Newbie in Hawaii... help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawaiiborn

Aloha from Hawaii all!

Quick back ground, have had numerous old style scanners in the past, various Radio Shack and Bearcat scanners to listen to the local emergency channels newer 800mhz, etc. Was very good with them and listened all the time! Several months ago Maui County PD in Hawaii has switched over to the Project 25 Phase II type trunking system with rendered all my old radios useless for Police Activity.

Finally pulled the plug on a new Uniden BCD436HP portable radio and got it in a couple days ago. Unfortunately I'm really starting to regret my decision on purchasing this scanner. It is super complicated and so far cannot catch any real police action. Very frustrating!

I have tried programming by zip code, location, sentinel programing from my laptop, etc. I do get some channels, airports, corrections, weather, etc. but for the life of me I cannot access any emergency services, police, fire, etc.

Have tried the directions, u-tube, etc. but am still super confused as I can't even get the channels I really want so putting them in favorites and channels, and departments and whatever is getting me no where.

Any help for an old school scanner guy in Hawaii would be greatly appreciated!

captclint

Mentor
Welcome to RR. While I am not familiar with your area, a quick check of our DB shows that Maui County Regional Interoperable P25 P2 does not have any talk groups, and is probably still in the testing phase. Likewise with Hawaii Islands Regional Interoperability Network (HIRIN)
You may get more insight by reading posts here: Hawaii Radio Discussion Forum - The RadioReference.com Forums

Not sure why zip code does not bring up the conventional frequencies that you probably monitor with you older scanner. In case you haven't been to our DB, you can see what the 436 should be downloading here http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=546 and here: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?stid=15

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.