batteries and charging

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just got my radioshack pro-651 and cant figure out how to enable charging to my batteries anyone knonoww how to do this let me know it says disabled

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
PAGE 10 of your manual: Are you using the yellow battery holder?

BatteriesTwo battery holders are included with your PRO-651, a black battery holder for non-rechargeablealkaline batteries and a yellow battery holder forrechargeable NiMH or NiCAD batteries.1. Slide open the battery compartment cover.RechargeableBattery Holder2. Place 4 AA batteries into the correct batteryholder matching polarity symbols (+ / –):• Black – Alkaline (non-rechargeable)• Yellow – Rechargeable Ni-MH or Ni-Cd3. Place the battery holder into the batterycompartment.The battery holder fits only oneway. Do not force it.4. Replace the cover.Warning: Never install non-rechargeable batteriesin the yellow rechargeable battery holder. Non-rechargeable batteries can get hot or explode if youtry to recharge them

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I have just got my radioshack pro-651 and cant figure out how to enable charging to my batteries anyone knonoww how to do this let me know it says disabled

Most people will suggest not charging the batteries inside the radio. You are more likely to have a battery cause damage to the radio.

If you still want to charge them in the radio, then the directions given will work.

Sent via Tapatalk

DJ11DLN

Here's another vote for external charging. You get a better charge (longer run time) and the batteries seem to last longer as well (before needing replaced). And you may get away with charging internally for years...but all it takes is one time for a shorted/defective cell to overheat and come apart (or worse), and your expensive radio is a doorstop.

Blackswan73

Charging your batteries in the scanner will not work unless you leave it turned off for about a week. The charge current in the 651 is limited to 14ma. This is to comply with California law. At a 14ma charge rate, it will take approximately a week to charge 2300 mah batteries.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
I agree with charging outside of the radio (any radio, scanner or otherwise). Aside from possible internal damage (which happened to me once a long time ago) when you use an external charger, the best way to go is to have at least another set of rechargeable batteries. That way you will always have charged batteries in the scanner and another set being charged, so you will never be left high and dry, so to speak. I have the Sanyo high capacity Eneloop rechargeable AAs and I use three sets. One in the radio, another set charging and a fully charged set in a small AA box ready to place in the scanner. I also recommend that you always have a few sets of alkaline batteries on hand in case you are out somewhere and you don't have the rechargeables around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.