What Scanner is needed to listen to P25 network? Specifically WVSIRN P25 Network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joejoef420

Premium Subscriber
I live in West Virginia and they have switched to the p25 network so I am no longer getting my local police on my current scanner. I have been looking to buy a new scanner with trunk tracking capabilities but I have noticed their are different levels of trunk tracking scanners. Do I need a trunk tracker 3 or a truck tracker 4 to listen to the p 25 network? I hate to spend $250 on a scanner with trunk tracker 3 to find out it wont pick up the P25 network. Or will any trunk tracking scanner pick up the WVSIRN P25 Network?
Any help is VERY much appreciated!

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
TrunkTracker III, IV, and V are all marketing terms for Uniden's line of products and are not inclusive of other options on the market. If you are looking for a Uniden product, then you want to look for anything that is TrunkTracker IV (P25 Phase I) or V (P25 Phase II) (the higher the number, the "better"). Any scanner marketed as digital will function for SIRN. SIRN is operating as P25 Phase I, so just about anything on the list I am attaching below will follow it.

A consideration to make is that a P25 Phase II scanner is backwards compatible and will properly follow the system you are looking for. It is also relatively future proof (for the time being) in the event that SIRN upgrades to P25 Phase II. If the scanner is not on this list, then it cannot do P25. You might also want to visit the West Virginia Radio Discussion Forum to look for discussions regarding SIRN and whether or not there are plans to upgrade the system to Phase II or for recommendations on scanners. It's possible that a P25 Phase I scanner will keep you going for a long while.

Current P25 Phase II Scanners:
Uniden BCD436HP (Handheld)
Uniden BCD536HP (Base/Mobile)

Special Case P25 Phase II Scanners:
The following model is discontinued but may still be found online. Will eventually be resold under a different name in the future.
GRE PSR-800 [Future Whistler WS1080] (Handheld)

Current P25 Phase I Scanners:
RadioShack Pro-651 [Same as the discontinued RadioShack Pro-106 & Future Whistler WS1040] (Handheld)
RadioShack Pro-652 [Same as the discontinued RadioShack Pro-197 & Future Whistler WS1065] (Base/Mobile)
Uniden BCD396XT (Handheld)
Uniden BCD996XT (Base/Mobile)
Uniden HomePatrol-1 (Base/Mobile)

Discontinued P25 Phase I Scanners:
GRE PSR-500 (Handheld)
GRE PSR-600 (Base/Mobile)
RadioShack Pro-18 (Handheld)
Uniden BCD396T (Handheld)
Uniden BCD996T (Base/Mobile)

Older Discontinued P25 Phase I Scanners (Lacking 700 MHz):
RadioShack Pro-96 (Handheld)
RadioShack Pro-2096 (Base/Mobile)
Uniden BC296D (Handheld)
Uniden BC796D (Base/Mobile)

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I live in WV and use the Uniden BCD436HP to monitor WV-SIRN. I'd rather buy one scanner now that will work with future system upgrades than buy a scanner now and then another scanner when they upgrade.

joejoef420

Premium Subscriber
wow, thanks guys. I was getting "CRAP" overload on my internet searches trying to find out what I needed.

joeuser

The Wretched
Whoops... & DSD+ search the software defined radio (SDR) forums & trunking... something forum - someone will straighten me out

Status
Not open for further replies.