Looking for portable scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. A newbie here. I am looking for a portable scanner that i can listen to certain fire departments, DOT, weather. Without all the bell and whistle. Dont want to spend alot of cash for it. This portable can move one truck to another.
I am a fire fighter also but my pager is just for one fire dept.
Thanks

bailly2

Dot is on vhf or UHF, Sullivan county fire is still low band vhf
In analog mode. Just search eBay for radio scanner weather
..on the left side of the screen I filtered it for scanners 1 dollar
To 50 dollars, selected portables, and saw scanners such as the
Uniden 60xlt1 for $38 that would do the job.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
The BC60 is not a current model from Uniden. It has been replaced by a newer model, the BC75XLT, which runs about $79 brand new.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
What types of radio systems are used in your area? Do they use a trunked system? Digital?

Will any of the agencies you want to listen to upgrade to a new system?

Sent via Tapatalk

retropcdos

Premium Subscriber
Hello. A newbie here. I am looking for a portable scanner that i can listen to certain fire departments, DOT, weather. Without all the bell and whistle. Dont want to spend alot of cash for it. This portable can move one truck to another.
I am a fire fighter also but my pager is just for one fire dept.
Thanks

Assuming you need a conventional analog area

Uniden Bearcat BC75XLT May be all you really need, but less memory and no alpha tagging.

Uniden Bearcat BC125AT With alpha tagging, more memory and Civilian & Military Airbands.

For the price would just go for this one for brand new one. It works really well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uniden-BC12...247?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58bc37bbef

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As stated before Roscoe is in Sullivan County, NY - in fact I used to live just south of there in NJ.

Here is the database entry for that area

Sullivan County, New York (NY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

The very bottom of this page shows the trunk systems in the area.

Western, the 2 scanners mentioned earlier will work fine if this is all you want to hear. However I would caution that these are consumer grade scanners and not made to take the rigors of going out on calls. No consumer grade scanner would, frankly. I would strongly suggest a proper carrying case to help cushion the blows (Scanner Master may have them).

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Neither does the 75 -I just wanted to point out where you can find that information if the readers (and the OP) didn't know...Mike

Blackink

I'm not familiar with the other two scanners so I didn't give my opinion on them.

One things for sure, if the OP wants to hear Trunked Systems in his area, he better do some research to make sure he gets a scanner that is capable of doing it.

retropcdos

Premium Subscriber
If you interest are only what you stated the non trucking scanner will be fine The Uniden Bearcat BC75XLT, or. Uniden Bearcat BC125AT.

For following analog trunk systems

Radio Shack Pro 97 This is a pretty good analog scanner and can be found cheap.

Uniden BC346XTC

Even a R/S pro 651, which is pretty much the same as the great pro-106. As they are being sold cheaper then what they normally go for. For $169 with free shipping is a good price and this one and will do p25 decode phase 1. Plus has good quality audio.

RadioShack Pro 651 PRO651 Digital Trunking Handheld Radio VHF UHF Police Scanner | eBay

Last edited:
truck scanner

A newbie here. Looking for a simple scanner that helps me knowing what going on while on highways and county roads and weather alarts. Sometimes may have to back roads if highway blocked off.
My fire pager wont work once out of range. Cell phone can be crappy depends where i am.
Would bearcat 355N will work? Right now testing a Retevis two way radio/scanner RT5. Dont know that will works for me. Got 2 weeks trail test on that thing.. havent get it working yet.

Hello. It been awhile
. Havent got one yet.. started looking at bearcat 355N. Will this work? Also got on trail testing which is a Retevis 2 way tadio with scanner model rt5. Any good?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Knowing where you are, and what systems you want to listen to will help us know which scanner is good for that area.

Sent via Tapatalk

Yup in sullivan county and goes work in orange county. Looking at narrow band besides standard bands. I want something where i can put my favorite setting.

N8IAA

Hello. It been awhile
. Havent got one yet.. started looking at bearcat 355N. Will this work? Also got on trail testing which is a Retevis 2 way tadio with scanner model rt5. Any good?

BC75. It will get you everything for your county.
There are five trunk systems in the county, three you can't hear because no current scanner can decode the signals. The other two are Phase I and LTR. And those two are not going to be of any interest.
Larry

N8IAA,
Thanks for your input and others. N8IAA, your insight was very good, i was looking at the radio numbers. Most of them are in the narrowband range/ some are trunked (fire/parmedic/DOT) The police are pretty much in the encrypted range, like you said it would be a waste of time or cash to get scanner for it.
I am more primary listening for weather alert and road issues where i might have take the back road.
The BC75 OR BC125 would fit in my needs. What about BC346XTC?

N8IAA

N8IAA,
Thanks for your input and others. N8IAA, your insight was very good, i was looking at the radio numbers. Most of them are in the narrowband range/ some are trunked (fire/parmedic/DOT) The police are pretty much in the encrypted range, like you said it would be a waste of time or cash to get scanner for it.
I am more primary listening for weather alert and road issues where i might have take the back road.
The BC75 OR BC125 would fit in my needs. What about BC346XTC?

Those five trunk systems have no law enforcement or FD on them.
Your county, if I read the database correctly, show you have analog conventional frequencies. They are VHF High and Low band.
The 75 will work, but you get a couple of additional features, alphatags and the ability to add CTCSS/DCS codes to be able to hear only what you program into the scanner.
The 346XTC would be overkill.
Larry

SCPD

QRT
Those five trunk systems have no law enforcement or FD on them.
Your county, if I read the database correctly, show you have analog conventional frequencies. They are VHF High and Low band.
The 75 will work, but you get a couple of additional features, alphatags and the ability to add CTCSS/DCS codes to be able to hear only what you program into the scanner.
The 346XTC would be overkill.
Larry

The BC75XLT does not have alpha tags or CTCSS/DCS.

The BC125AT does, has better band coverage and has 200 additional channel storage. Well worth the $25.00 extra (Amazon price).

Status
Not open for further replies.