Digital Scanners/Scanning for Dummies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vannossc

Premium Subscriber
I'm reasonably familiar with analog scanners and HAM radio operation but never got involved in the digital side of scanners. Is there a "Dummies" like resource for digital scanning? I'm just about to have a Uniden BCD436HP show up and become scanner #1 AS much of my area is moving to digital (Capital District, NY).

I read the forums but thats running at 100mph already with who's doing this, that, control channels, P25, etc.

Any help as always...

Scott

DickH

I'm reasonably familiar with analog scanners and HAM radio operation but never got involved in the digital side of scanners. Is there a "Dummies" like resource for digital scanning? ...

Digital scanning is exactly like analog scanning except for the system type - usually P25 AUTO will work. It's similar to AM and FM radio. You tune and listen exactly the same.

QDP2012

You might have already seen these Wiki articles, but if you go to the RR Wiki Main page, and look in the upper-right area of the page, you should see a blue-shaded box with a list of links for "Newcomers". Even though you are not a newcomer, the information there can be a good review. There are links to Wiki articles about Trunking, links to the glossaries categories (the "RR Glossary" is comprehensive; the "Trunktracking Glossary" and others are more-specific), etc.

In addition to those links on the RR Wiki Main page, you might also find the following useful reading:

The above links are only starting points. There is much to learn about trunking, etc. in general; and much to learn about the 436/536 family of scanners. As you bump into issues, be sure to post your questions in the forums. There are many people who are skilled with the 436/536 scanners who can help.

Hope this helps get you started,

Status
Not open for further replies.