Breaking Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabco

Premium Subscriber
I have a GER 500. I have programed it correctly to a P25 system.
All transmissions are garbled. Every freq I pick up is broken. Tried a new antenna. Is there something in win500 I can set?

captclint

Mentor
All transmissions are garbled. Every freq I pick up is broken. Tried a new antenna. Is there something in win500 I can set?
Welcome to RR. It would help if you told us what system you programmed. I am guessing it is Ohio MARCS. I'm not from you area, but this will help others to help you. Did you do it manually, or with a download from this site?

Last edited:

Circa

Which Talk group is garbled? It might be an encrypted talk group.

Not sure if this has something to do with it, but are you are the Butler Co Simulcast tower?

At about 16 seconds into this video is what encryption sounds like:
https://youtu.be/45OJJFipMcw?t=14s

Tabco

Premium Subscriber
You are correct. I live in Butler County and set up Ohio MARCS manually just to learn the scanner. Then I downloaded everything from RR with the same results. I get a very strong signal, just everything is broken and rarely get a clean conversation.

budevans

To Circa, All Talk groups. 9170, 9173, wildcards just to name a few

The TG's you posted are listed in the RR database as being digital not encrypted. But, that could have changed. Looking at the MARCS-IP Butler Simulcast Site, it's mostly encrypted. :(

One other note, since it's a Simulcast site it wouldn't be unusual for a scanner to receive (unencrypted) traffic garbled. With 15 towers covering that area, your scanner is most likely receiving signals from several towers. Each signal will arrive at a different time, which the scanner reproduces as garble.

A simple test you can try. Lay your scanner down on it's back. Point the antenna to the north, monitor for a few minutes. Is it better (less garbled) the same or worse. Then point the scanner in another direction (slightly east, 2 oclock) and repeat the process until you've found a direction with improved reception or you've gone a full circle back to north.

If you do find a direction where you can receive clear audio or even less garble, you then might consider getting a directional antenna (Yagi). There are also some (directional) desktop TV antenna's that actually do a decent job with Simulcast systems.

Goodluck, hope you find a solution that works for you.

Circa

To Circa, All Talk groups. 9170, 9173, wildcards just to name a few
The radio reference db says they are digital but NOT encrypted.
(that doesn't mean they couldn't have switched to encrypted or someone accidently hit the encrypt button and never turned it back off)

Try asking about those talk groups in the Ohio forum.
Someone will probably be able to clear up those two in the Ohio forum.

Read something about some scanners not handling the simulcast towers well.

You could try removing the simulcast frequencies from your control channel list. Then try the non-simulacast tower in butler Co.

On a side note, I have to give you some respect for doing any programming manually on that scanner. I went straight for software.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.