PRO-668 Setup for VIA Transit Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamalam

Hello one and all. New to RR and feel like a complete and utter dolt! I picked up a rat shack PRO-668 because of the discounted price and the fact that it is a clone (or close to) the WS-1080. In retrospect, maybe not the brightest idea in the San Antonio world of EDACS/Provoice.

My original intent at time of purchase was to try and raise the VIA San Antonio Transit Authority's security channels. My son works a gate at VIA and I really was hoping to get that channel. PD would be an added bonus - but no biggie if that aspect didn't pan out.

The problem I have is that at best I only get sporadic chatter on the VIA security channel and even that is pretty sparse. Tried hooking up to DSDplus. No manual and I haven't found much info that has helped. At best, I've gotten snippets of communications, but I know its still pretty scarce. On the bright side, I know I'm in the general ballpark as I recognize the VIA dispatcher's voice (whom I've met) has popped up when using the DSD+ program. But I'm still far from hearing much of anything consistently.

To be completely honest, I need help. I'll take as much as I can get. I'm probably missing a lot in the DSD+ setup and I'm still not sure if the PRO-668 is set up the best way. Any pointers or instructions would be a GREAT help. Thanking all in advance.

bamalam

Hmmmm.....ok, lets start with what I have done so far. PRO-668 has VIA's Medical Center and Lions Park towers in the library (8 frequencies per site). I've carved out the talkgroups to a playlist. What I have discovered is that there are two talkgroups for VIA security: 05-081 on the analog side and 12-132 on the digital side. Not too sure as to which talkgroup (analog or digital) is used primarily so I stuck them both in the PRO-668.

Scanner already has a discriminator tap built in so I've configured the unit to send the tap feed to the earphone output which goes into the computer's microphone jack. Played around with the PC's sound settings and have the microphone input feed into the computer speakers. Fire up DSD+ and am only able to catch a couple of words in bursts - nothing that really makes much sense. I've read snippets on the software throughout various forums that mention "tuning" the software. Nothing that really explains how to do so. I know I should be getting much more than I am, any tips? Is it something I'm doing or is it the scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.