overwhelmed choosing a brand and model

Status
Not open for further replies.

jthtcher50

I am definitely a newbie and have been trying to do my research, however, digital, analog, apco p25, phase 1 and phase 2 are literally over my comprehension level.

I live in Will County, IL....right in the middle of Peotone, Wilmington, Manteno and Manhattan.

It is a very rural area and would like to be able to listen to the Police, Fire and EMS for all 4 areas.

I would like a handheld to be able to take it with if we need to help a neighbor.

We go to NASCAR for one weekend a year and I would like to be able to use it there also. Joliet, IL, Route 66, Chicagoland Speedway.

I don't want to spend a ton of money, but I don't want they radio to be outdated in a year.

Suggestions on brands and models would be greatly appreciated along with if I would need to upgrade the antenna!!!

N8IAA

From what I read in the RR database, you will need a scanner that does P-25 Phase I. This will allow you to hear your county when they transition from the EDACS system.
The new scanner will allow you to hear the EDACS system and analog frequencies that are still used in your area.
My suggestion is that you go to the Illinois state forum and seek help from those in your immediate area. You might just get the correct info!
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.