• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng UV-6R Won't transmit

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoenixBennu

Premium Subscriber
I am a Deputy in Kentucky, and I use plenty of radios. Mostly we stick to Kenwood or ICOM. The problem is that they are shared radios, signed in and out during a shift. Which means that they get damaged and the next person is stuck with a bad clip, or broken knob, or what have you.

Some of us are lucky enough to be issues a permanent radio, but it is really on availability. I am not so lucky.

So, I went and bought a Baofeng UV-6R.

I am able to get it to receive, and for a brief moment it seemed to transmit, but on a channel that our repeater doesnt use, and only to our repeater. So, I waited to verify frequencies with out IT guy. I also did a reset on the device.
Now, it will light up like it is transmitting, but it I cannot get any reception, not even that static of before, to receive on other devices or the repeater.

No DTMF tones, No voice, nothing. It doesnt even register that a signal is coming into the other devices. So, its not an audio or mic issue.

I can receive everything just fine. I can monitor the repeater and other radios. Just cannot communicate with them.

Any suggestions before this radio goes back?

As a side note, I know its a cheap radio. I only need about 1/2 mile range. I planned on buying a better antennae, but I want to get the device to work at all first.

PhoenixBennu

Premium Subscriber
Well, I took a shot in the dark and tried tuning into an FRS radio I have., TO my surprise, the two radios were able to communicate just fine, pretty clear.

However, the FRS is UHF and my department is VHF. I am wondering if that would make a difference.

We are operating 159.47250 for the repeater and 159.47000 for the handhelds. I was told the ctcss was 100.00hz, and I have confirmed that, at least on R-CTCS this is correct, but manually going through them and scanning them.

Using the Kenwood 2132 I can hear everything that comes from that radio. I can even hear, intermittently, my work's repeater about 2 miles away.

However, when I transmit, only my unit lights up showing its transmitting, and otherwise none of the work radios or repeaters will register receiving a signal, so I doubt its just a CTCSS issue if they are not even registering an incoming signal.

Since the FRS radio worked, I am wondering if there is a call frequency to use or some other setting.

drayd48

Well, I took a shot in the dark and tried tuning into an FRS radio I have., TO my surprise, the two radios were able to communicate just fine, pretty clear.

However, the FRS is UHF and my department is VHF. I am wondering if that would make a difference.

We are operating 159.47250 for the repeater and 159.47000 for the handhelds. I was told the ctcss was 100.00hz, and I have confirmed that, at least on R-CTCS this is correct, but manually going through them and scanning them.

Using the Kenwood 2132 I can hear everything that comes from that radio. I can even hear, intermittently, my work's repeater about 2 miles away.

However, when I transmit, only my unit lights up showing its transmitting, and otherwise none of the work radios or repeaters will register receiving a signal, so I doubt its just a CTCSS issue if they are not even registering an incoming signal.

Since the FRS radio worked, I am wondering if there is a call frequency to use or some other setting.

What county and state are you in? Do you have the correct input frequency in with the correct CTCSS tone? I could not find any exact matches for this in the RR database.

You need to double check your frequencies, for repeater operation requires two frequencies with more separation than you listed. Generally Part 90 repeater authorizations use a 3-5 MHz offset between repeater output and the repeater input frequencies. A FCC issued call sign for the repeater would be a great help. Also be aware that all current FCC operations on Part 90 frequencies utilize narrow-band techniques.

DickH

...Any suggestions before this radio goes back? ...

The only Baofeng/Pofung radio that can legally transmit on your freqs. is the UV-82C (the C denotes FCC part 90 approval). But you had better be sure your Comm. Officer (or equivalent) will allow you to use it on your freqs.

n4yek

I have confirmed that, at least on R-CTCS this is correct
I am guessing that this is 'Receive - CTCSS'
You probably need a 'Transmit_CTCSS' also which was told to you as being 100.0
Just a thought...

Also the frequencies you gave are not listed in the FCC database. Are you sure those are correct?
You location would help us a bunch in helping you.

K4EET

Chaplain
The comments above about the frequency offset, your radio's non-FCC Part 90 Type Acceptance and the question of your Communications Officer's approval to use a non-issued radio are all valid concerns. As a Police Communications Systems Manager (retired) myself, I would also have liability concerns about using a Baofeng radio. Also, do your Department-issued radios have a panic alert button? Even if you are carrying a Department-issued radio, what if you reach for the wrong radio to push the orange button? I personally think it's a bad idea all around. Your life should not be dependent on a cheap Baofeng radio which are known to produce harmonics in excess of FCC specifications among other things. Please seriously consider the hazards of what you are possibly subjecting yourself to.

As a final thought, what make and model are your Department-issued radios? In our police department, we had a maintenance technician from the contracted radio shop at Police HQ every Thursday to repair radios. Any other day, officers would bring their radios in to Communications to be swapped out for a good radio and the problematic radio would be sent to the radio shop on Thursdays. Perhaps your Department is small and simply does not have the assets to run a good maintenance program.

My best to you. Be careful. Be safe out there... Dave K4EET

Edit #1: An idea... In my desk, I had a small arsenal of radio parts (antennas, knobs, batteries, etc.) and would personally fix any radio that I could for an officer right on the spot. Perhaps put in a suggestion for your Communications Officer to do the same so that the knobs could be fixed before you go out on patrol. Just an idea that might be accepted...

Edit #2: Another idea... Knobs, antennas and belt clips are relatively inexpensive. See how much it would cost at your local radio shop to pick up a few of each. At the start of your shift, replace any knob(s), belt clip and/or antenna on your HT-of-the-day. At the end of your shift, simply reinstall the defective parts and keep your self-bought parts. Other Deputies might do the same and before long, perhaps the Department would purchase a stockpile of parts including cases, speaker-microphones, etc. so that you all would have good operational equipment. And keep in mind, any parts you purchase for work will be tax deductible along with your other personal expenses.

Edit #3: Yet another idea... Come to think of it, having "defective" radios which are your lifeline back to Dispatch is a major concern and liability on the Department's behalf. Could your FOP President draft a letter of concern explaining these points in this post and perhaps initiate some procedural changes? Trying to help you in any way I can...

Last edited:

K4EET

Chaplain
I just did a search for your radio system in Arizona (based on your username) and found no systems:

Search Results for (159.4625 => 159.4825) in (Arizona) with Tone: 100.0 PL

No exact match for 159.47250 in the RadioReference Database for Arizona, instead searching a 20 KHz spread.

No identified information found in the database for: 159.47250

Are you sure that you have the correct information to begin with?

73 (best wishes in ham radio lingo), Dave K4EET

Edit: I did a nationwide search and eliminated details because of copyright issues. Your exact frequency does not show up in the database. However, notice the frequency pairing. That is why one of the posters questioned your frequency pair.

Search Results for (159.4625 => 159.4825) in (the Entire Database) with Tone: 100.0 PL

No exact match for 159.47250 in the RadioReference Database for the Entire Database, instead searching a 20 KHz spread.

Freq Out --- Freq In ----- Tone
154.99500 159.46500 100.0 PL
154.99500 159.46500 100.0 PL
156.09000 159.46500 100.0 PL
159.46500 151.20500 100.0 PL
159.46500 153.84500 100.0 PL
159.46500 151.19000 100.0 PL

Last edited:

Nasby

I just did a search for your radio system in Arizona (based on your username) and found no systems:

In his original post he says he's a deputy in Kentucky, not Arizona.

Nice job trying to help him. Your advice is very sound.

K4EET

Chaplain
<snip> In his original post he says he's a deputy in Kentucky, not Arizona.

Nice job trying to help him. Your advice is very sound.

LOL, the sixth word in the OP's post was KY... I was focused on their username. My bad... But; thanks for the compliment. I can totally relate to what they are faced with.

73, Dave K4EET

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I did the exact same thing K4EET haha. I just looked at the username and assumed.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I searched the FCC ULS database for Kentucky. 159.4700 is not licensed at all in the state. 159.4725 is licensed to the Commonwealth of Kentucky State Police on 20 different licenses and on one license to the City of Ashland. However, as already noted, no mention of 159.4725 anywhere in the RR database.

Rred

Bennu-
With EVERY programmable radio, ham, Part90, or otherwise, there are always issues with initial setup because settings like "tone" go by multiple names and the chances are, what your radio offers, what your software offers, and what your system requires, are using three different names for some of the same settings. Making it way to easy to simply have one set wrong, with exactly the results you have.

I hope your com person is familiar with programming software, the BF software and CHIRP use different terms (of course!) and the BF software can sometimes be problematic, like locking up a computer. He/she probably needs 1/2 hour of undisturbed time to try different tone settings until they get a set that match your official radios and work, as tested with other radios before you get up to leave.

Do remove the FRS setting, it isn't legal on that radio. As to the other question of what is or isn't legal on that radio...good luck with that tar baby.

PhoenixBennu

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for the delay in responding to everyone here. I just got done with a 74 hour week. Finally have a couple days off.

Just want to answer some questions and concerns:

-Our IT/Maintenance Supervisor who handles all the radios and other equipment has approved the use of a personal radio. We have some ICOM (unsure of the model) and various Kenwood models, like the tk2312.
I originally used the frequency listings here on radioreference.com and They did not work. I even found a radio frequncy around 153.xxxxx that worked for the handhelds only, and he said it shouldnt have. After checking with him, he gave me the two frequencies, and the R-CTCSS and T-CTCSS, which he stated are the same.
I have confirmed the frequencies by using the radios and the control room repeater and scanning through CTCSS codes manually on the baofeng.

I can hear all radios, from our repeater to our handheld units. The only problem is transmitting. I know the other handheld units are transmitting on a certain CTCSS and I am using that in my radio. As far as other settings he is actually unsure of some of the other settings.

I brought home (with permission) one of the Kenwood tk2312 radio's, and tried hooking it up to download the information off of it, but came to find out the need for the proprietary software.

I also have many numerous changes and settings adjustments. In the end, I can always hear but cannot transmit.

A few days ago I was able to get static coming through on our work radios when I transmitted to them, but after resetting the baofeng radio and setting it back up, it no longer does that.

No other radio or repeater will pick up a transmission from the baofeng. No static, no RX LED, nothing. Only the FRS radio was able to recieve the Baofend, but the FRS is on UHF.

I am thinking I might have all the CTCSS and other things correct, but that there us a TX inhibited setting that got activated for VHF when I reset it, as I have heard of this happening to the UV-5R. However, I cannot get the baofeng software to load, I do not have a CD drive in my laptop, the website gets and error part way through download, and CHIRP is unsupported.

The radios that Deputies get issued for more permanent use are JingTong setups, but I am unsure of the model numbers, and these radios are in short supply, so I am still signing them out.

cmdrwill

I wonder.. maybe the OP is trying to hear the repeater on another nearby handheld radio, but the transmitter is blasting out the receiving radio..

ka4gfy

The question of using these cheap Chinese radios in public safety has come up on some of the amateur radio sites as well as here. One long time professional firefighter said it best. Do you REALY want your personal safety to depend on a $50radio?

Rich. KA4GFY

Aero125

Do you REALY want your personal safety to depend on a $50radio?

I sure hope that department doesn't also allow them to carry a .22 revolver and drive a Nissan Versa (pursuit model of course.)

If budget is an issue they could purchase some used commercial radios to get by. Much safer and reliable than a disposable toy on Amazon.

Rred

It does sound like the BF is simply not transmitting the proper tone codes. That's all it takes, or if you have programmed an frequency offset, a wrong offset.

Again, CHIRP is often recommended over the BF software. And CHIRP has no transmit disable for these radios, I don't know if the BF software does. In CHIRP, the column headed "cross mode" and "Duplex" can also be absolute killers. Set the wrong "cross mode" and no one will ever hear you.

I'd suggest posting for help on the CHIRP site, and failing that, take the phone off the hook, lay in a supply of cold drinks (or coffee), and literally try every combination of every setting that has anything to do with tones and variations.

Or...you can buy a Kenwood or Icom and a cloning cable. Yes, it will cost more, but they keep working as they age. The BF's tend to decay pretty quickly. And your com guy may be able to do the programming for you.

SCPD

QRT
Chirp indeed has tx disable option. I suggest using the free chirp software. If you do and can save the image file someone could take a look at it for you. Many do not realize tons of smaller fire and police agencies are on tight budgets. Some have oem or admins that are authoring radio equipment to get by. Many dont qualify for grants passed windows or are waiting in a process. Since politics play a part in it I have seen many agencies fight for a grant while a council or commission says no in favor of grants for something else. The reality of it. Like it or not. If you pm me I can see what the issue is once you have a saved image file from chirp. It's possible the software your using it came with or the front keypad is having it in a mode such as a reverse mode where it's actually tx on a uhf frequency or the offset is off. I have a couple of uv5r. The software it came with is lack there of. The fpp on pad can be confusing if settings aren't made proper. Chirp is the best way to go. If your unsure I could send a dummy load on a image file to give a basic idea. Have used them maonly to monitor a few analog vhf and uhf agencies since we moved onto the apx 8000 and for a odd reason the contractor hasn't put anything in other then the system we are on for now.

Last edited:

DickH

Are you all hard of hearing? (reading?)

The ONLY Baofeng that can LEGALLY be used on his system is a Baofeng UV-82C.

Why are many of you still trying to get him up and running?

Status
Not open for further replies.