Uniden BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michelle0H

Hi. I'm looking for a new scanner and hope that the BCD436HP will be one that will do all?

I currently own a Pro-97 and a Pro-93, but these aren't much use in my area that has gone mostly digital. Greene County, Ohio (OH) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference and Montgomery County, Ohio (OH) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

I would like to be able to listen to Rail, which I assume I can use the Pro-97 for just fine, but would I need to if the Uniden is just as capable? (No tracks in my area, but when traveling.) Would also appreciate a good tuned antenna recommendation for rail frequencies. And, while I'm at it, is there a programming cable that I can use that will connect with a Winbook? (Apple user with Starrsoft saved to flash drive.)

What are the chances that the Uniden will be out of date before long? I would like something I will be able to use for several years.

So, aside from Xenia PD which is encrypted, would this scanner be fairly easy to use and receive what's in my 'hood?

Voyager

Rail is moving to NXDN which no scanner currently can decode.

If Springfield is of interest, the x36 series are the only ones that support that system.

N8IAA

Hi. I'm looking for a new scanner and hope that the BCD436HP will be one that will do all?

I currently own a Pro-97 and a Pro-93, but these aren't much use in my area that has gone mostly digital. Greene County, Ohio (OH) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference and Montgomery County, Ohio (OH) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

I would like to be able to listen to Rail, which I assume I can use the Pro-97 for just fine, but would I need to if the Uniden is just as capable? (No tracks in my area, but when traveling.) Would also appreciate a good tuned antenna recommendation for rail frequencies. And, while I'm at it, is there a programming cable that I can use that will connect with a Winbook? (Apple user with Starrsoft saved to flash drive.)

What are the chances that the Uniden will be out of date before long? I would like something I will be able to use for several years.

So, aside from Xenia PD which is encrypted, would this scanner be fairly easy to use and receive what's in my 'hood?
Michelle, since you are familiar with Starrsoft, I recommend either the RS Pro-651 or the Whistler model WS-1040. No need to overpay for a scanner to work on the Ohio MARC system. They have just moved to it and they are still building out the system.
Railroad will work for years on their analog frequencies they now use. Norfolk Southern and CXS use the same road and dispatch channels most everywhere in the country. NXDN is only being used in the train yards.
Oh, the Starrsoft for the models I mentioned is Win500.
HTH,
Larry

Michelle0H

Thanks, Larry. I won't be able to listen to rail often since there's nothing near my home, but I may do a cross country Amtrak trip in the next year and would really be interested in that.

I will read up on the scanners you mentioned...and I wouldn't say I'm familiar with the software. I recall there being quite a learning curve to get the scanner all set-up, but familiar enough that I know where to find it and what lies ahead. ;) That was one reason I was thinking of the Uniden...enter zip code, save as a favorite list, done. At least that's how it seems to be, I could have that all wrong.

N8IAA

Thanks, Larry. I won't be able to listen to rail often since there's nothing near my home, but I may do a cross country Amtrak trip in the next year and would really be interested in that.

I will read up on the scanners you mentioned...and I wouldn't say I'm familiar with the software. I recall there being quite a learning curve to get the scanner all set-up, but familiar enough that I know where to find it and what lies ahead. ;) That was one reason I was thinking of the Uniden...enter zip code, save as a favorite list, done. At least that's how it seems to be, I could have that all wrong.

The problem with downloading your zip code, is that everything that is in listening range, (you do have to set how many miles), might be too much to hear. I do have a HP-1, and thankfully, I knew what I needed to do to make my many favorites lists. You will find the RS and Whistler models a little more friendly with programming. I say this from experience.
Not an easy decision. Trust me:)
Larry

Nasby

You will really enjoy taking a scanner along for an ride on Amtrak. When the train stops, you'll know why.
You'll often hear interesting conversations amongst the crew members covering topics from unruly passengers to lost luggage. Plus, you'll know where you're at by listening to the various trackside detectors. Enjoy!!

N8IAA

Note that neither of those will work with Springfield.

Springfield isn't in the two counties she linked. You seem to be the only one interested.
Plus, to hear Springfield, she not only has to purchase the 436, but also purchase the firmware update to monitor.
Larry

Voyager

Springfield isn't in the two counties she linked. You seem to be the only one interested.
Plus, to hear Springfield, she not only has to purchase the 436, but also purchase the firmware update to monitor.
Larry

True, but it's immediately adjacent, and may be of interest. That's why I asked. But, if you know they never want to hear that, OK.

So, thanks for the update that they only want to listen to those two counties. Should make it much easier since NXDN might not be used for rail in those two counties.

Michelle0H

Thanks for all the info, guys...feel free to keep it coming! I would probably listen to Springfield now and then if I go with the Uniden...lots seems to be happening there lately. ;)

Provoice? I have more reading to do...

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Provoice is another type of digital modulation for radio communications. Until uniden released the upgrade for the bcd436 and 536hp's, there was not a scanner that could decode provoice. They charge I think 50.00 for that feature.

Here is something on provoice EDACS Provoice - The RadioReference Wiki

There are 76 documented Provoice systems in the country. 12 are in Texas alone. Ohio has 3, City of Springfield, Parma, and Pickaway County

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.