Which radios can program UHF with CC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

singh123

Hi,

I am very new to ham operations.

Currently, I only scan and am working on getting my license.

I want to scan a certain frequency but my current VHF/UHF is only getting static because (I am presuming now) the frequency is using a squelch tone that is not supported by my current handheld.

The frequency is 452.36250 and they also have their CC tone on radioreference.

I am currently using a Baofeng UV-B6 and planning on buying a cheap DMR off eBay, TYT MD-380 UHF or Revetis RT3 UHF.

My question is, will either of those radios be able to listen in on that frequency with a CC?

Some newbie questions, I see DMRs have alot more features and functions, can my handheld be blocked from the frequency? Like if the control person notices an "unauthorized" unit on their frequency, can they stop me from listening in?

I don't want to waste USD $120-$200 on a new unit where as I already have the UV-B6, so anything else I should know before buying ?

N8IAA

Hi,

I want to scan a certain frequency but my current VHF/UHF is only getting static because (I am presuming now) the frequency is using a squelch tone that is not supported by my current handheld.

I am currently using a Baofeng UV-B6 and planning on buying a cheap DMR off eBay, TYT MD-380 UHF or Revetis RT3 UHF.

My question is, will either of those radios be able to listen in on that frequency with a CC?

Some newbie questions, I see DMRs have alot more features and functions, can my handheld be blocked from the frequency? Like if the control person notices an "unauthorized" unit on their frequency, can they stop me from listening in?

I don't want to waste USD $120-$200 on a new unit where as I already have the UV-B6, so anything else I should know before buying ?

Welcome. First, are you in the US? If not. let us know where you are located.
Second, the DMR radios you have mentioned are for ham radio use and for convventional DMR. They do not support trunk systems. So, if you put the CC in, all you will hear is a data stream. You won't be discovered by the system, since your radio is not affiliating with the system.
Hope this gives you some insight.
Larry

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Second, the DMR radios you have mentioned are for ham radio use and for convventional DMR. They do not support trunk systems. So, if you put the CC in, all you will hear is a data stream. You won't be discovered by the system, since your radio is not affiliating with the system.

He may have meant CC as in Color Code, not control channel.

OP, can you give us the radio reference database link to what you want to hear?

If it is color code, that means it is DMR digital. You MAY be able to listen to it, but there are additional factors that need to be considered so we need more detail.

N8IAA

He may have meant CC as in Color Code, not control channel.

OP, can you give us the radio reference database link to what you want to hear?

If it is color code, that means it is DMR digital. You MAY be able to listen to it, but there are additional factors that need to be considered so we need more detail.

After a little research here on RR, it appears that he is located in India.
Yeah, didn't think of color code.
So, hopefully, he will post what he is trying to monitor.
Larry

singh123

Hope this gives you some insight.
Larry

Hi,

I am located in Toronto, Canada.

I am trying to scan and just want to listen to a security channel.

Their frequency is in the UHF range with a colour code of 4.

The security team uses traditional looking Motorola handhelds, if that helps

This is what is listed on RR:
452.36250 VEQ710 RM 4 CC YU Security Keele Campus Security Group 10002 DMR Security

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=3940

jeremyzone

Hi,

This frequency is listed as a conventional DMR frequency. What does this mean? It means that it is digital voice and your Baofeng cannot be used to listen to it. The Baofeng does not support any modes of digital voice. So you can stop messing around with the Baofeng to listen in as you will never hear more than "static".

It sounds like you are a little confused about the use of "CC" in this particular database entry. Most of the time, CC stands for control channel on trunked radio systems. However, this is a DMR conventional frequency and "CC" stands for "Color Code". The function is similar to subaudible tones on analog transmissions.

I have not played with DMR enough to know about the feasibility of monitoring this frequency with one of the radios you mentioned.

singh123

This frequency is listed as a conventional DMR frequency. What does this mean? It means that it is digital voice and your Baofeng cannot be used to listen to it. The Baofeng does not support any modes of digital voice. So you can stop messing around with the Baofeng to listen in as you will never hear more than "static".

It sounds like you are a little confused about the use of "CC" in this particular database entry. Most of the time, CC stands for control channel on trunked radio systems. However, this is a DMR conventional frequency and "CC" stands for "Color Code". The function is similar to subaudible tones on analog transmissions.

I have not played with DMR enough to know about the feasibility of monitoring this frequency with one of the radios you mentioned.

Just to clarify, I am NOT trying to use my Baofeng with this frequency. I did try around a year ago and quickly figured out why I was only getting static.

I am wanting to buy one of the handhelds I mentioned earlier and my question was whether either will be able to listen in to the frequency.

I even messaged one of the eBay seller and he said the radio does have the ability to handle colour codes from 0 - 15.

In fact, I did not know CC is often used to refer to control channel. When I hovered over the radioreference entry, it gave me a little guide as to what DCS, CC, PL, etc are abbreviations for. After a bit of googling, I learned that CC (colour code) is what Motorola calls their tone. Which makes sense as the security has motorola handhelds.

Thanks for your input though :)

Last edited:

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
OK.. You want to monitor a MotoTRBO (AKA DMR) channel.

All DMR radios allow you to program color codes, slots, groups etc.. Radios like the TYT MD-380 can be programmed with these parameters and can monitor DMR channels.. I have a CS-750 that I use to listen to local commercial TRBO stuff.

But. If the channel is encrypted, then you're out of luck. You won't be able to monitor it.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
An md380 will be fine for monitoring pending it's not encrypted. The only thing the info you gave
"This is what is listed on RR:
452.36250 VEQ710 RM 4 CC YU Security Keele Campus Security Group 10002 DMR Security )"
Is missing is the timeslot. However it's either going to be timeslot 1 or 2 so that will be easy to figure out. Just program 452.3625 and use color code 4 with talkgroup 10002 and program one channel for timeslot 1 and then duplicate it but change the other channel to timeslot 2. You should hear traffic on one of them.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Monitoring DMR

lso be aware that just the color code is not enough to monitor a DMR frequency. You also need the time slot and the talkgroup code. Using a dongle with a scanner that has a discriminator tap can give you the information you need to program the radio.

singh123

OK.. You want to monitor a MotoTRBO (AKA DMR) channel.

All DMR radios allow you to program color codes, slots, groups etc.. Radios like the TYT MD-380 can be programmed with these parameters and can monitor DMR channels.. I have a CS-750 that I use to listen to local commercial TRBO stuff.

But. If the channel is encrypted, then you're out of luck. You won't be able to monitor it.

Silly question, but any way to figure out if the channel is encrypted other than actually buying a DMR radio and testing?

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Silly question, but any way to figure out if the channel is encrypted other than actually buying a DMR radio and testing?

It's not silly :)

But, no. The only way to tell for sure is to confirm it with another scanner enthusiast. Someone on this forum could know this.

You might want to ask whether or not Keele Campus Security channel is encrypted on the Radio Reference Ontario forum. Ontario - The RadioReference.com Forums

Incidentally.. I'm pretty sure the TYT has the same monitor function as the Connect systems CS750. With monitor on, all you need to do is be on the right time slot. When someone transmits, you'll see the color code and talk group being used pop up on the display.

singh123

But, no. The only way to tell for sure is to confirm it with another scanner enthusiast. Someone on this forum could know this.

You might want to ask whether or not Keele Campus Security channel is encrypted on the Radio Reference Ontario forum. Ontario - The RadioReference.com Forums

Incidentally.. I'm pretty sure the TYT has the same monitor function as the Connect systems CS750. With monitor on, all you need to do is be on the right time slot. When someone transmits, you'll see the color code and talk group being used pop up on the display.

Thank you very much kind stranger :)

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber

The tyt only has the monitor function if you flash custom firmware into it. Out of the box the connect system radios are the only one with monitor. However, it's only a 2 minute job flashing the firmware and it's free.

singh123

The tyt only has the monitor function if you flash custom firmware into it. Out of the box the connect system radios are the only one with monitor. However, it's only a 2 minute job flashing the firmware and it's free.

Gee, there is so much involved with a digital radio.

So fun, I love this type of stuff.

Looks like i have a bit of research to do after work.

Quick question, MD-380 or RT3?

Status
Not open for further replies.