Need help programming a PRO-96 for Indiana, Marion county, Project 25 Public Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snyder4Camping

Premium Subscriber
I had a scanner years ago before this "Trunking stuff". Now I am getting back into it and feeling totally lost. I have a PRO-96 scanner, a Radio Reference membership, and the ARC96 programming software. I am trying to get Indiana, Marion county, Public safety Project 25, IMPD. I can import the information from Radio Reference and upload it to my scanner, but I hear nothing. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or if my scanner is just to old for the new stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Snyder4Camping

Premium Subscriber
Can someone at least tell me some place I can go to find the information. I am not having any luck putting any trunking system on it.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Pro96 Indiana

The Pro 96 only needs the Control channels from Radio Ref database *red and alternate frequencies *blue programmed for such a digital trunked system. No need to punch in all 20 freqs or so. It's best to NOT have two different sites in one BANK on the scanner. From the link provided it seems it's a P25 Phase 1. The Pro96 should be able to get it unless you're too far away from a control channel. As they said...THIS is a 12 year old scanner and the newer scanners might be worth looking into, especially one with Phase 2 capabilities. It's why I still have my Pro96 but got the WS1080 as things are changing fast. As Pro96 talk-groups show up...pressing TRUNK button stores them instead of you having to manually put them in from the database.
The Pro96 manual is still online.

http://support.radioshack.com/support_electronics/doc71/71778.pdf

Snyder4Camping

Premium Subscriber
I appreciate the information. I will give that a try and see what happens. Don't go to far. I'm sure there will be something else I don't understand. I looked up the pro-668. I wasn't aware that you could buy a new scanner that inexpensive. I was looking at the Uniden Home Patrol 2 but found it to be a little salty. The Pro-96 was given to me by a family member after something changed with the frequencies in there are and they were unable to get it to work. This is a hobbie I'm interested in. I just don't know how interested I can afford to be. The scanner I had years ago was a Uniden BC-175. Thing have certainly changed.

BaLa

That scanner can only track 32 control channels per bank. It would work better with a PRO197 PRO106 PRO651 PRO652 or better a PRO668

Where do you get that at?..
I have several Statewide TRSs programmed in my Pro96.
At 49 Frequencies/per bank each one is a control or alt.
Never given me any problems.

Also the Indianapolis P25 TRS Doesn't have that many Control/Alt CCs anyway.
Each system should probably be in its own Bank.

For that system a new scanner is not needed.
Not sure why it's being recommended.
Yes it's old but as long as there is nothing wrong with it...
Have you tried manually entering the control channel(s)?

I don't know jack about the ARC software. But this system can be programmed manually in like 5 minutes excluding talk group labels.

Last edited:

Snyder4Camping

Premium Subscriber
I'm only about 6 miles from the control channel. I tried only entering the control(red) and the alternate(blue) channels. With the squelch at zero, nothing came through strong enough to break squelch. I have not yet tried to manually enter the channels. When I got the radio the firmware version was the original 1.2. I did update it to 1.4. I'm also wonder if I should try resetting the radio to the factory default and start over fresh. I am unable to pick up any trunking system. At this point I am very hesitant to buy a different scanner without first seeing it work in my area. I can't find anyone locally that deals with them.

Snyder4Camping

Premium Subscriber
I'm assuming cc is control channel. If I take it off scan and manually select the control channel, I can hear a little bit of something, but nothing recognizable.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Marion Co IN P25

Pressing TRUNK button while stopped on manual in the same bank you have your system set up in* TAKES you to the TRUNK area where talk-groups are listed. Does it say "Not Trunked! or ED?" YOU have to be sure that it's MOT for Motorola set in there. Same with the frequencies you have in the Bank#. To hear it correctly, ALL freqs punched in should be set to MOT toggling the "mode" button. Anything like EDACS or not trunked will throw it off. ARC96 is better/easier than WIN96 by far in my opinion. I used both over the last few years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snyder4Camping

Premium Subscriber
All of the channels are set to MOT. I initialized the radio and loaded a bin file that BaLa sent me. Many thanks to BaLa for the time and help. It just scans the channel without stopping.

Snyder4Camping

Premium Subscriber
I think the scanner may have a problem. Does anyone know of someone with a operating scanner in Indiana. I would be temped to buy another one if I new of someone else that had a working scanner on Indiana's public safety system. I may have one for sale or trade. ;) Any thoughts on a good yet inexpensive scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.