dealer installed nmo tnc termination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgilk1

So I think I have finally chosen a scanner that will allow me to listen to the police in my area again (home Patrol).
My current setup because I was cheap and lazy is a roof mounted Magnetic mount I picked up at radio shack for $3 as part of there going out of business liquidation..

How ever my truck has a dealer installed nmo option for what was a pioneer analogue cellphone (I haven't tested yet but from dealer options it is 50 ohms cable) that terminates in a tnc male connection under my driver seat about 2 feet from where I need it...

The question is because I want the ability to remove the magnetic mount and have several options for frequency is it better to replace the nmo mount with the longer cable that terminates where I need it to with the right connector or use a patch cable from the existing tnc connector over to the new scanner (cost for the patch or the new nmo are the same) lazy side of me just wants to patch cable but then with the connection will I lose signal?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
A proper length cable with the NMO and correct connector to match your radio will work "better", but likely won't be noticeable.
If you feel motivated, you can order the NMO mounts pre-terminated with the right connectors.

In reality, if you purchase a quality extension cable with the right connectors on the two ends, you would probably be fine. While extra connectors do introduce some loss, it is very minimal and unless you have the right test equipment, you probably would never notice.

jgilk1

I was under the same thought process as I deal with voltage and resistance near daily in my other hobby (vaping) and with "transmission of power" the losses are greater perceived then with reception of the signal yeah I agree that it would not be noticeable.

Next thing can any one recommended some nmo antennas? Normal frequency ranges with the new scanner will be 140-156- 450- and um police bands to lazy to type them ut
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2989

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6690

Status
Not open for further replies.