New to RR

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWD81

Premium Subscriber
Hello! I just wanted to say that I am new to the forums and recently purchased my first scanner. I bought the uniden bcd396xt and was wanting to know if I made a good decision. The learning curve is very steep but after several hours of research and multiple resets to factory settings, lol, I managed to get my local FD/EMS and LEs programmed using freescan. I live in SC and also uploaded the palmetto800 for HWY patrol and surrounding counties. So far so good. I'm just scared to hit any buttons! Also, what is the range I should be picking up frequencies too? Sometimes, it seems that I might not be getting things as clearly as I should.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
The 396XT is a good scanner. As long as you do not need phase II reception you should be fine. Please list your location in your profile so knowledgable folks can assist you better. All of these scanners have steep learning curves, stick with it and experiment. The more hands on you are the more you will get out of your new scanner.

Good luck and welcome

scooter1968

GWD81, welcome to RR, i too have the UNIDEN 396 XT fortunatly my area ( Spokane, WA), has not gone phase 2 as of yet, i have had my scanner since March '15 and i love it

RFSnoop

...I am new to the forums and recently purchased my first scanner. ...I live in SC

Hello and welcome, GWD81! Like you, I am a newbie around these parts and am also from SC. Though I was an avid scanner hobbyist years ago, the new communication systems, and the scanners that monitor them, are a whole new world. In any case, in RadioReference, you have found a great resource for information and assistance.

GWD81

Premium Subscriber
Trap5858- I've updated my personal info as well as my location. Can you explain what you mean by phase II reception? Thanks for your help!

N8IAA

Trap5858- I've updated my personal info as well as my location. Can you explain what you mean by phase II reception? Thanks for your help!

The new mantra for all new members, Phase II.

If you have already looked at the database here on RR, you should be aware that Palm800 is a mixture of analog trunk and digital P-25.

Phase II is the latest flavor of digital P-25 for trunk systems.
SC has not yet even gone to Phase I. No worries about the 396XT to receive Palm800. Or, even for your conventional analog channels being used by your county.

The only thing that is on Palm800 for your county is two TGID's. I believe just for EMS.

HTH,
Larry

Oh, why don't you go over to the SC state forum and read the posts there about the Palm800 system:)

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
I have the 396xt also and use it in my SUV. It is powered by a voltage adapter with a roof mounted 16 inch stinger antenna (16 inches lets me get it into the garage). It works very good on everything except low band. I also have the remote head kit. I like it because I can pull it out of the car, stuff 3 alkaline batteries in it and carry it with me into a job site. When in the vehicle the audio from the scanner goes to a passive mixer along with other Ham equipment audio to a Motorola amplified speaker.
BB

Status
Not open for further replies.