Greetings from down under, Sydney Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

robocock8191

Hi everybody,

I am what you may classify as a born again newbie!

About 15-20 years ago I bought myself an analog Uniden bearcat scanner and I loved the heck out of this thing. Twice a week me and my mate would head out to the coast to do some fishing, while we drank beers and listened to the police scanner. Sometimes what we heard was funny, other times exciting or scary. It really was a great way to pass hours while fishing.

Unfortunately that all ended when the NSW police switched to digital encrypted radios. :(

Anyways, I just ordered myself a Baofeng GT-3 tp (looking for something cheap to start off with) and am looking forward to getting it.
I am just wondering to myself, what else is there to scan in NSW these days that I'll be able to pick up on this radio.

Since I no longer have a scanner I'm assuming I'll need to punch in my frequencies manually?

Cheers
RBC

robocock8191

Oh, I have the opportunity to buy a Radio Shack 2096 for $160AUD.

Should I grab it? Analog and Digital, P25, trunk tracking.

Or should I stick with the Baofeng? Or hold out for something else?

Last edited:

N8IAA

Oh, I have the opportunity to buy a Radio Shack 2096 for $160AUD.

Should I grab it? Analog and Digital, P25, trunk tracking.

Or should I stick with the Baofeng? Or hold out for something else?

Go to the RR database, find Australia on the right hand box, and click on it. Or, go ask your question in the Australian country forum, further down the fourms page:)
Larry

teufler

Telstra Fleetcoms (NSW) UHF Network MPT-1327 Standard
Vertel NSW VHF Network MPT-1327 Standard
NSW Government Radio Network (P25) Project 25 Phase I
Telstra Fleetcoms (NSW) VHF Network MPT-1327 Standard
Vertel Team Talk NXDN NXDN NEXEDGE
Orion Network DMR Motorola Connect Plus (TRBO)
Motorola Zeon Digital TETRA Standard
looks like get the scanner is you can. The Tetra and NEXEDGE can not be scanner nor listened to on a Baofeng. As always , check you local laws, for ability to listen, There has been prior discujssions on the law being upset that we hear them "go to tea".

robocock8191

Thanks for the reply guys.
Am looking forward to listening to the GRN.
Anyways, I didn't grab the RS Pro-2096, I got a bad feeling from the seller, wouldn't answer my emails.
Luckily I found a RS Pro-96 for only $30 more and it is complete with manual, usb cable and everything, unlike the 2096.

Now I am worried I will have alot of trouble trying to program frequencies, especially with trunk tracking.

I have heard there is software i can use with the RS Pro96 to program the freqs. If anyone knows what this software is called or where i can get a copy, it would be super helpful. :)

Cheers
RBC

robocock8191

Thanks Tes! Exactly what I was looking for.
I have no problem paying for software, but I do think $20 is a steep price to ask, especially for something that hasn't been update in 5 years.

Any freeware apps that can be used?
$20 for win96, plus $30 donation to RR, seems like alot to pay for the ease of programming a radio.

If not I guess I will have to bite the bullet and just go with Win96.

My friend tells me there is another one called Ark96 but i can't find it :(

robocock8191

Oh, I forgot to ask in that last post, if these or any other software will work on mac?

Sorry for the double post. I would have edited and updated, but cos I'm new my last post is in pending awaiting mod approval.

Cheers
Robo

robocock8191

Okay so I recieved in the GT-3tp transceiver in the post yesterday and had a little play with it.

It seems that the s asiest way to program is to set to frequency mode, and punch the numbers of the freq in. I have tried it a couple of times with a few different freq's but am yet to hear anything. The best use i've gotten from this handset is listening to music.

I live in south west NSW, next to Liverpool.
If anyone has any tips for me, tat would be great.

On another note, I should recieve my Radio Shack Pro96 on Monday or Tuesday. Looking forward to trying it out! Can't wait :)

robocock8191

Man I had some drama's with this Baofeng GT-3tp.

I could not install the bloody USB driver in windows 8! I tried many different versions, as soon as I run the setup file, the program would crash and bring up the compatibility troubleshooter.

Anyways, at 5am this morning I finally got it working. I had to install it on a Virtual Machine of winxp.
And today I programmed the CB frequencies and looking for other things to put in.

Looking forward to getting the RS Pro-96, should be delivered tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.