and or ask for. I learned that the hard way.. :)

I agree with ryolsen here...the 106/500 are the easiest to program for beginners. I started with the 500 and it was fairly easy to program using the software, cable and RR subscription. And yes, don't let RS touch it...they sell cell phones not scanners and most of them really don't know what they are doing when it comes to scanners anymore.

It appears you are looking for a handheld, but in addition to the ones already mentioned there is also the GRE PSR 600/RS PRO 197, which is the base version of the PSR 500/RS 106 respectively.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.