• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

best frequencies to use with Baofengs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justinm001

Picked up a few Baofeng BF-F8HP's and are planning on using them with buddies for ATV riding. I know these are not FCC part 95 compliant and i know everything i shouldn't be doing. I'm doing extensive research and knowing everything i need to know before even using these things. We ride on ATV federal trails at Wayne National Forest where some weekends there are many others and others we're like the only ones there. Because ATV riding can be dangerous and life threatening im looking for information so we can get help where cell service is unavailable. There are multiple Helipads for emergencies on the trails, but it doesn't help much if we can't communicate with anyone. I'm hoping with Chirp i can program these frequencies and make simple instructions for my friends to use. Of course this is just for emergencies and nothing else.

Best frequencies for legal chat for us to use?
Best frequencies to find others chatting?
Best frequencies for best power even if not legal?
Best frequencies for emergency services?
Best frequencies for federal park sevices, rangers, etc?

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
The only frequencies that would be totally legal would be the Amateur Radio bands (144-148 and 420-450) if you had a Ham license. that being said, MURS and FRS are license by rule and you will likely hear chatter on them. using the units in the Ham bands without a license will likely result in local hams reporting your unlicensed operation. Many GMRS licenses would do the same. Operating (transmitting) on frequencies used by other entities (like the rangers or other Public safety) or any frequency you are not authorized for is a violation of Federal Law -and you would be talking to law enforcement-not a good idea at all.

I would suggest your group study and get your Technician class Amateur (or Ham) licenses and use the radios legally. By doing that you would also be able to use the local repeaters if needed. The test basically covers rules and regs for amateur radio plus demonstrating enough knowledge to follow those rules. There are several sites on the web that provide information and even practice tests for the exams and they are given locally by volunteer examiners-local hams you for the most part would be glad help you and likely even offer classes for the license.

MURS, GMRS and FRS frequencies are listed in this sites Wiki. Take time to learn -but feel free to start listening today.

Free advise-money back guarantee :)

Aero125

Be prepared to get jumped all over by posting the desire to use radios illegally on this forum. The best and only legal solution is to get technician radio licenses and find out what repeaters cover the area you plan to ride.

nd5y

Even if you were licensed and had a legal radio the "best frequencies" to use depends on your location and type of license you have.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Some straight answers, only slightly tongue in cheek...

Best frequencies for legal chat for us to use?

869-896 MHz

Best frequencies to find others chatting?

535-1705 KHz

Best frequencies for best power even if not legal?

27 MHz

Best frequencies for emergency services?

869-896 MHz

Best frequencies for federal park sevices, rangers, etc?

The ones in use.

Your questions are too vague to be useful. Yeah, we get what you're wanting to do, but you're not going to find many people here that think it's a good idea. You've got Baofengs. I'm beginning to hate those damned things just because every third day someone comes along and asks how to use the things in a manner that isn't kosher.

There ARE NO "best" frequencies. There are different frequencies for different uses. Part of the definition of "best" is which ones can you use properly.

So, scratch any government/public safety frequencies off your "best" list. Best frequencies for best power? That one doesn't even make any sense, so scratch that one.

Best frequencies legal for YOU to chat on? With those radios? There are none. That's none, as in ZERO.

That leaves you with best frequencies to find people chatting on. That would probably be 144-148 MHz, in the 2m ham band. But YOU won't be chatting with them.

How about frequencies you CAN use without getting into a piss pot full of trouble... Try looking up the MURS and FRS frequencies. Your radio isn't "legal" for those, but realistically, no one is going to care except for us pedantic simpletons at RadioReference.

Your next best bet is to pay the money, and get GMRS licenses. You basically just buy those. That'll give you a handful of other frequencies to use. Again, not "legal" on that radio, but no one will care.

After that, it's time to make some effort and get a ham license. Lot's of frequencies and lots of people to chat with.

And do us all a favor and just stay the hell off the public safety frequencies. No one wants you there, and just having them programmed "in case" leaves you open to all sorts of liability.

rapidcharger

Because ATV riding can be dangerous and life threatening im looking for information so we can get help where cell service is unavailable.

Everyone skipped right over this.
Your best bet for getting help is going to be a PLB.
PLBs and Satellite Messengers: How to Choose - REI Expert Advice

If you want to prepare for making a distress call, the next best thing to have in my opinion is a VHF ham radio, preferably a mobile with a mobile or portable base antenna. Since you do not have a license, you will not be able to use this for anything other than a distress call in a life or death situation. There are no guarantees you will be able to make a contact. If you are boxed in by mountains there will be nobody to hear your screams.

If you want to chit chat between other riders and don't want to get a license, here are two options in order of my preference.

1.) MURS radios. Check these bad boys out...
Motorola RMM2050 MURS Two Way Radio

2.) Family Radio Service radios.
Here are some decent FRS radios

So the baofeng will be of limited usefulness. If it's not too late, personally I would return them and get my money back and buy one of these other types of radios if you think that is what you need.

justinm001

Be prepared to get jumped all over by posting the desire to use radios illegally on this forum. The best and only legal solution is to get technician radio licenses and find out what repeaters cover the area you plan to ride.

I knew that was exactly what was going to happen and was trying to avoid it. Getting a license is not an issue. FRS is limited to .5watt and MURS is 2watts which can't handle our needs in hills.

Purchasing just FRS/GMRS or MURS isn't going to help us find other riders or park services if needed. I'm unable to find any information on emergency service frequencies other than whats listed here. Since these baofeng's operate on multiple frequencies and can help us find other users if they seem the best fit for our needs.

Also i do not see any repeaters in the area so that doesn't look like an option. Before receiving these i wasn't sure if it was possible to use the 8watt power on all frequencies.

I guess our only option is to scan while there for other riders and park services. If we use a standard FRS channel it seems we'll have best luck finding others. Another option is to create a mobile repeater on our base camp.

Legality isn't important when there's a life threatening emergency. using a PLB/ELT would work for life threatening but only send SOS signals without any communications which isn't ideal.

rapidcharger

I knew that was exactly what was going to happen and was trying to avoid it. Getting a license is not an issue. FRS is limited to .5watt and MURS is 2watts which can't handle our needs in hills. )))
Do you think you're going to be able to do remarkably better with 4 or 5 watts what cannot be done with two watts? When it comes to terrain obstructions, the difference will be negligible if any noticeable improvement.

(((Purchasing just FRS/GMRS or MURS isn't going to help us find other riders or park services if needed. ))))

Park services? What do you mean by that?

((( I'm unable to find any information on emergency service frequencies other than whats listed here. )))

Well, this is perhaps the largest collection of that information. If you're wanting to know what the park rangers frequencies are so you can transmit on those, you may find those frequencies here but know that many of that has migrated to Project 25 digital which is not something that the Baofeng will be able to do. Depending on where you are, also most local emergency services are using a trunking system. The baofeng is not a trunking radio. It's not going to be of any help there. If its not digital and not trunking, chances are good it's using repeaters. Which means you're going to need the specific input and output frequencies as well as any coded squelch tones that might be in use. A lot of that is shown on this site and a lot of it isn't. It varies from place to place. You will have to be more specific if you want to know the details of the park rangers' repeater so you can program your radio to transmit on that.

(((Since these baofeng's operate on multiple frequencies and can help us find other users if they seem the best fit for our needs. )))
You should definitely keep one on hand but I would not count on it saving you in the event you need to make a distress call. I can't tell you how many times I've been locked in by mountains and you can scan every band for hours and hours and days and days and never hear anything because there is no way for the signals to penetrate deep into that. That's where it's handy to have a something like a PLB.

(((Also i do not see any repeaters in the area so that doesn't look like an option. Before receiving these i wasn't sure if it was possible to use the 8watt power on all frequencies. )))
8 watts? I don't think the baefeng will do 8 watts.

(((I guess our only option is to scan while there for other riders and park services.)))

You have more than just that one option.

((( If we use a standard FRS channel it seems we'll have best luck finding others. )))
Perhaps you will. That's why I suggested FRS radios.

((Another option is to create a mobile repeater on our base camp. )))
That is a really silly idea.

(((Legality isn't important when there's a life threatening emergency. using a PLB/ELT would work for life threatening but only send SOS signals without any communications which isn't ideal.
What would you rather have get out? A one way beacon or nothing at all?

You obviously have an interest in radio. And you're obviously sold on using hte baofeng and common sense will not talk you out of it. So get your ham ticket and then use it all you want. You've already made up your mind. Here's a link to testing sessions.
Find an Amateur Radio License Exam in Your Area

good luck and maybe I'll catch you on the bands. Til then, stay out of trouble.

safetypro79

Scanning since 1967
Premium Subscriber
Anchorage-Alaska, Boise-Idaho, Salem-Oregon
Best to plan

Enjoy your ATV's ride responsible and safe

plan for the worst, friends/family notification of time frames where you are going when you expect to be back cell service ? Phone numbers: PR EMS

As previous posted MURS or FRS freqs are your best unlicensed freqs, maybe some comms on those frees in the wilds depending on population, location, etc

As far as emergencies go and using PS frequencies most authorities take a very dim view of some person who got themselves in trouble by not planning to try or access their PS frequencies to call for help

Be Safe, Responsible, Plan and Prepaired

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've been riding ATV's for years in remote areas. Listen to what these guys above are telling you, they are on the mark.

From day one, I've always carried a radio. I've been injured in an ATV wreck in a very remote area of Northern California and had to call for help (broken pelvis).

We are mostly running UTV's now and have mobile radios installed. A few with ATV's are carrying handhelds.
FRS/GMRS is probably your best bet for hearing other riders. MURS is unlikely as there are not many consumer available radios out there. It much more prevalent to see the consumer grade FRS/GMRS radios. Even with that, you need to be on the right channel and have the right CTCSS/DCS codes for the others to hear you. This can make random contacts almost impossible.

Long ago we moved off GMRS and everyone got their amateur radio license. This will give you access to many repeater where you will have better coverage and a higher likelihood of reaching someone else.

Trying to reach public safety type help on law enforcement/fire/rescue/ems/park service/forest service radio systems is NOT the way to do this, no matter what you think. Calls on those systems from people who don't belong there are often taken as hoaxes.

We carry PLB's. These are the correct tools to be using for what you want. If you want to reach emergency services ASAP and provide accurate information, use the tool that is designed for that. They'll work places your radio will not.

justinm001

I've been riding ATV's for years in remote areas. Listen to what these guys above are telling you, they are on the mark.

From day one, I've always carried a radio. I've been injured in an ATV wreck in a very remote area of Northern California and had to call for help (broken pelvis).

We are mostly running UTV's now and have mobile radios installed. A few with ATV's are carrying handhelds.
FRS/GMRS is probably your best bet for hearing other riders. MURS is unlikely as there are not many consumer available radios out there. It much more prevalent to see the consumer grade FRS/GMRS radios. Even with that, you need to be on the right channel and have the right CTCSS/DCS codes for the others to hear you. This can make random contacts almost impossible.

Long ago we moved off GMRS and everyone got their amateur radio license. This will give you access to many repeater where you will have better coverage and a higher likelihood of reaching someone else.

Trying to reach public safety type help on law enforcement/fire/rescue/ems/park service/forest service radio systems is NOT the way to do this, no matter what you think. Calls on those systems from people who don't belong there are often taken as hoaxes.

We carry PLB's. These are the correct tools to be using for what you want. If you want to reach emergency services ASAP and provide accurate information, use the tool that is designed for that. They'll work places your radio will not.

Thank you. Being new to the whole radio system, i've been reading and reading, but unfortunately most information is very hard to find, especially looking for things you cannot physically do vs. not legally allowed to do. I initially was under the assumption that most park rangers/park services transmit through frequencies that we could use if needed. The national park is very large and there are service roads throughout the area, but these are unmarked on any map (ATV or otherwise), I was hoping while setting up camp, we could scan all available frequencies and might pickup their signal and keep it just in case an emergency.

I have a couple sport quads (raptor 700, suzuki z450) and they are very dangerous, i've been riding before and broke a wheel, which took over 4 hours to find someone to take me back to camp to meet others, having a radio would of definitely helped me find my party or others in the area. Usually we ride in small groups of 3-4 so its much safer, but with so many UTV's and SxS's they just can't keep up so we're constantly stopping and waiting for them.

I keep a PLB in my plane next to the standard ELT but its easy for search/rescue to find a downed plane, finding a guy in the middle of the woods is much harder.

As a group we estimated $350 a piece for decent radios, with the baofengs only being $65 and another $25 for a headset money isn't much of an issue. But it seems its not the radios but the terrain and limitations that are the issue.

DisasterGuy

As someone that does professional public safety radio and emergency management for a living and has experience in SAR, your two best tools for what you describe for emergencies are a PLB and Satellite phone. PLBs are much more advanced than ELTs and are easy to find even in the woods. GMRS is your best option for ATV to ATV.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

justinm001

Do you think you're going to be able to do remarkably better with 4 or 5 watts what cannot be done with two watts? When it comes to terrain obstructions, the difference will be negligible if any noticeable improvement.
if a standard FRS is .5 watt and the baofeng operate at 8 watts. isn't there a much better range with the higher wattage? i understand terrain obstructions will completely block the signal, but if one party needs to reach another party, couldn't we both reach a high ground and have a much better chance of reaching eachother?

Park services? What do you mean by that?
Either standard park maintenance services crews or park rangers. I don't believe all people working at parks are all rangers. If i see a trash guy driving in a federal park car, i'm assuming he must have a radio and could contact HQ for assistance.

Well, this is perhaps the largest collection of that information. If you're wanting to know what the park rangers frequencies are so you can transmit on those, you may find those frequencies here but know that many of that has migrated to Project 25 digital which is not something that the Baofeng will be able to do. Depending on where you are, also most local emergency services are using a trunking system. The baofeng is not a trunking radio. It's not going to be of any help there. If its not digital and not trunking, chances are good it's using repeaters. Which means you're going to need the specific input and output frequencies as well as any coded squelch tones that might be in use. A lot of that is shown on this site and a lot of it isn't. It varies from place to place. You will have to be more specific if you want to know the details of the park rangers' repeater so you can program your radio to transmit on that.
Being new to all this i was hoping there might be standard frequencies standard federal park employees use, or at least some information i could try. I'm betting if i ask them, they'll say i don't know and look at their radio for a frequency.

You should definitely keep one on hand but I would not count on it saving you in the event you need to make a distress call. I can't tell you how many times I've been locked in by mountains and you can scan every band for hours and hours and days and days and never hear anything because there is no way for the signals to penetrate deep into that. That's where it's handy to have a something like a PLB.
Thanks, just trying to be prepared without being paranoid :)

8 watts? I don't think the baefeng will do 8 watts.
Baofeng BF-F8HP will do 1,4,8 watts. We picked up a couple of those and a cheaper BF-F8+ thats only 5 watts
https://baofengtech.com/pdf/CompareChart.pdf

That is a really silly idea.
I don't know how repeaters work yet and it might be completely nuts, but buying a couple of these baofengs, a repeater cable to connect the 2, and a couple very large antennas, all hooked up to our truck at a base camp in the middle up high on a hill, might just give us what we need.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thank you. Being new to the whole radio system, i've been reading and reading, but unfortunately most information is very hard to find, especially looking for things you cannot physically do vs. not legally allowed to do. I initially was under the assumption that most park rangers/park services transmit through frequencies that we could use if needed. The national park is very large and there are service roads throughout the area, but these are unmarked on any map (ATV or otherwise), I was hoping while setting up camp, we could scan all available frequencies and might pickup their signal and keep it just in case an emergency.

Right, -legally- you cannot transmit without a license or specific written permission from the license holder. There isn't any legal exception to this if you want to follow the FCC rules. Ignoring the rules might work, but it isn't usually the best solution. There isn't a guarantee that there is someone listening, and you always run the risk of them thinking it's a hoax.

If your maps do not have the trail numbers on it, then you are using the wrong maps. Contact the national forest/BLM office where you ride and ask them. They will either provide a map or sell you a map that covers the area, including the trail numbers. I think the last National Forest Service map I bought was $7.00 and it include everything we needed. Occasionally you'll find a single track that isn't on the map, but more often than not it's not a "real" trail.

I have a couple sport quads (raptor 700, suzuki z450) and they are very dangerous, i've been riding before and broke a wheel, which took over 4 hours to find someone to take me back to camp to meet others, having a radio would of definitely helped me find my party or others in the area. Usually we ride in small groups of 3-4 so its much safer, but with so many UTV's and SxS's they just can't keep up so we're constantly stopping and waiting for them.

I hear you. I used to ride quads but switched to UTV's after I crashed. Needed to carry my son, too, so out went the quad and in came a Polaris Ranger. Actually, the group I ride with includes 2 Rangers, 2 Rzr's, and a Yamaha Rhino. All 5 have mounted mobile radios with antennas on top. Our riding style changed a bit, but not much.

With the UTV's we can carry enough supplies to take care of ourselves. Our riding is pretty remote, so being prepared is key. All our machines carry the right tools. Mine usually have a 60+ pound tool box in the back. We've torn down carburetors and fuel pumps on the trail before. Bent wheels and flat tires are common, and we'll either fix those on the trail, or two of the machines carry a spare tire/wheel set.

In addition to the tools, there are 2 full trauma kits in Pelican cases. PLB, a couple of spare hand held radios, winches, tow chain, snatch blocks, survival supplies, "walk out" kits", fire starting supplies, tarps for shelters, lots of water, lots of fuel and usually 3 dogs....

Being fully prepared is absolutely key. We do our best to never rely on anyone else for our own survival. When each of us is riding $10K to $15K UTV's, going unprepared is pointless. Adding a $400 mobile radio and proper antenna is a simple and cost effective tool. Putting all that work and money into something and then cutting corners on something as simple as FCC licensing just doesn't add up to me.

A hand held radio might provide short range communications, but don't expect much. A mobile with more power will help a bit more, but you really need good antennas to make a difference. Focusing on just the wattage/power output isn't all you need to consider.

I keep a PLB in my plane next to the standard ELT but its easy for search/rescue to find a downed plane, finding a guy in the middle of the woods is much harder.

ELT's and PLB's are different. ELT's often only send out a homing signal, which can be pretty useless unless they know to be looking/listening for it. PLB's on the other hand, will send out GPS location data to the satellite, which will work in the forest unless the foliage is just way to thick.

As a group we estimated $350 a piece for decent radios, with the baofengs only being $65 and another $25 for a headset money isn't much of an issue. But it seems its not the radios but the terrain and limitations that are the issue.

The Baofengs are OK, but I'd never rely on one. I've known some people that have them, and I'm not impressed. I would not do something as risky as riding on remote trails with a $65 radio as my lifeline. Just my own personal opinion. They'd make a fine back up radio, but one solid hit from falling off while riding, and it's likely trash.
Mounting a mobile radio on a quad is going to be pretty hard, but not impossible. They work better on the UTV's. A good portable radio will work on the quads, but always carry in on the rider, not on the machine. When I crashed, me and the ATV got separated. If my radio had been on the ATV, I'd have been really stuck.

I understand what you are looking for, but a $65 radio on a random frequency you are not licensed for isn't the way to do it. Doing something risky like this takes some more respect for your tools. Use the Baofengs if that's all you've got, but consider getting properly licensed for GMRS or Amateur and get some better radios.

Just keep in mind, the radio shouldn't be the only tool in your tool box...

rapidcharger

if a standard FRS is .5 watt and the baofeng operate at 8 watts. isn't there a much better range with the higher wattage? )))

Much better, no. Not usually.

((( i understand terrain obstructions will completely block the signal, but if one party needs to reach another party, couldn't we both reach a high ground and have a much better chance of reaching eachother?)))

If you have a clear line of sight, it takes very little power. That's why you see these ridiculous claims on the FRS radio packages of 30 miles etc. From peak to peak with nothing in the way, sure half a watt can do that.

(((Either standard park maintenance services crews or park rangers. I don't believe all people working at parks are all rangers. If i see a trash guy driving in a federal park car, i'm assuming he must have a radio and could contact HQ for assistance.. Being new to all this i was hoping there might be standard frequencies standard federal park employees use, or at least some information i could try. I'm betting if i ask them, they'll say i don't know and look at their radio for a frequency.)))

I think this has been cleared up for you but if not, these are not "public frequencies" available for the use by anyone with a baofeng tech or anytone tech radio. They are licensed to a specific agency or company and the public is not authorized to use those frequencies.

I think I know now the source of this confusion....

anytoneDung2.gif_zpsh2l1a5hq.jpeg

That website you linked to for the baofeng radios is very creative at misleading customers into thinking they can do things with their radios that are in fact very illegal. There are/were some long threads about this on here so I won't rehash it all but the bottom line is there are no public frequencies that you can link up to commercial users or park rangers. The only place such agencies are listening to a "public frequency" that I am aware of is in the case of the CB channel 9, which I don't know how much they listen there anymore and marine channel 16. But that's irrelevant.

That said, there was a letter fired off recently to the FCC Amateur enforcement bureau pertaining to some rules in the Amateur radio service that would appear to exempt one from all the other rules in certain circumstances. The letter gives this very same scenario, using, I kid you not, a Baofeng, attempting to reach park rangers on their repeater. A response has not yet been received but if you are interested, there is a thread linked to here that any response received will be posted to.

At the end of the day, you do what you need to do to get saved but I wouldn't plan on that option really working. Like I said before, you need a lot of information to set that up and it may not be possible due to the differing technologies. I know the Baofeng/Anytone Tech literature will have you believe otherwise but that's all a bunch of baloney.

(((Baofeng BF-F8HP will do 1,4,8 watts. We picked up a couple of those and a cheaper BF-F8+ thats only 5 watts
https://baofengtech.com/pdf/CompareChart.pdf )))

I would take anything on that website with a grain of salt. Either way, not going to make a big difference 5 vs 8.

(((
I don't know how repeaters work yet and it might be completely nuts, but buying a couple of these baofengs, a repeater cable to connect the 2, and a couple very large antennas, all hooked up to our truck at a base camp in the middle up high on a hill, might just give us what we need.

If you don't know how repeaters work (your words), I would read up on how they work and more about basic radio theory, get that ham ticket, get the baofengs and some cables and antennas and go have a blast experimenting. But don't count on that giving you 30 miles range in the backcountry.

Another viable option not mentioned is an Air Band handheld transceiver, this would get you on the internationally recognized distress frequency of 121.5. You would stand a very good chance of putting out a distress call and actually have someone answer, most commercial aircraft monitor this frequency and any rescue aircraft coming to save you would be able to communicate with you. A handheld would run about $200, plus get a battery pack that takes regular batteries.

N8IAA

I'm going to mention a few things that have not come up in this post.
One, 8 watts on the 144-148MHz band, not on out of band frequencies. You'll eat the battery up in nothing flat. Plus, you won't be able to hold the radio.
Two, it's about 6 watts on UHF-440-450MHz ham band. Not on anything higher in frequency.
You haven't mentioned the Fed Park, but most have gone to P-25, or as mentioned, piggy back on local trunk systems.
Not knocking what you are trying to achieve, but somewhere down the road, it will be a slippery slope. And it will be hard to recover.
Larry

justinm001

I'm new to all of this but have been reading extensively. I understand the laws and requirements of the channel types and power limitations. Not really understanding how 1/2 watt vs 5 or 8 watts doesn't matter on distance, but understand my major limitation is the terrain.

We ride at Wayne National Forest in SE Ohio and all of their maps only show major roads or ATV trails. Here's a copy of the map they give us. http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5084019.pdf
The thing is they have a ton of service roads and dirt trails for oil pump maintenance and other park areas, if there was an emergency we could give someone on the other end our gps cordinates and they could help point us in the right direction, or tell us where to go that we could get to a heliport faster than spending 30-45 minutes on trails in rough terrain.

US Forest Service
Wayne National Forest

Frequency License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
164.70000 WNF Marietta Marietta unit FMN Federal
164.82500 RM 131.8 PL WNF Athens Athens unit, Ironton Ranger District FMN Federal
164.95000 WNF Marietta Marietta unit FMN Federal

Those are the only frequencies i could find online, not sure if monitored or used anymore. Next trip there, i plan on going to their HQ and asking them about what frequencies they use and if they monitor any frequencies, but i doubt they'll know.

Unfortunately most people are switching to UTV's and they're making the trail more and more dangerous for sport riders. We're about to pickup a rzr900 just to be able to haul equipment needed. Last weekend we ended up blowing the axle bearings and having to tow our suzuki 2 miles to the nearest road with the rear axle locked and dragging. Luckily i was able to find someone to drive us back to our campsite where we could get our truck and pickup the ATV. We sent our buddy back on the trails but he got lost for 2 hours by himself and caused another whole issue.

We've tested these baofengs out real quick and got about 2 miles in congested city the other day. So hopefully they're up to the task and we'll just get our licenses and be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.