Old analog guy needs help with pro 651

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've owned analog scanners 20+ years (RS Pro 25, 26, 51) and just scored my first digital (new Pro 651 @ $229).

I've successfully programmed my local analog freqs but am not sure I can handle programming the digital for Missouri Highway Patrol at Lake of the Ozarks. Their old analog freq was 155.595 and then they went digital - Phase I.

These are the freqs I found at RR for the area. I assume they are the new digitals.

769.16875 -- 769.91875c -- 770.66875a -- 774.04375

Could someone give me a short course on how to program these frequencies into my pro 651?

Do I need to do talk groups as well???

Thanks for any help you can give.

R

retiredmich

davidervin2431, I be leave this is what you are looking for, & yes you need to do a TG, I don't be leave there is a short cut, but this should help you. The Ozarks is in zone -G-

Missouri Highway Patrol - Troop G (Willow Springs) Talkgroups

101 065 D Trp G Admin Troop G: Admin Law Tac
102 066 D Trp G CVE Troop G: Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Law Tac
103 067 D Trp G Aviatn Troop G: Aviation Law Tac
104 068 D Trp G DDCC Troop G: DDCC Law Tac
105 069 D Trp G Disp 1 Troop G: Dispatch 1 [G-1] Law Dispatch
106 06a D Trp G Car 1 Troop G: Car-to-Car 1 Law Tac
107 06b D Trp G Disp 2 Troop G: Dispatch 2 [G-2] Law Dispatch
108 06c D Trp G Car 2 Troop G: Car-to-Car 2 Law Tac
109 06d D Trp G Disp 3 Troop G: Dispatch 3 [G-3] Law Dispatch
110 06e D Trp G Car 3 Troop G: Car-to-Car 3 Law Tac
111 06f D Trp G Marine Troop G: Marine Law Tac
112 070 D Trp G Tac 1 Troop G: Tac 1 Law Tac
113 071 D Trp G Tac 2 Troop G: Tac 2 Law Tac
114 072 D Trp G Tac 3 Troop G: Tac 3 Law Tac
115 073 D Trp G SWAT Troop G: SWAT Law Tac

krokus

Premium Subscriber
These are the freqs I found at RR for the area. I assume they are the new digitals.

Could someone give me a short course on how to program these frequencies into my pro 651?

The c after the one freq means it is the control channel. This is the freq you will need to add to the TSYS, so the scanner can follow the trunking. Similarly, the a after another freq means that freq it is an alternate control channel, any of those should be listed, too.

The TGRPs will have to be added to which ever scan lists you want them to be a part of. Any talkgroup can be in as many scan lists as you would like.

Sent via Tapatalk

RonnieUSA

I've owned analog scanners 20+ years (RS Pro 25, 26, 51) and just scored my first digital (new Pro 651 @ $229).

I've successfully programmed my local analog freqs but am not sure I can handle programming the digital for Missouri Highway Patrol at Lake of the Ozarks. Their old analog freq was 155.595 and then they went digital - Phase I.

The only 2 You will need to program are, 769.91875c -- 770.66875a these are the control, and alternative channels, and then add the talkgroups You want to hear.

retiredmich: Thanks for the reply. The county would be Morgan, which is still analog for local police, sheriff, medical services. The Water Patrol (now part of the Missouri State Highway Patrol) is Troop F out of Jefferson City.

So...what do I do, enter each of those frequencies (I know, I'll need to find the frequencies for Jeff City as you supplied Willow Springs) using the TGRP key and save??? That's all???

Also, if I enter a freq using the "CONV" key and it turns out the freq is digital can I still hear it???

Thanks so much for the help!

Talk group Help

OK, so I'm SLOWLY getting this programming figured out and then I run into this in the talkgroup programming:

DEC=20151 HEX = 4eb7
DEC=20152 HEX = 4eb8

How do I enter THIS into the scanner???????????
These are just two of the Missouri State Highway Patrol talkgroup frequencies for Jefferson City Troop F that I need to enter.

Missouri State Highway Patrol frequencies for Troop G Willow Springs seems to be more simple:

DEC=101 HEX = 065 which I presume translates into 101.065

HELP!!!!!!!!!!! and THANKS!!!!!

There are videos on YouTube on how to program the PRO-106 and PRO-197 scanners and I am 99% certain the PRO-651 uses the same protocol. (And I am 100% certain that if I am wrong, someone will let me know!)

Need help with programming talk groups

Hello.

I'm dead-ended on programming talkgroups and would really appreciate some help.

If a listing on RR for talkgroups shows this:

DEC=101 Hex=065 I presume I would program 101.065. Correct?

The frequencies I really need to program are shown as DEC=20151 HEX=4eb7

This has stopped me dead in my tracks. How do I program "4eb7" ??????

I posted a similar question in my old thread but I'm not sure anyone has seen it.

Thanks so much. (RS Pro 651 scanner)

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Are you getting frequencies and talkgroups confused? Once you are receiving the trunked system then you start to add talkgroups, TG's! Use only the DEC.

Or better yet, let the thing scan and as you see a TG you want to keep, then save it, and then alpha tag it later...

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello.

I'm dead-ended on programming talkgroups and would really appreciate some help.

If a listing on RR for talkgroups shows this:

DEC=101 Hex=065 I presume I would program 101.065. Correct?

The frequencies I really need to program are shown as DEC=20151 HEX=4eb7

This has stopped me dead in my tracks. How do I program "4eb7" ??????

I posted a similar question in my old thread but I'm not sure anyone has seen it.

Thanks so much. (RS Pro 651 scanner)
See this Wiki page for basic instructions on entering a trunked system manually (through the keyboard): Programming Shortcut PSR-500/600 RS Pro-106/197 - The RadioReference Wiki
Your scanner is programmed the same way as those listed in the title of the page.

Also see Getting Started with your GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

While, with patience, you can certainly program your new scanner manually through the keyboard, it is much easier and faster to do so via software. While Whistler (and their predecessor, GRE) includes the pc interface cable with their models (the equivalent Whistler scanner for yours is the WS1040), Radio Shack does not, treating it as an extra cost optional accessory. If you have, or choose to buy, the cable, then see this page for software that works with your scanner: Object Oriented Scanner Software - The RadioReference Wiki
All three software programs (ARC500, PSREdit500, and Win500) have a thirty day free trial before you have to purchase the program.

The biggest advantage to software, for a person new to scanners, or at least new to that particular type of scanner (DMA for the Uniden scanners, or Object Oriented for scanners such as your Pro-651) is that you can see most, if not all, of the needed information at one time, making it much easier to spot and correct simple errors and omissions made during data entry. The other advantage is that of you get stumped at some point, you can post your software file on the forum here, and someone else can take a look as to where the problem lies. Also, you may be able to get a sample file from another member, to give you a jump start.

Thanks for the info and links. I MIGHT try software to program this, but all I have for computers are Macs and setting up an emulation program would be another learning experience.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info and links. I MIGHT try software to program this, but all I have for computers are Macs and setting up an emulation program would be another learning experience.
The link to the specific 'manual' for your model of scanner is not functioning at this time. However, the Easier to Read manual, found here, is also very informative. Use the link from that page that includes your model number. Might try it tomorrow, as I doubt the issue will get fixed tonight (no idea what's wrong with the link).

DickH

Freqs. are neither Analog or Digital. Analog & Digital is somewhat like the difference between AM & FM. It's just a different type of modulation.
Your problem is understanding Trunking. That is further complicated by the newer type of programming where there are no Banks as in your old scanners.
Here is a simple explanation of how Motorola Trunking works:

MOTOROLA TRUNKING

The object of trunking is to allow many users to share a relatively few frequencies.
A trunking system is controlled by a computer. Information (data) is exchanged between the system radios and the computer on a control channel, sometimes called a data channel. It sounds like a strong buzz.

A large system can have up to 28 freqs., 4 of which may be used as control channels. The control channel may be changed once a day or as often as the programmer decides. Some scanners need only the control channels to track an entire system. Just put in the 4 Control Channels.

Each group of users (Fire, Police, etc.) is assigned TALK GROUPS. In a Motorola Type II system, the most common type, TGs are usually in 32 number steps starting with 16 and going up to 65536; 16, 48, 80 --- 4656, 4688, 4720 --- 28944, 28976, etc. System radios can have more than 100 TGs programmed into them.

After all the freqs. have been entered and it is "trunking", the Banks become SCAN LISTS where you enter the Talk Groups you want to hear. Use the Talk Group numbers in the DEC column.

When a user pushes the talk button on his radio, data is sent to the computer. The computer chooses an unused freq. and sends that data to all the radios using the TG of the originating unit. This all happens in a fraction of a second and it happens EVERY TIME a radio is used.

EXAMPLE:
Fire Dispatch calling Engine 4 (TG 4528 on 856.7125)
Engine 4 answering Dispatch (TG 4528 on 852.2625)
Respond to 73 Elm Street (TG 4528 on 855.9625)
Engine 4 responding (TG 4528 on 851.6375)

If you have entered TG 4528 into your scanner, it will decode the control channel data and change your scanner freqs. to follow the conversation on TG 4528.

Status
Not open for further replies.