newbie scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trellaine201

I haven't visited the forum for quite awhile due to be busy but I am now re thinking of purchasing my first scanner. Beginner for sure.

I think the Uniden BCD325P2 has been recommended? Is that a good scanner for a beginner and would I need it programmed?

And secondly will I get anything interesting here in Vancouver, BC? Not sure if there is a local forum in here for Canada?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
There are forums for Canada. They are after the state forums.

The channels and trunked systems for Vancouver can be found here: Greater Vancouver County, British Columbia (BC) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

I'm not too familiar with the BCD325P2, but the BCD436HP is fairly easy for beginners. Just enter your zip code and the scanner will load all the channels for your area. The channels come from Radioreference.com. Just connect the scanner to a computer and update the database which is pulled from RR.com each week.

I hope this helps!

IcomIcR20

N9JIG

Sheriff
The 325P2 requires user programming, if you are able to read and follow instructions it is a pretty good little scanner.

The 436HP, for about $30 (US) more provides everything the 325 does plus adds ZIP Code (or Postal Code for Canada) programming and better battery life along with better filters. It also has the advantage of being able to location-scan anywhere in the USA or Canada just by updating the location.

I have both and like them both but I normally recommend the 436 to newbies.

VE7CFF

In Vancouver we have the WARS system for EComm. It is an EDACS system. You won't be able to listen to police as they are PROVOICE encrypted, but the various fire departments. There are plenty of other frequencies such as YVR airport as well as local airports like Boundary Bay ZBB, BC Higways, I've programmed my BC346XT with FreeScan. Good Luck

Trellaine201

Local police

Ok thanks for the local response :) good to know police is provoice encrypted . Maybe not the right thread but why do some areas use provoice? While others u can listen freely to local police ? Sorry I don't know the name of the system.

Thank u

N9JIG

Sheriff
ProVoice does not mean encrypted, it is just a digital mode used by some users. There are encrypted ProVoice systems but just because it is ProVoice doesn't mean it is encrypted.

Status
Not open for further replies.