• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng BF-F8HP Tone Scanning issue work-around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assenphat

Tone scanning probably doesn't work as the manual instructs on your unit.

Here's a work-around:

NOTE: You cannot save channel settings while in Channel Mode. You MUST use VFO (Frequency) Mode to manually enter the frequency you want to modify, modify the settings, save it, and then transfer it to a channel afterward.

1. In VFO mode, select your desired frequency.
2. Press Menu > 1-1 for CTCSS tones or 1-0 for DCS tones.
3. Press Menu again to enter edit mode.
4. Press the *Scan button.
5. If the setting reads 'OFF', you need to change it to an actual frequency.
6. After changing to a frequency, press Menu to save the setting once. You will probably have now silenced the current receiving channel.
7. Press the Exit button to exit the Menu.

8. Press Menu > 1-1 for CTCSS tones or 1-0 for DCS tones.
9. Press Menu again to enter edit mode.
10. Press *Scan - you should see "CTS" or "DCS" flashing on the left side of the display. Leave it here.

At this point you will NOT see the frequencies scanning unless there is an active received transmission. While you are receiving a transmission, scanning will activate and stop on a detected CTCSS or DCS frequency, if one is detected. At that time you should press the Menu button to save the setting.

DickH

Here's a work-around:

NOTE: You cannot save channel settings while in Channel Mode. You MUST use VFO (Frequency) Mode to manually enter the frequency you want to modify, modify the settings, save it, and then transfer it to a channel afterward.

6. After changing to a frequency, press Menu to save the setting once. You will probably have now silenced the current receiving channel.

10. Press *Scan - you should see "CTS" or "DCS" flashing on the left side of the display. Leave it here.

At this point you will NOT see the frequencies scanning unless there is an active received transmission. While you are receiving a transmission, scanning will activate and stop on a detected CTCSS or DCS frequency, if one is detected. At that time you should press the Menu button to save the setting.

Wouldn't it be easier to use CHIRP?

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
Guess what. I've been trying to figure out how to do this
on my Baofeng BF-F9 +TP radios for months now. The
user manual is nothing but horrible. I started investigating
further and found a web site where 3 users stated that the
CTCSS scan function is NOT enabled on the BF-F9 radios.
OK. so I gave up on trying to figure it out again.
I just read your post and thought to myself, hmmmmmmmmm.
1 more try?????
Why not. Gave it a shot and, I'll be damned, it worked. Thank you
for the post.

XBand

Wow!!! Worked on baofeng gt-3 mark iii as well!! Kind of a pain though. I wonder if anyone knows of a baofeng that does ctcss decoding on the fly! The 997 claims to as well as the 5r. Thank you thank you and thank you Assenphat!!!

regreg

Here's a work-around:

I'm new to radio and I register just to say thank you. I was about to throw this radio against the wall. :)

kfacc

Thnak you

I also just registered a new account just to say thank you. CTCSS scanning was working on my UV-5R but not on my F8HP. Once I did as you said, and started with the F8HP on a CTCSS code, it scanned perfectly.
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.