New to Scanner Programing

Status
Not open for further replies.

redred

Good Morning Everyone,
I know this is a easy question for most of you but I have not done much programing in the past.
my question is when I am looking at the database FREQ 151.4 and others, it shows freq in, freq out and tone. Do I need to program all three into my scanner?

I am using a BC780XLT

Thanks for any help.
Danny

frazpo

For monitoring you really just need the out frequency. The tone can eliminate unwanted squelch opening from interference.

The input is the frequency the repeater is listening on and it is transmitting on the output which is what you want to hear.

redred

Thanks Frazpo that does help.

One thing I just noticed is that the same freq will have different tone numbers and descriptions, does that mean that the tone number will get you to a different agency?

thanks
Danny

captclint

Mentor
Thanks Frazpo that does help.

One thing I just noticed is that the same freq will have different tone numbers and descriptions, does that mean that the tone number will get you to a different agency?
That is exactly the purpose of a tone. Let's say your county PD is 155.535 PL 156.7, but you adjacent county uses 155.535 PL 151.4. If you did not want to hear the adjacent county, you would program PL 156.7 and you would only hear your couinty PD. If you DID want to hear both, you would not program ANY PL tone., or you could program 2 separate items with the same freq, but use a different PL for each. That way, you would know exactly who was talking

DJ11DLN

Also, you sometimes hear interesting things on the input frequencies...some agencies use "code 8," which usually means, "turn off the repeater output temporarily," as a sort of semi-private method of communicating. If the TX'ing unit is close enough, or you have a very good antenna, you won't miss this traffic.:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.