What is the best scanner for the Houston, tx area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfdillon

Folks, I have been an on again-off again scanner enthusiast; My dad was a Ham radio operator and I hadan early trunked hand held scanner back around the year 2000. I don't know if it still works; the battery pack is dead, and it connected to my computer back then with a serial cable, and I used some sort of freeware application to display the alpha characters associated with the talk groups I was listening to.
Nowadays, the computers we own don't even have a serial port.
I recently I have been listening to radio scanner pro on my android phone, and have been bitten with the scanning bug, and was wondering what a good modern scanner might be that would work with the systems in use in Harris County and the City of Houston?
If I remember correctly, the Harris County Sheriff and many agencies used a trunked 800 megahertz system, while the HPD and the Houston fire dept. used old ~460 megahertz fixed frequency systems, but I have no idea what they are using today. Have they all gone digital> At any rate, do you all have any suggestions for a flexible alphanumeric scanner that I can hook up to my PC to program? Thanks so much in advance for your help!

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I recommend one of the scanners below. The first one is computer programmable. The last 3 have the entire RR database already programmed, you just enter your zip code and go plus you can create your own favorite lists. The HomePatrol has a beautiful full color touch screen and is my personal favorite.

Click on each link to see their features:

BCD325P2

HomePatrol-2

BCD436HP

BCD536HP

There are numerous online retailers, shop around for the best price.

Harris County and Houston are digital on the Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) Project 25 System.

There is also an analog system, but as in most areas today almost everyone is switching to digital. Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) Motorola Type II SmartZone.

There is also a lot more to listen to on your county frequency page - Harris County Texas Frequency Page.

Last edited:

rfdillon

Thanks so much! I am slowly becoming more acquainted with the TXWARN Project 25 system but a relative of mine who works for the county mentioned that he heard that Harris County is also bringing up some LTE systems. Does anyone know about this, and will l I be able to listen to these systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.